General > Everything Else

New Writer Advances

(1/2) > >>

ErikHolmes:
So I was talking to Chaos last night (I know, its a bad habit and I'm trying to quit) and the topic of how much people get for their first book came up. He seemed really surprised that an unpublished author could get like a $10,000 advance for their first fantasy book.

Its my understanding that this is pretty standard for a fantasy book.

Now, I know that six figure advances for non-fantasy books can get much higher. Twilight got $250,000 per book ($750,000 total). I have a friend who just made a deal for between $100,000 - $250,000 I think (he won't tell me, anyone have a publishers marketplace account? lol). His book is called The Monster Hunters and its a middle grade book about kids who figure out monsters are real. He's supposed to be taking the slot Holly Black's Spiderwick Chronicles had.

What I'm really wondering is what's the highest advance you've heard of for a first time fantasy author? I want to say Brandon got $20,000 for both Elantris and Final Empire (so really $10,000 per book). Anyone heard of someone who's gotten more than this?

Anyone know what's considered standard for other spec fiction? I'm mainly curious about advances from the more established publishers. I know there are a lot of smaller publishing companies out there that where you would get a lot less, but personally I've always felt you are shooting yourself in the foot by signing with one of them.

Jexral:
Terry Goodkind's first book 'Wizard's First Rule' was auctioned for $275,000.  So, that's a bit more than 20,000.  That is, though, the most ever paid for a fantasy novel by a first time writer.

Shivertongue:

--- Quote from: Jexral on May 19, 2010, 01:06:54 AM ---Terry Goodkind's first book 'Wizard's First Rule' was auctioned for $275,000.  So, that's a bit more than 20,000.  That is, though, the most ever paid for a fantasy novel by a first time writer.

--- End quote ---

Umm... why? Was everyone drunk?

Peter Ahlstrom:
Robert Newcomb got more than Goodkind. And look where that got him.

Silk:

--- Quote from: Shivertongue on May 19, 2010, 01:16:02 AM ---
--- Quote from: Jexral on May 19, 2010, 01:06:54 AM ---Terry Goodkind's first book 'Wizard's First Rule' was auctioned for $275,000.  So, that's a bit more than 20,000.  That is, though, the most ever paid for a fantasy novel by a first time writer.

--- End quote ---

Umm... why? Was everyone drunk?

--- End quote ---

Considering how well the thing sold... I'm gonna go (reluctantly) with "no" on that one. :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version