Author Topic: New fan  (Read 2231 times)

Linternet

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
New fan
« on: June 29, 2006, 10:44:49 AM »
My name is Brian.

I recently picked up Elantris and found it to be one of the the best fantasy novels I have ever read.

I also read the main site and these forums a bit before posting and, I'm sorry to say, knowing that Mr. Sanderson reads and often responds to posts on this forum is only going to lead me to camp here and beg him to write faster :).

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: New fan
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 10:46:29 AM »
frankly, it's hard to write faster than Brandon already does. I think the only people who write faster are Stephen King, Danielle Steele, and Piers Anthony.

Linternet

• Level 3
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 11:05:42 AM »
Wow. Quick response.

I was kidding.  I admit that, when it comes to authors I like,  "When's the next book coming out?" is the first question on my mind.  I do, however, respect the fact that authors need to write at their own pace.  Some, like the authors you mentioned, are remarkably fast while others (i.e. George RR Martin, Kristen Britain) take their time between novels.  

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 11:08:08 AM »
lol.  Terry probably has me beat too.  How many Discworld books are there?  Like 80?

Welcome, Brian.  If you're needing random things to read, I'm sure you've seen the WARBREAKER chapters I'm posting.  I'm afraid they're very rough yet, so don't judge me too harshly based on them.  MISTBORN will probably be the thing that will suit your tastes best.  It'll be out in a month or so.

http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 11:19:17 AM »
ok, I'll concede Terry Pratchet.

Linternet

• Level 3
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 11:38:02 AM »
lol.  Terry probably has me beat too.  How many Discworld books are there?  Like 80?

Welcome, Brian.  If you're needing random things to read, I'm sure you've seen the WARBREAKER chapters I'm posting.  I'm afraid they're very rough yet, so don't judge me too harshly based on them.  MISTBORN will probably be the thing that will suit your tastes best.  It'll be out in a month or so.

I saw the release date on Amazon.  I'm looking forward to it.  I will definitely start reading Warbreaker.  Thank you for being so generous with your work.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 01:23:11 PM »
Barbara Cartland wrote over 70 books in one year, but they were romance novels so I'm not sure they actually count.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Linternet

• Level 3
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 01:33:21 PM »
Barbara Cartland wrote over 70 books in one year, but they were romance novels so I'm not sure they actually count.

That's a new book (almost) every 5 days!  That has to be some kind of record.

Do you know if she actually wrote them in a year or did was she newly published and just dumped a stack of them on the market?

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 05:24:00 PM »
Wow, in her 98 years of life, she wrote 724 books. That's more than Isaac Asimov.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

chunktile

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 03:17:10 AM »
My cousin, Stacy, told me to read Elantris, and I wasn't sure if I'd like it. Once I started reading it, though, I lost sleep for a few nights finishing it. Really, it's one of my favorite fantasy books.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 03:17:28 AM by chunktile »
If everyone is different, then no one is the same. With no definition of the normal, aren't we all insane?

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 08:19:59 PM »
Sounds like what happened to me, only replace Stacer with Fell's wife and started reading with Brandon coming to my class to talk about it. Then I read it.
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.