Author Topic: Janet Reno vs. Ann Coulter  (Read 1175 times)

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Janet Reno vs. Ann Coulter
« on: March 11, 2005, 02:23:18 PM »
Ok, so I went, with a friend, to UB last night to see Janet Reno debate against Ann Coulter. Now, Coulter is probably the hottest woman in the political front. I enjoyed her opening statement and duely noted all the liberals booing her. She took that very well. However, [Madam Attorney Gerneral] (as Coulter put it) seemed very breif in her responses during the Q&A part. She is getting old and such, but at times she couldn't really finish her sentences. My friend told me it's some kind of disease (but what isn't nowadays).

Reno basically said that she foresees a female president in her lifetime, but not a third party candidate winning presidency in her lifetime. Coulter, of course, bashed on Democrats and liberals. She did however make some good points.

I didn't stick around to meet Misz Coulter, but I sure would have liked to. MMmmm
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Oseleon

• Level 8
  • Wie Fieles Russlander Fur Ein Panzer Halten?
    • View Profile
Re: Janet Reno vs. Ann Coulter
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 01:25:06 PM »
Watch Last Supper
Listen to Ron Pearlman's explanation of his ultra conservative stance.  
I think that MUST be the mindset behind Coulter's rhetoric.  
I also think that she is a Rattings junkie like Jesse Jackson and is shameless in opportunities to get herself some face-time.  If that means absurdist comments far to the right of Liddy,  so be it.  

Heck, I'm a conservative.  I'd even go as far to admit that you could plrobabaly call me a neo-con (it sounds so Transformers)
But I also find Coulter to be a useless distraction (like Moore and Frankin) from actual debate.  

In the idealistic fanatasy I have,  people would be able to express their views on political issues in a way that each participant would weigh and judge the ideal on the merit of the idea in relation to their world-view.  
Coulter, Moore etc tend to turn Polotics into Monday-Night football, with rivalries and a Winning/Loosing side.  
Alles!!!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 01:49:15 PM »
More than th at, they make it look weak to change your mind. That's the whole philosophy behind the campaign against Kerry: He changed his mind, he must not be dedicated.  (I'm not going to get into an argument about whether Kerry was really so wishy-washy or not, and no, I didn't vote for him -- I'm just saying this is symptomatic of the sort of political discourse we have these days). That's what I tire of of the pundits on the air today. They don't just express their view, they belittle anyone who doesn't agree with their view before an alternative can be expressed in their presence.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 02:25:19 PM »
The problem I have is that these pundits (Coulter, Hannity, Moore, Frankin) sound something like political apologists -- they have already decided that Republicans or Democrats are 100% correct, and then they justify their beliefs to correlate.

The problem I have with a two-party system is that no one ever fits into completely into the party mold -- for example, I am more liberal on issues like the environment or social welfare, but I'm more conservative on foreign policy and gun control.  People like Coulter cannot have any kind of cross-over into the "enemy's" territory -- it's all or nothing.

That said, I get a kick out of Ann Coulter -- she may be extremist, but she's funny.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 09:15:56 PM »
I disagree that she's funny, but d agree that 90% of her schtick is just that acting. Broadcast news has become more and more of an entertainment venue than anything else. People like Coulter and Moore have to be smart enough to recognize that people who have a different point of view aren't bad, I think they make a conscious choice to tick people off because they know it will fill seats.

that being said she still ticks me off.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 09:17:44 PM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 02:50:36 PM »
From her new column:
I keep expecting the real Democrats to appear and drag these nuts out of the room, saying, Oh sorry, he's escaped again -- don't worry, he does this all the time, and then Howard Dean will stand up and have no pants on.

Come on... that's funny stuff.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 02:51:19 PM by House_of_Mustard »

www.robisonwells.com

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 02:56:49 PM »
ok, seriously Homsar, that's funny.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 03:07:22 PM »
yeah, THAT stuff is funny, but she has many positions that aren't even remotely funny, and she announces them constantly. It makes me ill to listen to her long enough to hear her witty lines.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 04:45:29 PM »
Well I don't ever listen to her, I just read her columns, which are generally pretty funny.

www.robisonwells.com

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 04:52:53 PM »
Ann Coulter has a radio show?  When and on what channel?
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 05:17:31 PM »
i should clarify: when I say "listen" i mean "receive her comments in any sensory manner" (like reading)

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 05:29:00 PM »
Ah.  Understood.

I thought "Slander" was awully telling.  Haven't read "Treason" yet because I don't have the money to buy it yet.

I'll be interested to see if "How to Talk to a Liberal" maintains the same standard of rigorous referencing and research she maintained in "Slander"
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2005, 03:14:00 PM »
This weeks article is particularly good.  

http://www.anncoulter.org/

-Fellfrosch