Author Topic: review: Old Man's War  (Read 1744 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
review: Old Man's War
« on: February 02, 2007, 05:40:20 PM »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
Re: review: Old Man's War
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 10:33:17 PM »
I'm going to have to research when that was written, exactly, and when John Ringo's war with the Posleen series started.  'Cause from the description you gave,  one of them was VERY heavily INFLUENCED by the other.

:-X
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 12:28:45 AM »
Huh, I can't find my mini-review of the book. I swear I posted one somewhere in this forum last year.

The characterization wasn't good enough for me. Too many of the characters were too similar and too sarcastic. It was very difficult for me to care about anyone until the last 5 pages, when he managed to pull off an emotionally touching end.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 08:03:01 PM »
No one has stated the obvious yet. I can't believe we're reviewing books by EUOL's arch-nemesis. He's taking over TWG too!

Scalziiiiii!

;)
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"