Author Topic: review: Moon Called  (Read 3551 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
review: Moon Called
« on: April 27, 2007, 07:54:09 PM »
« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 07:55:45 PM by Nessa »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

JenaRey

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Give me chocolate...or. ..there is no or.  Gi
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
Re: review: Moon Called
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 04:11:19 PM »
I tend to agree.  This book had some great moments and some promising moments, but it really didn't deliver in the end and that frustrated me.
http://realitybypass.8m.com

You know you wanna...

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 04:12:39 AM »
Hmm. From your descrip of the book's shortcomings, Nessa, I'd probably feel really cheated by this book. Briggs tends to be kinda short and "lightweight" though fun, based on the two books I've read: Steal the Dragon and When Demons Walk . The books irked me in some ways yet not enough to feel gyped. I think Moon Called sounds like it might bug me even more. Of course, if you already mailed me your copy like you were going to, don't worry, I'll still give it a shot. ;)
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 04:35:09 AM »
I haven't mailed it yet, if you rather I would not. I was going to send my copy of A Secret History at the same time. Would you like both, or one or the other?
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 05:34:55 PM »
Wow, I have never, ever seen a book that was based in the area I was born and raised for most of my life. :D I may have to read the book just for that aspect of it alone. I was born in Richland and lived most of my life either there or in Kennewick. What a hoot!

The rest of your review sounded good, and since it is the first in a series I will definitely be more willing to try it out. Thanks Nessa :)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 07:57:12 PM »
My sister lives in Yakima and talks about those cities all the time, so it was kind of fun envisioning it, know that's near where she lives (because I've never been there).

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 06:04:42 PM »
Yakima is close, a little less than an hour or so away from the Tri-Cities. And the landscape is almost the same as well. Yakima has a bit more farm land at this point, but really isn't too much different. I have seen the growth in the Tri-Cities and was mildly terrified for a time there that it was going to get to be too much like Seattle and other big cities in the area. I don't like a whole lot of tall buildings blocking my view of a good sunset or sunrise ;)