Author Topic: Decisions, decisions  (Read 1250 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Decisions, decisions
« on: November 03, 2003, 07:19:58 PM »
Okay following in Gemm's footsteps, I would like to ask for advice about my class schedule for next semester.  So being a super-senior I only need to complete one art history class to graduate. My question is which one?

Here are the options:
Eqyptian Art and Architecture (as in ancient Egypt)
Roman Art
Romanesque and Gothic Art and Architecture (medieval art and cathedrals)
Sothern Boroque (c. 1550-1700 in Italy and Spain)
Northern Boroque (as southern, but in northern Europe)
American Art (stuff in the US during the 18th and 19th centuries)
Islamic Art and Architecture (Otttoman Empire and stuff)
Modern Art (art from about 1900-1960)
20th Century American Art
Northern Mesoamerican art (Native American art)

So I'm fairly apathetic. I usually prefere ancient art over newer art. The Egyptian and Islamic Art is taught by a professor who's teaching policies should be examined by Amnesty International. The Mesoamerican class is taught by my cousin. The Romamesque/Gothic class is taught at 7:00 in the morning.

I also have the option of taking my final class through independent study. I could take either modern art or 19th century European art (Gothik, Neo-Classical, Impresisonism and Post-Impressionism). If I take the class through independent study, I could work full-time assuming I could get a full-time jo.

So suggestions? I should decide this week.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: Decisions, decisions
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2003, 07:24:20 PM »
Meso-American sounds the most interesting--though Islamic would be great if you felt you could handle the teacher. And of course, your cousin being the teacher could be either a bonus or a not-so-bonus. Of course, with the number of cousins you have, it might not be any different than an acquaintance teaching, eh?

Independent study is not really recommended, unless you're a workaholic... nevermind, I forgot for a moment who I was talking to.  ;D Personally, I always have the best of intentions in independent study that never get done.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 07:42:47 PM »
That's good advice about the independent study course. However, I did help create the graphics for both of those course, so I've kind of have read what the courses expect and how much work is involved.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2003, 08:12:52 PM »
The truth is, they all sound interesting to me.  Not having the background in art, I wouldn't really know which ones would be better than others.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2003, 08:40:05 PM »
I'm in an art history class right now. BC to 16th Century. I didn't like Egyptian art, it was really dull and uniteresting. Just flagrant stick figures if you ask me. The architechture however was somewhat cool.

Romans, they're alright. They just sort of borrowed from a lot of people (Mespotamians, Greeks, those sorts).

Everything else we haven't gotten to. And we're only going up to the Gothic I believe. Maybe Romanesque if you like the whole aspect of "the meaning over the look," then by all means take it.

Islamic stuff (almost forgot about them) are interesting. They used Arabic in a lot of their paintings, and put it in things like that. Like they would use it on a round disc, or in a painting. I'm not sure, but if I'm right, this may be the area (Ottoman and all) where some Russian stuff comes in. Which is just really cool. Since they like making the outside of the buildings outlandish and ornate. And onion shaped.

So whatever your pick, you probably won't go wrong. And if you think you won't like it after the 1st or 2nd day, couldn't you just make a course change?

As a side note, I may sound cocky, or some other variant. Me being a freshman and all, I think I know everything about some of these subjexts because I am taking a course on it. Hehehhe. I am the subtext.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 08:41:33 PM by Gemm »
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo