Author Topic: Syriana  (Read 1427 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Syriana
« on: December 16, 2005, 05:04:24 PM »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: Syriana
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 06:34:35 PM »
What the...

Nice review, but what on earth is with the dual scoring? That's just silly and needlessly divergent from the rest of the site.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 06:56:48 PM »
It's something we're trying to see if we like. Give it a week or two.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 07:14:21 PM »
we hates it precious... we hates it forever...
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 07:37:46 PM »
We're not too fond of it.

I really don't see what is so confusing about the 6 clock system. It's like any other scale system. Find the middle, make that the average. Decide what you think should be average or acceptable and what should be above average or below average. The four star system works the same way.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 07:59:14 PM »
Six actually gives more room for accuracy as it give a wider spread.... ;D
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 09:20:00 PM »
Numbers mean nothing. It's all about the actual review text. That's why I always randomly picked a number, typed my stuff, then changed the number again. So having 2 numbers instead of 1 just doubles the nothing-ness.

:P
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Paul_Gibbs

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Scorcese in '07
    • View Profile
    • www.laughingstock.us
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 01:49:15 AM »
You know, I'm not going to accept any crap about not understanding the six clocks system until we can get our last name spelled correctly in a headline.  ;D

Seriously, the editors omitted something in my article that expalined why exactly the six clock system doesn't work for me. I simply base my reviews on my assesment of a film's quality, not whether it reinvents the genre or whatever. It's almost trying to quantify art on a mathematical level which doesn't really make sense to me.

The six clock system seems to imply that different and unsual is inherently better, and I disagree with that. "Aeon Flux" was the most different movie I've seen all year, but it was awful.

I
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 01:56:55 AM by Paul_Gibbs »
"So long, and thanks for all the fish."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 02:01:36 AM »
Again, while I agree with all the duel score comments that have been made, I would ask everyone to move that to the suggestion board instead of the movie board.  I feel that since it's something important what you all have to say about it should be consolidated instead of thrown about in a bunch of different movie threads.

Just because I know you people will never make a thread and will just keep complaining where without some where else to do so I went ahead and created one.  So please move that part of this thread to here

Now that that's out of the way, I've been debating seeing this movie but haven't decided yet.  Not because of the politics involved but because it seams more like a watch at home movie instead of a watch at the theater movie.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 02:12:45 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005, 05:09:36 PM »
You know, I'm not going to accept any crap about not understanding the six clocks system until we can get our last name spelled correctly in a headline.  ;D

Sorry about the 's' guys.  

FYI to all and sundry: The last name is Gibbs.  The s goes on the end whether it's a single, paul or patrick, or it's the "Brothers Gibbs" byline.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005, 09:54:21 AM »
I always put the S in. So now you can take our crap and LIKE IT! *giggle*