Author Topic: The Da Vinci Code  (Read 5945 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: The Da Vinci Code
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2006, 05:34:49 PM »
He's right in saying that it's more of a history lesson than a novel--that's 100% correct, and it's the novel's biggest failing. The next biggest failing, of course, is that it's all made-up history designed solely to support the novel. The end result is an artificial background propping up a fun but poorly-written story.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Shir Hashirim

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Knowing the mysterious, the imaginary, seems to me as vital as breathing, for without it, how can we further our society?

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2006, 08:18:40 PM »
Just so you know, you might like to try finding more secular sites. Quoting a handful of religious sites in response to a book those religions are pre-disposed to dislike doesn't really help a case.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Shir Hashirim

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2006, 08:41:07 PM »
Haha.  Good point.  *remembers why she isn't very good at debating*
Knowing the mysterious, the imaginary, seems to me as vital as breathing, for without it, how can we further our society?

Connectz

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2006, 10:31:00 PM »
Also, when it comes to debunking conspiracy theories, who makes the skeptic or debunker the automatic authority on the subject?  

I find that relying solely on skeptic/debunker's final say regarding anything that has to do with history or "conspiracy theories" is not a good thing to do because a lot of times, these debunkers/skeptics are using the "safe and proven fact-base" to debunk such alternative knowledge.

I have done some studying on the things Dan Brown presents in his book MANY years before the book even came out (since about 1994).  Truth be told, yes, some of the things he mentions in his book are fiction (much regarding the Priory is misconstrued purposely I believe) but a lot of it is not.  Do your research on the Pagan and Ancient Egyptian religions and you will understand.  The Council of Nicea was a real and documented event.

I find that many people who try to debunk this book are hard-core christians that will not even attempt to have an open mind.  (This is in no way an attempt to Bash the christian religion or any of its followers.)

Shir Hashirim

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2006, 12:30:39 AM »
True, but one could say the same things about the other side.

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2006, 12:31:10 PM »
I find that many people who try to debunk this book are hard-core christians that will not even attempt to have an open mind.

I went to a panel at the National Popular Culture Convention on this book two or three years ago.  The panel was comprised of well-respected grail scholars, and it pretty much boiled down to one thing: Da Vinci Code was poorly researched garbage.

I've read the book and enjoyed it, but only as popcorn fare.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2006, 04:14:09 PM »

I find that many people who try to debunk this book are hard-core christians that will not even attempt to have an open mind.  (This is in no way an attempt to Bash the Christian religion or any of its followers.)

I'm both a Christian and a student of history and while the Da Vinci Code is an interesting conspiracy theory its like any other conspiracy theory in that there's absolutely no evidence to support it.  Also another thing that goes to debunk it is that this "conspiracy" has only been around for about the last 20-30 years and wasn't one that was around at Da Vinci's time.

The thing about the book is it combines true events, Nicean Council, with fictional ones to try and make it more realistic.  Most Christians have heard of the Nicean Council so when they read that it subconsciously tells them that "oh this I know about so that other thing might be true too".  It's a fairly common trick in historical fiction.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 04:17:46 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Connectz

• Level 1
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2006, 11:16:59 PM »
Not about to get into a debate about what is or isn't true in about the book.  You are free to believe whatever you please.

Have a good day.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2006, 11:41:21 PM »
** Lt. Kije sets this thread on fire and sneaks away grinning

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2006, 11:48:46 PM »
The only thing I know about the Da Vinci Code is that the art history community is cringing over it. It simply teaches bad art history. It makes reference to portions of art works that don't exist and give bad interpretations of art works.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2006, 03:25:31 PM »
The only thing I know about the Da Vinci Code is that the art history community is cringing over it. It simply teaches bad art history. It makes reference to portions of art works that don't exist and give bad interpretations of art works.

Aha! Proof that you're reading TWG when you should be gaming!
Bad player! No cookie!  ;)
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2006, 01:43:26 AM »
My History emphasis is Western Medieval History.  I disliked the Da Vinci Code on several levels:
a) The plot and characterization are very poor, as has been discussed.
b) Many of the simple events in the book are clearly unresearched.  In fact, within the first chapter the killing that occured struck me as highly unrealistic.  (He died from a stomach wound how quickly, with very little blood loss?)
c)  The history is largely BS.  He took a few speculative theories or pseudohistorical works and ran with them, inventing or borrowing theories where history didn't fit his storyline well enough.  It scares me that so many Americans accept it as accurate.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2006, 09:32:02 AM »
/me throws diesel on as Kije sneaks out.