Author Topic: Massively Multiplayer things  (Read 2572 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Massively Multiplayer things
« on: December 15, 2004, 11:21:40 PM »
I felt the need to create a topic. One of scope, one of vision. One that would be remembered through the ages. Then I ate some chocolate, and made this. Hurrah.

So what does everyone thing of the current lineup of MMO's? Here are my thoughts.

Everquest 2
I tried this. It wants so hard to be a good game, but ends up feeling like a chore. Its just too much effort for minimal enjoyment. The crafting system is great (far better than any other i've seen) and the classes are certainly interesting enough, but the game is just not that much fun. It's also rather bland. Pity, the races were good as well.

World of Warcraft.
The whole world and it's dog is playing WoW. I played the US beta (harhar) and while I enjoyed it enough, for some reason I just don't feel the urge to play it in retail. I did like some of the alliance areas - Darkshore and Ironforge are both truly excellent areas in both ambience and feel.

City of Heroes
The only MMO I've ever played to a large extend. I'm playing it yet again, and they are about to drop another of their issues - their terminology for a big patch. This one gives characters that are level 41+ access to Epic Power Pools (with some very cool sounding powers in them) and, more importantly, two new archetypes. Both of the new ones are amazingly interesting, combining archetype, tertiary power set, power type (mutation etc) and species - the new archetypes appear to be some kind of alien ghost. This screenshot makes me drool. However you can only play this kind of character if you already have a character at level 50. I guess this makes actually finishing a character a real incentive, to get access to these babies.
Plus they are adding a new level 20 - 29 zone, a new villian group and two mid to high 20s encounters (giant octupus attacks and ghost ships for crying out loud).

So what are peoples opinions of these, and other, games? Anything?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: Massively Multiplayer things
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 12:31:07 AM »
Well, I've been playing City of Heroes on Sprig's account recently. I haven't played the others.

I like CoH, but my interest is already starting to wane. I get frustrated on how long it takes to level, and how repetitive some of the missions are. I like playing with a team the most. And the character creation is really cool.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 03:22:03 AM »
I hate random battles in most MMOGs, and I hate grouping--but in CoH I love both. I wish it had more non-combat stuff, but it has easily the best in-combat stuff of any MMOG out there, and many action games as well.

WoW, on the other hand, has me hooked solely on the art direction and crafting, which I never thought I'd get hooked on in any game. Weird.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 03:29:22 AM »
Final Fantasy XI was a chore.  I never thought I'd like and MMORPG.  

Now, I'm hooked by WoW b/c it is just so good.  though I'm tempted to play CoH at some time, WoW will get most of my attention...

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 08:18:48 AM »
I've played a little (Very Little) Lusternia recently. It's an Iron Realms game, their newest, and much like Achea and ilk, except this is cooler. Not many players, but I like a lot of the new features. For example:

* No having to eat myrrh before you train. I like this, having to do it added nothing to the game

*Rifts you need to learn, otherwise you must use a pocketbelt. This really helps the verisimilitude of the world.

*Cool branching skills system

* Everyone gets one of the craft skills, and access to recpies/designs for their city.

*You can play as awesome Cosmic and Divine mages! My very new character, as his standard attack, throws a microscopic piece of void fire at people.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 09:19:56 AM »
I totaly agree with 42 on CoH, the combat is boreing (actualy more boreing then FFXI) and probaly the worst in any game (MMO or not) that I've ever played, missions are all the same and tedious, too long to level (though all MMO's except WoW have that problem) and is only fun with groups.  The character creations is fun, but I got bored with it after a few days since it's not that extensive.  It's cool, especialy for a MMO, but there are so many things missing, and I don't like standard "tights" costumes so there were even less for me to play with.

FFXI was a great looking game, better than WoW in terms of actualy grahpical level, and the world/zones were realy cool.  I loved how the cities actualy felt like cities.  It's biggest downfall was the combat system and how it forced you to group after lvl 15.  Though the fights were intense, meaning if you were fighting mobs your level you had a good chance og dieing if people weren't paying attention.  The skill chains and magic bursts were the only thing I thing other systems should "borrow" from that combat.    Those are basicaly linking special attacks and magic togethor for realy cool combos that do massive damage.  Also the classes in the game were realy well done (except for theif).

WoW has lots of advantages, which are also considered a dubble edged sword in standard MMO thinking, and I hope they don't turn into that.  It's fast to level, crafting is easy and simple and combat is quick.  Someone hit lvl 60 a week and a half after the game was released, I played FFXI for 6 months and never got past 50s (that games max was 75 at the time), and DAoC for about 8 and got 42 out of 50.  I'm allready 36 and riseing.  Am I complaneing?  No, though I know there isn't anything for me to do once I hit 60 (and yes, I don't consider instance runs anything to since there's no real point after haveing done them a few times) until battlegrounds come out in a few months.  The fact that Battle grounds wont be out till probaly Febuary, though I hope one comes out earlier, will hurt Blizz since so many people are max level and have nothing to do.  Crafting is the same way, it takes little effort to hit 300.  Again I'm not complaneing since I did crafting in DAoC and it was tedious (got to 800 in leatherworking).  Though the downside is there's nothing special about being a highlevl crafter in WoW like it is in other games, also the things you can make aren't quite as good, or in demand as in other games.  Art wise I agree with Fell, WoW has got some great art direction (though I don't care for lots of the armor for PCs), and Blizz made a great looking game that isn't as graphics intensive as it might seem.  I actualy like the cartoony feal and look to some things (I commented months ago before beta it look kinda fairytailish, or mother gooseish).  Though I am dissapointed in how bland some of the zones are on Kalimar, half the zones there are basicaly Utah.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 09:25:08 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 09:23:16 AM »
CoH is the only MMO that has remotely tempted me. I hate online crowds. Too many of them are inarticulate social outcasts with not interaction skills trying to stroke their own egos instead of having fun.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004, 01:26:46 PM »
CoH is the only MMO that has remotely tempted me. I hate online crowds. Too many of them are inarticulate social outcasts with not interaction skills trying to stroke their own egos instead of having fun.

Well then you'd hate CoH, since it really requires you to group to get anything done past the first handful of levels.

I liked CoH for the most part, but like other people got bored with the lack of variety. And like SE, I got very tired of grouping with random inarticulate teenagers who just annoyed me.

I did play DAoC for a long time, and while it's generally fun, I think they killed themselves with their own expansions. They made the game so cumbersome that many were driven away by the sheer amount of tedium required to finish some things. And the crafting system sucked.

WoW, at least what I saw in the open beta, does have a LOT of style, and a fun system. However, as I watch my roommate play it, I can't help but be underwhelmed at how it's really just more of the same. CoH really felt original, at least.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Dex1138

• Level 8
  • Resident Star Wars Geek
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Page
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2004, 02:19:42 PM »
Grouping in CoH depends on your character choice. Some are made for supporting a group others are made to be killing machines. I solo probably about 80% of the time.
And finding a good supergroup (guild) to join can greatly reduce the annoying tween/teen players you have to put up with.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2004, 03:08:17 PM »
Dex is right. Much of the time I solo. The rest of the time, when I group, the players tend to be less irritating than they are in other online games. Rome total war has an incredible number of ass-jockies, so I host games and kick with great predujice now. It helps in CoH that people will usually follow anyone that seems to know what they are doing. If someone starts running in a direction, most players will follow automatically in the assumption they know what they are doing. And people get smarter the higher up they are. It takes skill to keep alive at the higher levels, and you need to work together, so people are less and less retarded the further into the game you get.

The other benefit is that it is a LOT easier to get a team in CoH. It was nigh on impossible in EQ2, despite that being another group-heavy game. And WoW was really difficult as well. In CoH, when I decide I want a group, I can often just open up the player listings and go click, click, click and have a several person strong group be created on the spot. I dare you to achieve that often in other games.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2004, 05:19:00 PM »
Yeah, CoH has great grouping functions; I'd like to see something like that in other games.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Dex1138

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Page
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2004, 09:55:59 AM »
Lack of grouping was one of the main reasons I left SWG. For some reason no one wanted an almost Master Pistoleer/Master Tailor in their hunting group.

Even though I solo a lot it's really the group experience that keeps me playing the game. Groups are almost always looking for support "classes", esp. healers. On the other hand, a great group shouldn't need a healer, but that's a whole nother thing ;)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2004, 02:09:15 PM »
The CoH company rule. They are giving out free respecs for christmas. ^_^

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2004, 04:32:46 PM »
Sweet. I need to get back into that game.

Dex1138

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Page
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2004, 11:33:29 AM »
One of the reasons they're giving out the respecs is the addition of Aux. Power Pools at lvl 41. These new powers give each type of character a taste of other class powers.
There's been tons of hubbub about it on the COH forums. The new Issue is now pushed back to Jan due to lots of whining..I mean, player testing.