Author Topic: The Christmas Carol that Annoys You Most:  (Read 7904 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
The Christmas Carol that Annoys You Most:
« on: November 28, 2003, 12:42:19 PM »
For me, it "The Little Drummer Boy"
I mean, I appreciate the sentiment. whatever you can give is enough. However, couldn't be be a piper or something? Because no sane mother on the planet EVER is going to let some kid play a DRUM next to their new-born child.

On top of that, no one ever spot lights their drummer when they play the song. You have a song ABOUT A DRUMMER and half the time it's a guitarist who's the featured instrumentalist, if they don't just leave it to the vocalist with those lame "pa-rum-pum-pums" Why can't Neil Pert or Tito Puente do a version? That would at least SOUND cool.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: The Christmas Carol that Annoys You Most:
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2003, 01:24:26 PM »
I totally agree. Thats about the only one that really makes me upset. I do like that pa-rum part though. I gave a Johnny Cash CD a try... oh man. That was bad. He sang in about 3 or 4 of the songs, and the rest he just talked. I don't see why he's so good.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2003, 03:42:50 PM »
Assuming we're talking about actual carols and not just Christmas songs, then The Little Drummer Boy is a clost second to the worst song- Do you Hear What I Hear.

Apart from carols, the dogs barking Jingle Bells is the worst.  
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2003, 03:52:40 PM »
See, that can't be it: because people recognize how evil that song is and hardly anyone sings it anymore. Drummer Boy, however, people think is good for some reason, and every idiot sings it, though no drummers play it.

and yeah, what's up with those barking dogs? the producer of that should be made sterile so as not to afflict the rest of us ever again.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2003, 05:04:28 PM »
I thought of another one I hate- 'I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus'   ARRRGH.  That song makes me puke.

As long as my husband doesn't make me listen to David Bowie singing Little Drummer Boy, I can take it.  It's survivable even if I hate it.

Why doesn't anyone ever play the Christmas carols I sung in choirs for so many years?  Candlelight Carol, or Tomorrow Shall Be My Dancing Day?  There are so many good Christmas songs written that we don't need to hear JingleBell Rock 50 times a day, no matter how catchy it is.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2003, 01:53:20 PM »
"I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" because I hate snow. And I like the dogs barking "Jingle Bells". It's not like it's some ultra wonderful song in the first place, and I think it's funny.

I agree with fuzzy on traditional carols though. Songs like "'Lo How a Rose 'Ere Blooming" and "The Holly and the Ivy". I recommend Mannheim Steamroller, though most of their stuff is instrumental.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2003, 08:08:16 PM »
Maggie Sansone or Kim Robertson and John Fahey also all do very good instrumental versions on their respective instruments. many of them of very old tunes. Another good one is Mason Williams. His Christmas album is way cool, but again, all instrumental.

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2003, 08:24:56 PM »
If you want really cool Christmas music, you should listen to Trans Siberian Orchestra.  They are wonderful!

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2003, 09:33:39 PM »
Which Christmas carol do I really hate? How about ALL OF THEM.

Christmas music seriously annoys me, a lot. Especially since Christmas stopped being a celebration about peace and goodwill, and started to be about capitalism and making money. Which would be my whole life.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2003, 09:37:59 PM »
no offense, but that's a fairly adolescent response.  Christmas is only about what YOU celebrate it with. It's only commercial if YOU'RE commercial.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2003, 09:41:00 PM »
Yeah!! Christmas is about family, Christmas is about having chilli at Grandma's the night before and being forced to stay in my room until a decent hour of the morning (7) because my dad is very scary. Christmas is about Grandma's amazing fudge and sugar cookies, and Christmas trees. And presents, and giving presents, and seeing a happy look on someone's face because you got them something they actually wanted.

And very good point Brenna.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2003, 09:52:33 PM »
True. The trouble is, everyone around me IS commercial. But...well, you're right.

I still don't like Christmas music though.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2003, 10:09:41 PM »
Wow, Izzy, you guys have chili at grandma's on Christmas Eve, too? So does my family. Chili and clam chowder (not in the same pot), then off to midnight mass at Grandma's Lutheran church a block down the street. Then back to grandma's to play Santa, stuff the stockings, etc. and stay up till 2 am giggling with my cousins. Then get woken up at 7 by the little kids who are clamoring to open presents. Though thankfully our Christmas mornings have become later and later in recent years as the grandkids grow up and the great-grandkids aren't old enough yet.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2003, 10:15:58 PM »
My vote goes to Carol of the Bells.  

Eeesh.  Just thinking about it gives me shivers.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2003, 11:20:29 AM »
Yep. She cooks it in an emense pot that sits over two burners. And there is grated cheese and chopped onions and soup crackers. And then there is usually Martinelles and sugar cookies and fudge and peanut brittle and the kids each get to open one present and it is much fun.