Author Topic: Meyer Stops writing next twilight book  (Read 23415 times)

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Meyer Stops writing next twilight book
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2009, 08:09:36 PM »
And I think it was stinky of Stephen King to attack her.  When was the last time he spent weeks at a time on bestseller lists?  Professional jealousy, hmm?

I dont quite think jealousy has anything to do with it. He just thinks her writing is terribad. Considering every book King writes is a bestseller, and considering the $$ he makes from books and movie rights, I'd say he does just fine. In addition, any time Stephen King cover-quotes anyone, that book sells extremely well - just ask Naomi Novik. So yeah, jealousy has nothing to do with it...his books spend quite a bit of time on bestseller lists.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2009, 09:58:39 PM »
I suspect she's having a hard time processing her money and fame and all that.  Have you read Shannon Hale's discussion of it on her blog? http://oinks.squeetus.com/2008/09/how-to-be-a-rea/comments/page/2/  Scroll down to where Shannon comments about it.  She and Stephenie Meyer are buddies.  This is what she says:
Dawn--you're not the only one who feels as if Stephenie is punishing all her fans for what a few unscrupulous people did. However, I think that's absolutely not the case. It's not that she WON'T finish Midnight Sun, it's that she CAN'T finish it. I would feel absolutely the same way. It's not about money (the book would sell regardless), it's not about punishing anyone. It's that her unfinished book was ripped away from her and she's lost all those feelings about it that she needed in order to keep writing. What happened to her was a horrible violation. Every professional writer I've talked to about it has completely understood why she doesn't feel like she can finish it right now.

That's where she's coming from.  I don't think it's unreasonable to give her some space.   She may finish it, she may not.  But the poor woman has been through so much; it's very hard to get rich and famous quickly.  Stressful, demanding, and it brings many people down.  ("Adulation is poison," said President Hinckley).  Give her a few years to grow into it; she never expected this kind of success.  Mercy is a good thing; authors are people too.

Awww, poor her. She's rich and famous, she has hundreds of thousands of adulating fans, she has a movie of her book, how terrible. My heart bleeds.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2009, 10:44:07 PM »
It is one thing to be angry about part of the book getting leaked out, but totally throwing a fit and deciding to not write it is just childish.  I don't care who you are.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Emmaleem

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2009, 12:13:08 AM »
Bookstore guy, I'm sure you know more about publishing and best sellers than I do.  But the best-seller list I follow has never been dominated by Stephen King the way it's currently dominated by Stephenie Meyer, at least not in my memory. I'm just saying. :)

Reaves, that's one of the hardest parts about being suddenly rich and famous.  Few people acknowledge that those things have their own set of very real problems, and since not many people are in the same boat, it's hard to find help to get through it.  Turn your nose up at her problems if you want to, I guess.  But if it were me, I would want people to cut me some slack.

Miyabi, yeah, it's a little childish.  But who among us isn't childish sometimes?  She just has the misfortune to have her childishness discussed and debated by thousands of people.  The rest of us have the luxury of private pettiness.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 12:17:07 AM by Emmaleem »
segullah.org

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2009, 12:38:04 AM »
I understand what you're saying Emmaleem. In some ways, I agree with you. I understand that it could be difficult to deal with sudden fame, but I think if she was actually good it wouldn't be so hard....I think it makes it worse for her when she's got the hate-fest....But I personally think her books (at least, the Twilight "Saga") deserve the hate-fest. And that may sound cruel, but oh well. Those books are terrible. Writing, plot, character development. Everything. They're a joke to literature. It pains me to even call them literature because they suck so bad.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2009, 12:43:42 AM »
Just one word:  Professionalism.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Emmaleem

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2009, 02:00:26 AM »
Yes, that's true--if she were a really good writer, the sudden fame wouldn't be so hard.

But.  I gotta point to the editing on this again.  The Host had reasonable editing.  It's not great literature, but it's not painful to read.  I don't cringe at it.

The Twilight Saga's editors could have and should have taken the time to help the books turn out in a polished way.  For all the money they made off her writing, they could have taken the time to fix the books.  And they didn't.  That's a major breach of professionalism too.
segullah.org

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2009, 02:46:56 AM »
Oh, I know, and I don't cut the editors out of the blame, but when I'm reading, I visualize the story unfolding. So I focus more on plot and character development than the writing itself. This is probably why I didn't notice the horrible "thesaurus" word-usage that a lot of people say is in the book--stuff that just didn't flow. When reading, I got what she meant, and continued on without really thinking about the words. But there wasn't a plot until almost 2/3 the way through the book. And the character development is practically non-existent.

The editors could've said, "Hey, put some more plot in here," but I think SM should've known that books are plot-based and she should've cut out a good portion of the "Edward's body is so gorgeous and he smells so nice....Oh, and he SPARKLES!!! How pretty," crap and expanded the plot and the suspense. Because when I got to that part in the book, it was good. I liked it. But there wasn't enough of it.

I'd be willing to forget about it, and pass it off as being the problems of a debut novel, except that she did the EXACT same thing with New Moon....Again, the plot doesn't start until 2/3 the way through the book...And as good of a plot as it is, the idea of it is rather pathetic. So we've got two characters who have been established as independent people. And then they fall so deeply in love (which more resembles lust than it does love) that both of them have suicidal attempts? And both of these suicidal attempts are after they've practically died from the loss of the other? What? Where is the sense in that? Where is the literary value of that?
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Emmaleem

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2009, 03:26:33 AM »
little_wilson, when I say editing, I do mean adverbs and all that.  But I also mean story development as well--the stuff you're referring to.  The editors chose not to help her develop it well. 

But, having said that, millions of readers beg to differ. What bothers me about Twilight the most is the way that so many women have fallen in love with something that's so easily criticized.  If it weren't so popular, I wouldn't be nearly as bugged. I don't pick up random romance novels in grocery stores and critique their bad plotting, poor character development, and abundant adverbs. 

I think there's more going on in Twilight than I have given it credit for; there has to be, because it resonates with so many people.  Part of me resents that, I guess, but that's a too-easy dismissal of the phenomenon. 
segullah.org

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2009, 10:12:39 AM »
Yeah. I wouldn't care nearly as much about critiquing if it wasn't as popular as it is. The way I see it, it doesn't deserve the hype, but there are books out there (like EUOL's stuff) that do deserve the hype, and that live up to the hype, and yet....they don't get it.

I'm thinking Twilight is so big, because the story is so simple. It takes no thought to understand it. There's not even any ending that makes you go "Wow, that was deep," and then makes you think about it for hours on end. Or days. Or even weeks (like what happened with me with HoA). There is absolutely no thought involved. Hence why we've got people who never read picking up those books. They don't want to think about what they read. They just want to get the reading done and over with....But I like reading stuff that entertains me AND gives me something to think about....Twilight just didn't cut it.

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2009, 02:21:35 AM »
It is one thing to be angry about part of the book getting leaked out, but totally throwing a fit and deciding to not write it is just childish.  I don't care who you are.

I agree. It's not OUR fault that the author was stupid enough to ever let it be able to get leaked out.

Bastille
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 02:52:37 PM by Bastille »
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief, So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2009, 08:19:44 PM »
I don't think that's a fair comment to make. I dislike her, but I wouldn't say she's stupid for letting her novel get leaked. From what I've heard, the person who leaked it wasn't exactly responsible for getting it leaked either, but....it's their fault more than it is SM's.

Sure, she trusted the person, but that's nothing new. A lot of authors send their books and chapters and writing in general to others to get feedback. There's always the chance that it'll get leaked (although that would hardly matter if you're unpublished, nor would anyone care about it). It's a risk, but in this instance, the blame isn't on her. If you say she's stupid for that, then you're saying that a lot of other authors are stupid too. Like EUOL.

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2009, 10:17:45 PM »
I don't think that's a fair comment to make. I dislike her, but I wouldn't say she's stupid for letting her novel get leaked. From what I've heard, the person who leaked it wasn't exactly responsible for getting it leaked either, but....it's their fault more than it is SM's.

Sure, she trusted the person, but that's nothing new. A lot of authors send their books and chapters and writing in general to others to get feedback. There's always the chance that it'll get leaked (although that would hardly matter if you're unpublished, nor would anyone care about it). It's a risk, but in this instance, the blame isn't on her. If you say she's stupid for that, then you're saying that a lot of other authors are stupid too. Like EUOL.

Sorry. Maybe I took that on a little (or allot) to harshly. I still think that it's unfair that she took the book away from all of us who didn't do anything.

Bastille
Nothing gold can stay.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2009, 01:00:08 AM »
Oh, it's definitely unfair, but I refer to the whole situation as immature of her. She's 35, and she's acting like spoiled 5 year old. It's pathetic.

From what I've read--particularly in Shannon Hale's blog--I can see why she's put MS on hold. She's lost interest in it. Since that's the case, I don't blame her for not writing it right now. I do blame her for it getting to that point. She could've played with the leak, and made it a good thing. She could've looked at it as a teaser for her book, and if people didn't like it and thought the writing was bad, she could've put the first couple of chapters up on her site--the better versions--to show how improved it was....But she didn't. She threw a tantrum and did nothing to make the situation better. And now she's lost interest in it.....All because she was too blind and immature.

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2009, 02:12:49 PM »
Oh, it's definitely unfair, but I refer to the whole situation as immature of her. She's 35, and she's acting like spoiled 5 year old. It's pathetic.

Your right about her being unfair. I mean she can't just make a book about the "new biggest thing" and then not publish it because she's being immature.

Bastille
Nothing gold can stay.