Author Topic: survey...  (Read 2440 times)

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
survey...
« on: April 20, 2004, 07:51:47 PM »
a freind of mine asked me these two questions today, and it got me thinking...so what do you guys think?
first question:
If you were given the chance to find out when, where, and how you will die, would you want to?
and second:
If you could choose a way to die, what would it be?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 07:55:49 PM by arkalith »
Tappin my feet the the beat of original sin.
http://thenauticalcamel.blogspot.com/

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
Re: survey...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 08:50:14 PM »
Answer to A, no.  This would in time alter the fact in question and therefor turn it into a myth.  If I knew I was gonna die by falling off a twenty story building in a tutu, I wouldn't wear tutu's anymore and I would be safe, see?

Secondly, why does it matter?  We all die, it's done then, there's no looking back on death once your dead, so it's not like you're gonna look back and say," Man, I wish I had been trampled by giant critters instead of taking that cyanide pill".
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 08:53:20 PM »
sorry, i meant if you could know when how and where, and not be able to change it. and second i mean would you rather die of old age, or would you maybe rather die doing something you liked , i mean if you could choose you probly wouldnt take something slow and painful

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 08:56:50 PM »
I don't think there are too many things that can happen to you that you can find out about and have absolutely no say in whether or not it happens given a resonable amount of time.  And secondly, while I am alive I would like to die instantly, but how I die instantly really doesn't matter as, again, I won't look back at it...

The idea of dying while taking enemies with me is an idea I agree with as long as my death is not self imployed.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 08:57:36 PM »
A)  Yes.  I think it would be interesting.  

b) Hum.  Holding a flaming sword and bravely fighting against an overwhelming hoard of evil monsters, sacrificing myself so that others can escape, then becoming a ghost and helping my young apprentice in his adventures has its allure.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 09:00:50 PM »
well thats an interesting answer, i meant something a lil more plausable, but it works.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 09:09:31 PM »
1) No, it'd freak me out too much.

2) Being told a Joke so funny I laughed to death.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004, 10:51:14 PM »
thats pretty good, i personally would prefer something involving a whole lotta food or....

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2004, 12:55:54 AM »
1)  Yes, I think I would.  Then I could plan ahead so I'd be ready to die at the time.  

2)  I think I'd like to be on a rollercoaster that goes nuts or something.  Then at least my last thoughts could be, "See, I KNEW there was a good reason to be afraid of heights!"
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2004, 01:18:48 AM »
Sure, I'd like to know. Even though I'd forget it soon after hearing when.

Probably... hmmm, well it'd be a bit hard for me to say with my love in my arms, since I'm not currently married/dating/whatever. If I had to choose a different way though, not being eaten. Nor in a car crash of sorts. Possibly by being shot from a M1 Garand.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2004, 07:34:24 AM »
no. if I know when it's going to happen, I'll just get all depressed over how I haven't gotten everything done I wanted to.

I would like to simply transcend my body and become one with the infinite. Painlessly.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2004, 11:32:54 AM »
a) Nah. Takes the fun out of it. I'd start counting down to it. Although being able to take a huge loan out a month before you cork it would be fun.

b) Dunno. Exhaustion by means of sexual acts maybe. Either that or some glorious battlefield thing that makes me all famous and stuff.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2004, 01:01:17 PM »
see, this is where you have to be careful in your phrasing. If those were wishes, well, let's just say that I'd have a field day with making Entropy suffer before he "corks it"

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2004, 01:28:20 PM »
Heheh... i have been told of the wish spell that was cast with a 50 word sentence carefully outlining every possible angle.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2004, 03:01:18 PM »
A. No, like it was said before, I'd just start counting down to it.  Plus, those around me would notice and they'd get depressed, then I'd be depressed by their depression, then strangers who don't know anything about us would be standing next to us and notice how depressed we all are, so they'd become depressed, and so on . . .

B.  Old age, healthy enough for my age, and while I'm asleep.  Just heard about someone who passed away like that and it sounded great for him - though a bit sudden for his relatives.
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring