Author Topic: Top100 dating  (Read 6020 times)

Eric James Stone

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Eric James Stone's Website
Re: Top100 dating
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2006, 06:11:26 PM »
#1 Dating Tip: Go to BYU -- the sure-fire path to marriage!

I was at BYU for 4 years and didn't even get engaged, so I got a refund of all the tuition I paid.
Eric James Stone
Nebula Award Nominated Author
Read my serialized novel Unforgettable for free online.

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2006, 08:07:24 PM »

I got married while I was at BYU but I discovered that for male BYU student to get married/engaged, they have to a take a weight lifting class while they are at BYU. At least, that was the case for me, all of the male students in my BYU weight lifting class (and most of the female students), and all the BYU grads that I knew in Wisconsin (at least the married ones).

I'm sure some BYU students get married without taking a weight lifting class but they are the lucky and naturally good-looking ones.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2006, 08:09:54 PM »
Ah, see, there's my problem. I didn't know the weight-lifting class secret. And here I thought I'd do all my P.E. classes in something that was fun, like Irish dance--the only guy in which had a falsetto voice.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2006, 12:32:09 AM »

I was at BYU for 4 years and didn't even get engaged, so I got a refund of all the tuition I paid.

Hey, I didn't get a refund!  Where did you find the paperwork for that?  

Also, the weightlifting thing doesn't always work.   :'(
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2006, 01:55:01 PM »

Perhaps this is the real reason why I haven't been able to finish my undergrad degree. Not because of my health, but because I haven't found a mate!!  ;)

I've still got time to try the weight-lifting trick. I wonder if they teach that at the Salt Lake Center, along with my Spanish classes...

Although, moving to California has done wonders for my social life. We'll see how long it lasts--I've still got the novelty of being the new girl and all.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2006, 02:06:51 PM »
Well, I don't know if that weight-lifting class thing works. I did indeed take the class and I was married by the time I graduated, but I took the class after I was married. Does that count? Maybe it was the fact that one day I would take that the class that made it work.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2006, 02:37:30 PM »
I never took a weightlifting class and was engaged two weeks before my junior year.

The theory is flawed, I think.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

The Lost One

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2006, 03:07:58 PM »
If the weight-lifting class doesn't work, there must be some intervening variable, see other dating tips.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2006, 07:31:17 PM »
I figured this was the best place to put this, what with all the "how to get  married at BYU" tips...

From an article on MSN dating statistics:

3. The best place for single people on the prowl is New York, where 50 percent of state residents are unmarried, and Washington, D.C., where a whopping 70 percent of the population is single. The worst places are Idaho, where 60 percent of people are married; and Utah, where 59 percent of people are married.

http://msn.match.com/msn/article.aspx?articleid=5288&TrackingID=516311&BannerID=544657&menuid=6&Gt1=7569
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2006, 07:45:57 PM »
Well, see, that doesn't mean those are good places to actually have a relationship.   That's a logical falacy.  They should do a poll on how many people in New York and DC WANT to get into a relationship, or get married.  That would be a more accurate measure of how great it is for people who want to date.  

Then again, if you're just looking for one night stands, those stats look great.   ;D :P
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 07:47:03 PM by MsFish »
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

The Lost One

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2006, 07:53:04 PM »
I agree with Fish.

Also, New York and D.C. are not the most family-friendly places to live, particularly in the middle of the city. Utah and Idaho are great, family-friendly places that actually encourage people to get married. I can't say the same about D.C. or New York.

In addition, my experience has been that single peope tend to gravitate towards large cities because there is more to do in a large cities. Families, on the other hand, can be content to live in more suburban or rural conditions (why else would anyone live in Iowa).

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2006, 08:53:35 PM »
Well, see, that doesn't mean those are good places to actually have a relationship.   That's a logical falacy.  They should do a poll on how many people in New York and DC WANT to get into a relationship, or get married.  That would be a more accurate measure of how great it is for people who want to date.  

Then again, if you're just looking for one night stands, those stats look great.   ;D :P

Agreed, I just thought the stats were kind of funny.  Or rather, I think it was funny that I was even  slightly surprised that Utah and Idaho have the hightest percentage of married population.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2006, 12:05:57 AM »
I think one of the reasons so many people are married there is because they're good places to go to get married.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2006, 12:37:40 AM »

Agreed, I just thought the stats were kind of funny.  Or rather, I think it was funny that I was even  slightly surprised that Utah and Idaho have the hightest percentage of married population.

Yes, they certainly are amusing.  So it's *not* coincidence like I feel like everyone I know out here is married.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2006, 09:12:19 AM »
Yes, they certainly are amusing.  So it's *not* coincidence like I feel like everyone I know out here is married.  

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Also, New York and D.C. are not the most family-friendly places to live, particularly in the middle of the city. Utah and Idaho are great, family-friendly places that actually encourage people to get married. I can't say the same about D.C. or New York.

I want to take issue with this. Inner city may not be a very good place, but the greater metropolitan area is VERY family friendly. AND there are many more family activities and locations in the area than I ever found in the whole of Utah.