Author Topic: Looking for Advice  (Read 1956 times)

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Looking for Advice
« on: August 31, 2006, 08:02:34 PM »
So I played my first pencil and paper RPG on the way down to WorldCon with Fell, EUOL, MsFish and CtrlZed.  I really enjoyed it, and I think my wife would, too.  The only problem is that we don't really have time to get together with other people to do this--it would be best if we could play just the two of us.  So a couple of questions:

First, are 2 player RPGs any fun?  Do they work?  I'm not afraid of being DM--I write fantasy books, after all, and I've played my fair share of computer RPGs--but can this actually work?  How?

If it could work, what do I need to start?  I've been looking at the DnD Basic Game.  Would that be good?

I don't know much about this, obviously, and I know a lot of you do.  So I guess I'll just start with those Qs and see what you have to say.  Thanks in advance.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Looking for Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 08:06:01 PM »
Answer: No to everything.

While you can run an RPG with just one player and one GM it's really hard since most games are balanced towords having 3 or more players.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 08:37:11 PM »
Firstly of all, Spriggan is entirely wrong. You can have a good DM/GM and one player character games. You just need a good GM and plenty of story to surround them with. It really isn't much work, especially if the GM already creates tons of content beforehand for the game.

Now, you don't really need to use D&D in this instance. In fact, I recommend using Risus for just such an adventure. It's the "Anything RPG" and is very versatile to doing what you want. And it's more geared toward RPers than Dice Rollers.

D&D would just bog you two down with semantics and rules that you really don't need.

If you need anything clarified just ask, I'll be more than willing to try and help you out.

http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/risus.htm
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 08:50:13 PM »
I disagree with Gemm. they just don't work.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 08:52:45 PM »
And just to show you that it can be done, in case you're still not believing it, here are two people creating the world of La Fin, wherein you can find the summaries and the "dreams" (the creation of the world) in progress. The game is over however, so there's no new content there.

Addendum: This used the Risus system. And the GM admits "and, in reality, I never really rolled the dice anyway."
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 08:56:02 PM by Gemm »
                William S. Burroughs

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 08:55:10 PM »
See, the problem here Spriggan, is you're a coder. Coders by nature believe in the worst, such as is right now. However, you just need someone who is adamant about writing to really sit down with you and just blow your mind. Or at least just try and suade you to the better side.
                William S. Burroughs

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 09:26:37 PM »
You can play with just two people. I don't recommend it. It is sort of wierd.

Generally, between four and seven players is best.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 10:06:31 PM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 09:30:36 PM »
Yes, for D&D this is a good number. Or most other games, I will agree. However, one-on-one is possible if necessary. But, if you can try to get some others to create variables that are unknown to the GM to create situations that you may have never thought of.

THAT is the better part of having a larger group. There can be many differing opinions on what may and can happen.

I hope this has been helpful P-arker.
                William S. Burroughs

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 10:13:29 PM »
See, the problem here Spriggan, is you're a coder. Coders by nature believe in the worst, such as is right now. However, you just need someone who is adamant about writing to really sit down with you and just blow your mind. Or at least just try and suade you to the better side.

That made absolutely no sense.  

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 10:16:48 PM »
That is, as stated before, that you are a coder. Take it upon yourself to revel in the light that has been passed down upon me. Think of me as the younger, apprenticed SE.
                William S. Burroughs

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 08:50:17 AM »
that sentence didn't make much sense either.

I have played in 2-player games that worked before. But they inevitably fall into one of two categories. 1) a brilliant gm. Not just pretty good, but BRILLIANT. With adventures designed for just one person, which means none of the publically available ones I know of. 2) the game becomes more of a tactical game than a roleplaying game, with the player controlling 2-4 characters. I played this way with my brother for years. It was fun, but what I did wasn't really role playing. That can be ok and fun if you like that sort of thing, just be aware of what it is and what it isn't.

I actually think the D&D Adventure Game is a good gentle introduction to how the game works. However, again, it doesn't teach role playing. It doesn't teach much at all about collaborative storytelling or character interaction. If you design the dungeon well, it can be a problem solving aspect.

What I would recommend, however, is to find a group that meets every other week or so. Any system. Just plop in and play. THere are few games that are entirely inappropriate for newbies, most you can pick up as you go along, and the social nature of the group game will immerse you in taking on a specific role.

You have to recognize, that even with what Gemm says, that you can have a good game with 2 people, it innately requires that at least one of them be very very good and probably quite experienced. It's not recommended for new comers.

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 12:19:48 PM »
Thanks for the advice, all.  Certainly much to think about.  Not sure yet what I'll end up doing, but you've all helped.