Alternate Realities > Endless Stars

Combat

<< < (6/8) > >>

The Jade Knight:
Sorry about that.

Every time I post something long, I hit CTRL + A, C before posting, just in case something evil like that happens.

Mr_Pleasington:
I used to lose emails to hotmail crashing all the time.  I've started copying them just in case.

But I feel your pain.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo:
Well, here's the deal, I copied it, out of paranoia, earlier, but forgot to right before I posted.  So I have about 1/10 or 1/8 of it saved now, and when I get up later this morning I will type up the rest and I will post it tomorrow.  I can, however, say a few basic things.
~Most battles can be determined after one e-mail from each person.
~I've gone ahead and come up with weapons with ranges, strengths and special abilities
~Same with sheilds, minus the special
~I wanted to go into commanders and whatnot, but decided I didn't have the time.  I'll add those later if you people like my ideas.
~The same system is used for land and space combat
~While you don't command your entire army to do the same thing, it isn't too micro-management based, individual ships aren't given commands...

I'm going to bed.  I'll type it back up and post it tomorrow, er, that is actually later today.

Mr_Pleasington:
Sounds intriguing.

I can't wait to take a look.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo:
What if we didn't do ship-based or fleet-based, but Squad based?  This way all of your troops aren't doing the same thing, but you don't have to micro manage a bunch of stats.  Squads could be five ships or men large.  They would have a stat run-down that looks something like this:

Squad: X-Wing Fighters
R 5
L 5
C 5
Weapon: Second Degree Lazer
Secondary: Basic Missile
Upgrades and Abilities:
2nd Degree Armor
Mine Detection

Not as many stats to deal with.  Here's what I was thinking for weapons: any squad would start with a basic lazer, photon or gamma weapon and a basic shield.  The sheilds and weapons could be upgraded for each individual squad for a cost, and this would be put right into the squad's stats.

Ships:
Lazer - Weak Vs Lazer Sheild.  Long Range, Weak.
Photon - Weak Vs Photon Sheild. Moderate Range.  Moderate Strength.
Gamma - Weak Vs Gamma Sheild.  Short Range, Splash Damage, Moderate Strength.
Machine Gun - Close Range. moderate. Three shots per turn, as compared to normal one.
Missile - Close Range, Splash Damage, Strong.  Cost per use.

Later, a squad upgrades to get a secondary weapon and a secondary shield at a cost.  No more weapons are allowed on a squad, and every ship in a squad must have the same weapons.  I'm guessing two or three squads would be in the average battle, they should be relatively expensive, but cheap enough that a player can have at least one in all of their systems if they want to be cautious.

Ground Units: These units would be made on a planet and placed in one of three strategic battle zones.  They can move freely between zones at the cost of one turn, and can move between systems only by being transported via a squad.  If a squad is destroyed while transporting ground units, the ground units are destroyed, too.  It takes one turn for a squad to load ground units and one turn to unload, while loading and unloading ships may not attack or be attacked by space units, may not attack ground units and may not move.

Men- Basic Ground Unit.  These units have no armor except a kevlar which is also lazer resistant.  These units have four health on all flanks. These units would start with one of two weapons and may later upgrade to carry two different weapons.  Units may not start with Anti-Tank.
Machine Gun - Strong Vs Foot, Weak Vs Tank.  Moderate Range.  Two Shots per turn.
Lazer - Moderate Vs. Men and Tanks.  Long Range.
Anti-Tank (heavy) - Strong Vs. Men and Tank.  Close Range, Splash Damage.  Cost per use.

Tanks are heavy ground support.  Tanks do not come in squads, they come as one unit.  When attacking a tank, attack like normal (right, left, center) as per your wishes, either side has only three hit points while the front has five.  They have upgradable armor and weapons, but may only have two weapons, which are on the tank when it is made.  Weapons upgrade.
Rocket - Strong Vs. Men and Tanks.  Close Range.  Splash Damage.  Cost per use.
Machine Gun - Strong Vs. Men, Moderate Vs. Tank.  Moderate Range.  Two shots per turn.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version