Author Topic: Hating my project  (Read 2745 times)

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
Re: Hating my project
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2006, 12:59:18 AM »
Two things. Just because your character is self-centered, doesn't mean she can't take notice of what other characters are doing. Just have her mention things in passing, and/or belittle the actions of others. Let the actions of other characters speak for themselves.

The other thing is that I think that it is admirable to write a story where you hamper your strengths. I used to play chess with my grandma's husband whenever I would go over there, and he always beat me. But one thing that he did to really help me was point out a very interesting detail. He told me that I overused my knights, and that it ended up being a major weakness for me. So, for a while, he would make me play without my knights. I found that it made me a much better chess player because I used all the pieces in my strategy instead of just one. Having read one of your stories, I would say that you are very good at characterization. But writing a story where characterization is toned down a bit should help you develop your other writing skills and styles, and make you a much better writer.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
Re: Hating my project
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2006, 01:04:02 AM »
Archon--

Thing one: Yeah, I've been doing that.  It's just hard, because it's not what I'm used to doing.

Thing two: Huh.  You might have a point there.  You certainly have a very good argument.  
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 01:04:53 AM by MsFish »
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes