Author Topic: kids....  (Read 2422 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
kids....
« on: July 31, 2004, 05:55:13 PM »
I'm just not sure at all what to make of this.

Elizabeth is playing with my action figures as we speak. Quigon Jinn is holding one of Stormshadow's swords. each figure lies down in front of him. Some get stabbed and put in a small pile (this pile is made up of three GI Joe ninjas, Jango Fett, Darth Maul, and Indiana Jones -- oh, and a Clone Trooper just got added.) others get to  touch the sword with their hand and moved to a bigger pile (this includes every one else, a mess of Jedi, some other ninjas, chewbacca, anakin, Han, luke, Leia, etc.

The Medieval mythology elements aside, any guesses on what she's doing?

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: kids....
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 06:12:00 PM »
Have you been reading the New Testament to her?

I have no recollection of how old Elizabeth is- I guess it sounds pretty self-evident to me.  I can recall doing similar things with the Ninja Turtles, My Little Ponies, Silverhawks, and Barbies.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 06:15:07 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 06:19:07 PM »
well, she's 5. She's heard lots and lots of NT stories, but nothing so... symbollic.  What's the pattern? I mean, I guess good guys and bad guys, since she knows who Quigon is, I can see Snake Eyes beign a "bad guy" but Indy? I mean, aside from the scruff, what's evil about him?

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 06:24:10 PM »
Well it doesn't have to be cannonical or really make any  sense.  When I would mix characters from stories, sometimes introduction from one world into another makes them evil.

Why don't you ask her why Indy was killed?

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 06:29:31 PM »
well, what threw me was not just Indy (she has informed me it was his hat that made him a bad guy) but it was the fact that Kamakura (ninja with a black face mask) was in the good guy pile. Apparently, as I learned upon inquiry, this was a clerical error. Thus the only good ninjas in her mind are girl ninjas.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2004, 01:07:05 AM »
    I used to do the same thing too, and it doesn't really have to be just good guys and bad guys. Maybe I am twisted but I found that a lot of my favorites were bad guys. Then again, I always made my own stories, in which they were the heroes, so maybe she made her own story.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2004, 02:58:24 AM »
the only good ninjas in her mind are girl ninjas.
Ninja III: The Domination?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Yourstranger13

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2004, 04:06:10 PM »
I love kids because they dont feel that there is a certain way for anything to be done. They make things up and pretend. In their mind everything fits in correctly, no doubts about it. I wish I could get in  that state of mind. I"m jealous of my 6 year old sister who can sit in her room and play with anything for ages. She sometimes will have all these invloved stories and plots and reasons why her puppy meows like a cat. It becomes harder and harder to do once you get older. You have more knowledge of the world around you and what is "right and wromg" and who is who. If I were you I would just play with her and try to get in on a peice of that world.
(i do not know what it is about you that closes
and opens;only something in me understands
the voice of your eyes is deeper than all roses)
~e.e. cummings

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2004, 06:08:50 PM »
You love kids?
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2004, 07:09:15 PM »
     I agree with YS, it is harder once you get older to get back into that really creative state of mind, at least to the same degree as before. I swear I wish I would have saved some of the stories I made back then, they would have made great books now that I can write well enough to tell them. That is really cool, if you can find kids that are into fantasy stuff and still have that imagination.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2004, 07:37:54 AM »
more observations, not as cool. gramma read to the girls from a book last night about fairies. of course, these were all stories about finding the perfect dew drop or something. No traditional fairy stories. since those traditional fairies would probably scare my wife, as they usualy involved kidnapping and such.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2004, 09:45:19 AM »
    I swear I wish I would have saved some of the stories I made back then, they would have made great books now that I can write well enough to tell them.

Eh, you'd think that, but I've got a whole box full of books I wrote at the ages of 5-8 and most of them make very little sense whatsoever.  They're amusing, but far from transmutable.  Maybe your stories were different, but I'm doubting they'd be really something you could change into a real book.

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2004, 01:54:50 PM »
     Yeah I am sure that it would take some doing to translate, but it would be a good place to look for ideas, at the very least. I remember little flashes of legible ones that I used to act out, and they were really fun. I might be a little disappointed if I got the actual stories and found them lacking, but I don't think so. Like I said a good place for ideas, and just to get me in a creative mood.

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2004, 04:54:37 PM »
kids are great... I love babysitting my two nephews harvey and liam.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
Tappin my feet the the beat of original sin.
http://thenauticalcamel.blogspot.com/

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2004, 05:13:47 PM »
Does harvey have long white ears?