Author Topic: So I just. . . .  (Read 3241 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
So I just. . . .
« on: August 05, 2008, 06:36:33 AM »
So I just bought and read 'The Hope of Elantris.'  (ONLY $0.49!!)  It did wonderfully at explaining the little things we miss during the Fjordell attack that we miss because we are focused on Raoden returning the city to light.  But NOW I realize how much I LOVED the book and how LONG it's been since I read it. . . . looks like it's time to pick up an old favorite again.

Note: Elantris is my favorite book of all time.  SO much socio-political philosophy going on.  I LOVE IT!
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
Re: So I just. . . .
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 04:56:42 PM »
interesting, but what is it? I see it is only 6000 words; does it pick up after Elantris? is it a prologue? what is it?
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 05:09:50 PM »
It's like a missing chapter, that would come between Raoden drawing the new line with his stick as he's running and the chapter where he joins the fight.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 09:32:09 PM »
Thanks miyabi, I was unaware of this short untill you posted about it. I imidietly ordered it and am looking ofrward to reading it.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 01:06:00 AM »
Knew it existed, but didn't actually buy it until now. Will post opinions once I've finished it. Thanks for the reminder :)

EDIT: Just finished. I liked it, as it does fill in a bit of the storyline. And it costs 49 cents. Still not as good as mistborn, but good nonetheless.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 01:25:02 AM by Andrew the Great »
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 03:29:20 AM »
In my opinion Elantris is much better, but that's just me.  I liked all of the hidden meaning in it.  I mean, there is a lot in Mistborn as well, BUT I see A LOT more in Elantris.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 08:10:17 PM »
I can agree with miyabi to some degree. Elantris was a better stand alone novel than either Mistborn so far. It concentrated on politics and people a whole lot more. MB1 and MB2 are both great books but allot of the greatness is in the way the magic systems work and the characters who use them. Elantris wasn't full of magic it was full of people from different backgrounds trying to aid this nation on the verge of collapse. Both sets of novels have allot of strife and squalor. I just feel that Raoden and Sarene are more likeable characters than say Vin and Elend. That's not saying that Vin and Elend aren't great, I'm just saying in my opinion I liked Sarene and Raoden better. I honestly would love nothing more than to see another book involved in the world of Elantris in the future.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 08:17:13 PM »
i agree with much of what you said. I definitely like Raoden and Sarene better than Vin or Elend. However Kelsier beats them both hands down.
Elantris is a great standalone novel and a very good debut. It does focus more on the political, philosophical, and religous aspects of the world which is very interesting. However i find myself enjoying MB1 more. Its more of an epic style book which i enjoy a lot. If i had to put Brandon's books in order from most enjoyable i would say MB1, Elantris, MB2, and Warbreaker. However the last two may switch once i get the full, complete, edited version of Warbreaker
, I think i only read 4.0.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 08:38:19 PM »
However the last two may switch once i get the full, complete, edited version of Warbreaker
, I think i only read 4.0.

I just got done re-reading it.  It's pretty good, but not too much of a change (Actually, if anything I found myself laughing less then I did the first time around.  Seems like there were less jokes, or something.)  About the only thing that you'll miss is Lightsong's new scene, which was really good.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 09:51:28 PM »
Just read "hope of Elantris" and I was happy with the outcome. As expected it didn't fill all the gaps I wanted but never the less I was pleasantly surprised. Thanks again for the tip on getting it.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 11:51:58 PM »
Yeah no problem.  I was actually surfing Amazon trying to figure out what that book with the odd title was when I came across this and I though, for $0.49, what the heck. ha ha
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 12:49:35 AM »
Yeah no problem.  I was actually surfing Amazon trying to figure out what that book with the odd title was when I came across this and I though, for $0.49, what the heck. ha ha

Glad to be of assistance, then. I actually followed a link to that book from a fantasy blog, which is why I just kind of assumed it was our Brandon.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 12:52:28 AM »
Valid reasoning. Too bad there isn't more about it on Amazon

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 03:34:37 AM »
I'm sure we could figure it out if we just knew what language the title was in. ha ha
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 09:57:19 PM »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!