Author Topic: What are you reading mark II  (Read 32499 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading mark II
« Reply #135 on: January 30, 2005, 01:33:33 AM »
I just finished reading Battlefield Earth. I read it mostly due to wanting to read something long, coupled with Chris's high praise of it.

It's a very fun romp. I thought at the beginning I knew what was going to happen at the end, and a much grander scale of that happened about 1/4 of the way in. Everything after that was thus bonus! No huge mind-stretching going on; just good old-fashioned pulp.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Master Gopher

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I do not disguise my nerdiness.
    • View Profile
    • HomePage
« Reply #136 on: February 08, 2005, 06:53:38 AM »
Mostly Harmless, Douglas Adams.
2nd time over.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 08, 2005, 07:55:59 AM »
I just finished Call of the Icemark. Good fantasy novel, saxons fighting with werewolves against gunpowder using romans. Only just learned its a Young Adult one, heh. I just ignored the stated ages of the protagonist (14 and 15).

And before that was A shadow on the glass by Ian Irving. A rather dark high fantasy novel, with non-standard races, a detailed and interesting backstory and protagonists who are not ungodly powerful. I've got the rest of the series coming via amazon. I keep thinking I could convert it into an RPG easily enough, which is always a good sign.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #138 on: February 08, 2005, 09:10:00 AM »
Mostly Harmless, Douglas Adams.
2nd time over.

I didn't like Mostly Harmless the first time I read it. The second time I loved it though. Good thing I'm a rabid fan.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #139 on: February 08, 2005, 11:38:18 AM »
I'm trying to read Amber and Ashes by Margaret Weis, because WotC sent it, but it's just...I can't. And if I can't handle the big cool hardback by a bestselling author, what are my chances with the no-name paperbacks?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 08, 2005, 01:28:48 PM »
Margaret Weis long ago fell prey to the Heinlein disease.

Upon being confronted by one of his fans about the falling quality of his work Heinlein replied:

"Hey, when they'll pay me as much as they pay me for literally anything I write, where's the incentive?"

I haven't been able to stomach anything Weis had anything to do with for years.  Dragonlance is a golden memory I refuse to soil by close examination in these my later years.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2005, 01:51:27 PM by Skar »
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

MasterShake

• Level 4
  • U WANNA SHAKE I'LL TAKE IT TO YA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2005, 04:38:21 PM »
hmmm right now I am reading ABARAT A new york times best seller, by Clive Barker

Master Gopher

• Level 11
  • I do not disguise my nerdiness.
    • View Profile
    • HomePage
« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2005, 05:33:18 PM »

I didn't like Mostly Harmless the first time I read it. The second time I loved it though. Good thing I'm a rabid fan.

- The first time I read it, I didn't dislike it, I just found it quite different from thed previous four. It's also a lot more bleak than the others (DNA was going through a bad patch in his life at the time.) The humour is still there, but it's got a slightly different tone. Second time around, I'm really enjoying it because I'm not having any pre-emptive judgements spoilt.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 09, 2005, 12:19:55 PM »
I just finished reading the Dalemark Quartet by Dianne Wynne Jones. I think I liked the third book, Spellcoats best, but I was really annoyed with how she jumped around with the characters. It's almost like she wrote the last book first and then the other books were just prequels.

Her prose was like that too. At the end of the book she starts talking about how the protagonist has realized that the major bad guy is about to appear, and then she runs off and takes a shower.

I have a feeling I enjoy the books better the second time through, when I'm not constantly being offput by the strange way she approached the story.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #144 on: February 09, 2005, 12:25:30 PM »
Yeah, I felt the same way. Remember me complaining about how she introduced guns in the middle of a scene? Rather off-putting. I agree on Spellcoats--most internally consistent book, best story of the four.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 09, 2005, 12:40:20 PM »
Ah yes, I remember that now. The guns never bothered me, but it was that sort of thing that keep making me mad. I'd be reading a long and suddenly have to back up a few paragraphs to find out where this other character had come from. Sometimes I wanted to give up, but I have a hard time putting down a book unless I'm really disgusted, like with Arslan, though that was content related rather than poor writing.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 10, 2005, 12:11:59 PM »
I don't usually throw books, but this one was across the room, spine-side-up on crumpled pages before I realized what I was doing.

I read Terry Goodkind's new book, Chainfire, yesterday, and the reason it ended up on the floor was because just as the book ramps up to the climax, it ends.

This has to be one of the best books Goodkind has written. with parts that are truly terrifying and others that are really touching. Richard is injured by an arrow and while he's injured he realizes that Kahlan is gone. The problem is that no one else even remembers her existence and insist she was only a dream. All the evidence Richard can find of her existence is circumstantial at best and both Cara and Nicci become more and more convinced he's delusional. By the middle of the book, Goodkind does such a good job that I wasn't sure Richard didn't just dream her up. His quest for her leads him to give up his most prized possession: Richard gives Shota back the Sword of Truth, just when he needs it the most.

Of course, it wouldn't be nearly as fun without the usual deadly peril to the hero. While he is hunting for someone that exists only in his memory, Richard is being hunted by a creature that cannot be killed and is particularly deadly, created by the Sisters of the Dark and attuned to Richard's magic. He can't even read a book of prophecy without calling the beast, and those around him die horrible deaths when it appears.

This book is overly descriptive in some places, often redundantly so, slowing the pacing down to nearly a halt and , but that's normal for Goodkind. However, with the book-thrwoing ending, it looks like Goodkind is finally going to bring this series to its climax and conclusion.

It's good stuff, Maynard.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 12:15:07 PM by Old_One »

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 10, 2005, 12:17:24 PM »
Wait, if it ended before the climax... You mean the next book in the series will be the last?  Or did he just quit?
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 10, 2005, 12:20:18 PM »
It looks like the next book will be the last one.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #149 on: February 17, 2005, 03:30:11 PM »
I'm such a bad, bad person. Yeah, that's it. More. ....

So, I went to Record Theatre and bought some, no not CDs, but books. Hardcovers were on sale for $5 and softcover $2.50. What was I suppose to do? I got the "Legends II" anthology collection and Philip Pulman's "The Golden Compass." I also got my friend Donaldson's "The Mirror of Her Dreams: Book I of Mordant's Need" book. Just that title for a series of books makes me cringe. Oy how I wish to not read this man's work. But alas, I will grave the sod!
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo