Author Topic: Oh for gods sake  (Read 10081 times)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: Oh for gods sake
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2004, 05:24:02 PM »
Fuzzy One: You will either grow up, or we will abuse you until you leave us the heck alone.

It's our board, we were here first, and you're in the minority.  
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 05:24:10 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2004, 05:27:08 PM »
oh I'm sorry but i believe I've done nothing to youI.E. I've left you alone or are still angry cuz I'm fuzzy #1
Tappin my feet the the beat of original sin.
http://thenauticalcamel.blogspot.com/

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2004, 05:29:32 PM »
Okay, so here's another instance where you're supposed read before you write.  Go back and read a few of the intros, and see what you're doing wrong.

First off, tell us your real name.  I doubt your parents named you The Fuzzy One.

Second, tell us where you are.  Tell us your age.  Tell us your occupation/status.  Tell us your interests.  Tell us what games you like.  There's no reason to tell us what mental conditions you incite, because we've already learned that, even without reading it.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2004, 05:36:30 PM »
I modifiyed it once again, and this time I dont think you'll find anything wrong with it.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2004, 05:41:13 PM »
Much better, thank you.  I have removed my protest from the thread.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2004, 05:43:09 PM »
no problem  by the way why exactly does the fuzzyoctopus lady hate me, what did i do to her?

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2004, 06:08:20 PM »
Let's see, for spamming the boards and pretending you're not doing anything wrong.

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2004, 06:11:45 PM »
I never said i was'nt doing anything wrong, i said I didnt know i was doing anything wrong. but ya know, i dont want to get intoo another fight so if i have pissed you off i'm sorry madam, i'll try not to in the future but if i do tell me what i'm doing and i'll cut it out
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 06:17:15 PM by arkalith »

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2004, 06:16:13 PM »
Oh just shut up already will yah?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2004, 09:07:20 PM »
I second it.

I am usually a lot more moderate and forgiving than Entropy. If I see a board with a few intelligent, on topic new posts tomorrow, this will be so. If I see a board full of n00b spam, I am going to fly off the handle.

Come Giant Robot weeks official starting, if I still see a board of n00b spam, I'll probably do something I'll later regret, and get kicked off the board for it. YOU SHALT NOT RUIN GIANT ROBOT WEEK FOR ME! Of course, ontopic posts (a SUITABLE number of them) on Giant Robots will be most welcome.

In short, Get Your Act Together.  Throw in a hint too: Read and think before you speak. Two eyes, two ears, two brains (I can justify that) and but one mouth.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2004, 09:48:53 PM »
Fuzzy2 and pal:

Here's the thing we always seem to have to explain to newcomers.  We're not exactly like most message boards (or, at least, we're not like most boards you'll find in fandom.)

Most of the people who post here consider themselves a very literate crowd.  May of us are older, and have college degrees of varying levels.  Even the younger fellows--Entropy, Gemm, JP--generally post very intelligent (sometimes brilliantly funny) comments.  

Throw into that mix two professional novelists, some professional editors, and a mash of powerful egos, and you've got a forum that comes off as somewhat elitist.  And, in a way, we are just that.  We expect people's posts to be worth our time.

I think, personally, that people react a bit harshly when newcomers post.  I've seen that most message boards are more accustomed, and lenient, with spam posting than we are.  Don't be offended--just try to remember that we read the board because we want to have interesting discussions, and would enjoy it if you took part in them.  

http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2004, 09:54:01 PM »
1. I'm fuzzy1 2. I would really like it if Jampaladin would stop harassing us at every turn other than that I have tried to make amends for the spamfest last night, i f you check my recent posts they do not stray off topic and have a point, I even posted a perfectly valid thread about community service but Jampaladin felt the need to harass me there also, it seems he cant drop it and I dont mean to embarass him with this but to tell him publicly that if he's going to harass ne leave me alone, but if he has something interesting to say, by all means do so.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2004, 10:32:18 PM »
Good, then. I will consider that an official apology and assume that you will become regulars of the board and continue to add intelligent thoughts to our discussions.

I usually takes, what, Gorgon - a week or so of non-spammy posts?

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2004, 10:39:38 PM »
Well, I took about a day of weird posting, being my anti Bush.  Then I had a day of arguing with everyone and yelling, by my third day I think I was golden, definately by my fourth, I think.  So no, if he were to pull things together he could be golden by monday.  But as is I am also becoming angry due to consistant cursing which I find innapropriate.  A little here and there MAYBE, but almost every friggin' post man, pull it together!
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2004, 10:43:43 PM »
heh. I love that.

Anyway, yes, we are probably too harsh, and that's why I'm trying to make it up.

However, concerning names. I'm rarely (if ever) the final arbiter of what the community will actually CALL someone.  way back when most of us worked on the staff of a magazine together, a second person named Ethan joined the staff. He was dubbed E3. Yes, you'll notice an incongruity in the math there. Anyway, the number following your name will vary until the community at large settles into what we're going to call you. Fuzzy 2 seems the most likely candidate, if I'm any sort of prophet. Note that how you are referred to on the board does NOT imply you should change your display name. It's just how people are going to keep you straight.