Author Topic: review: Stardust  (Read 2686 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
review: Stardust
« on: January 05, 2007, 04:40:44 PM »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
Re: review: Stardust
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 06:17:06 PM »
I started this book once, but I didn't get into it.  Your review makes me want to give it another try.

On a somewhat side note, Gaiman dedicates this book to Diana Wynne Jones.  She dedicated her book Hexwood to Gaiman.  I always thought that said something about those books.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 06:30:46 PM »
I liked this book, but it definitely has a more "Diana Wynne Jones" feel than a typical "Neil Gaiman" feel. And, I'd rather pick up a DWJ's book, honestly. Stardust was nice and interesting--but I'd rather read one of Jones's quirky Chrestamonci tales or Gaiman's Netherwhere (which is my favorite of his) than this watered-down version of Gaiman. It was nice, but it just didn't feel like Gaiman in true form. Neverwhere is much better--even Good Omens, in my opinion.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 02:03:02 AM »
I haven't read any other Niel Gaiman books, but I loved Stardust, I thought it was amazing.  I'm glad I read it before the movie because it kinda fell short in comparison, and I hate how they changed the ending so drastically.  I love the ending of Stardust.  I think it is a fitting, yet sort of melancholy way to end the book.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 03:31:20 PM »
I thought the movie ending was too Hollywood, but otherwise the movie was fun. I'll probably watch the movie again before I read the book again.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 02:36:37 AM »
I really enjoyed the movie too, but I'm really glad I read the book first.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

White

• Level 5
  • (is largely not of this world)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 06:39:13 PM »
I've watched the movie first, I liked it, I also Like DWJ's stuff, how well do both of those bose for me liking the original?

I mean, I rather expect I'll love and adore it too but will it be on a fond level or more of a moving the cosmos one?
Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified way than auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Mulder: Why are you telling *me* that?
Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It's none of my business.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 12:03:05 AM »
I didn't like how he gave the witches names, I did however love Michelle Phieffer (sp?) as the Witch Queen, I thought she was amazing!
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier