Author Topic: review: Mechwarrior: Age of Destrution  (Read 1692 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
review: Mechwarrior: Age of Destrution
« on: February 28, 2005, 11:55:55 AM »
reference: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=992

Yet ANOTHER set for clix fans to obsess about.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: review: Mechwarrior: Age of Destrution
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 12:01:28 PM »
great, more money for Fell to waste on non-heroclix.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 12:43:28 PM »
More money? Sweet!
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 02:25:19 PM »
I wasn't unfavorable to MW when I first played, but after last night's game (Fell, Gemm, and I) I'm thinking that it's a pretty fun game.  The way they did the Mechs and how they work in the game is cool, as well as the array of other support pieces.  And the sculpts are neat!

My only beef is a gerenal beef for many tabletop affairs: the measuring tape means of determining position and range.  I like the surety of a fixed means of determining position and range (like the Heroclix grid.)  While I do appreciate the flexibility and added realism of measuring tape means, it just seems that in a game where relative position is so important the pieces end up getting picked up, bumped, etc. too much.  I know the grid simplifies, perhaps too much, but I favor simplicity here when weighing the ads and disads of the two systems.

This is all probably stemming from the factthat at times I can be inept with a measuring tape.  But anyways, here's to someone who can invent a more flexible means of movement/position/range determination for table top games, that also offers the stability I seek.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 02:38:19 PM »
Yes, last night's game was fun. The more I play it the more I realize that the combined arms are the key to the game--pure mechs wouldn't be nearly as interesting, because it would just be a boxing match between a couple of big thugs who can do everything. Bringing in the different unit types suddenly makes tactics and positioning and coordination very important. Which also makes measuring and moving kind of a pain in the butt, as Kije mentioned, but I've never been too bothered by it. A system as controlled as Heroclix yet as flexible as a measuring tape is a tricky problem indeed.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 03:23:48 PM »
I'm thinking any such fix would not be so much a system one as a practical methods one: in other words, no messing with rules, but improving the way the figures are handled and measurements made.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 03:24:03 PM by Lieutenant_Kije »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 08:40:30 PM »
Something I know others do is use magnets Kije.  They use magnetic tape on the figures and then would use a thin piece of metal the size of a battlefeild.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2005, 12:30:06 AM »
Kije, you totally suggested that last night. Either way I think using a more sturdy measuring stick would be better. Like the one I got from my 40K box thing years and years ago. Otherwise I found it to be rather fun. Aside from not completely understanding the rules until pretty much the end of the game. =P I probably won't get into it unless I find a group of people that play. And I know my current grouping of friends won't be into that anytime soon.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2005, 01:40:47 AM »
WK listed the US National winner's teams and none of the top 4 had a mech in it, kinda ironic.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 01:41:18 AM by Spriggan »