Author Topic: Vin as HOA?  (Read 37568 times)

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
Re: Vin as HOA?
« Reply #135 on: August 09, 2008, 07:05:42 PM »
Curse you Ookla, I've already forgotten and broken my oath not to read your treacherous and confusing texts, meant to lead me astray, with those tantilizing bits of information, which I crave!
OCTOBER!
The bit about something being right in front of our faces might involve that "over arching mystery," hidden in the prologue epigraph, or it might be something else, but if Ookla had trouble with it even after reading book three, what chance do I have, alas, I must try.  I will solve this mystery, or go mad trying (or both).
I like Czanos's point about Vin, Rashek, and Alendi all being "tired."  There's something there I think.  Vin had trouble sleeping, because she felt she couldn't sleep, or else something would happen during said sleep that she would have been able to prevent had she been awake (ie Elend's assassination), while the Lord Ruler's tiredness is of a different sort.  He is tired with life, he's seen and done everything, and he's tired of things not going smoothly for him.  He's been "working," on the same problems for a thousand years, and people still doubt and fight his power.  He is tired of people not realizing his overwhelming power.  Alendi suffers from insomnia, correct me if I'm wrong, because of the mist spirit who follows him, and from his inner turmoils.  Three pivotal characters in the books are suffering tiredness, I think Czanos is on to something, but I am unsure of what it is exactly.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

happyman

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 11, 2008, 07:17:02 PM »
OK.  I've just seen the new HoA chapter.  I'm pretty sure from it that Vin isn't the Hero of Ages.

Dang good initial bump though.  It tells us only that the Hero of Ages is probably real, and not much else.
Nature hates being reified.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 11, 2008, 07:20:57 PM »
OK.  I've just seen the new HoA chapter.  I'm pretty sure from it that Vin isn't the Hero of Ages.
What makes you think that? I'm pretty sure most people think the bump is written by Rashek, if that is what u are referring to...
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 11, 2008, 07:38:17 PM »
What makes you think that? I'm pretty sure most people think the bump is written by Rashek, if that is what u are referring to...

Now that you ask, I don't know, really.  It just doesn't sound like the way Vin would write.  It doesn't seem to match her personality.

Rashek is a distinct possibility.  It would fit with the previous bumps.  It's just that I don't think Rashek was the Hero of Ages; he became TLR after all.  I would, somehow, much rather have them written by the *real* Hero of Ages.

Rashek could tell us quite a bit, though.  So I'll keep an open mind.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 11, 2008, 10:01:11 PM »
It's OBVIOUSLY written by Rashek because he WAS the Hero at one point, or thought he was.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 11, 2008, 10:09:10 PM »
It's OBVIOUSLY written by Rashek because he WAS the Hero at one point, or thought he was.

Did I miss something here? Since when was Rashek the Hero of Ages? Also, if he was I think he would embrace that fact. The word unfortunately is evidence that whomever wrote that did not want to be the HoA.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 11, 2008, 10:17:39 PM »
To me, that quote sounds like Alendi-esque.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 11, 2008, 10:20:05 PM »
To me, that quote sounds like Alendi-esque.

Exactly what I was thinking.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 11, 2008, 10:34:02 PM »
I think that Rashek felt that Alendi could NOT have been the HoA because he was not Terrismen. . . therefore he himself felt that he was the HoA.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 11, 2008, 10:47:35 PM »
Good, folks.  Glad to see I'm not alone.

The quote doesn't sound like TLR.  TLR was Rashek; sometimes we seem to forget the fact that he also thought he was God.  From the end of Mistborn 1, we see that he actually believed it.  We also have seen no evidence that that wasn't his attitude during the early years; if anything else, his monologue at the end of MB1 would indicate that his attitude has stayed constant.  We can natter on about preservation and the necessity to preserve humanity, but TLR seems to have gone about it all the wrong way, no matter how you slice it.

Thus it just doesn't sound like Rashek.  Just one line, and it's already waaaaay to humble to be Rashek.

Here's a thought: How do we know that this isn't from a document written after the fact?  We've had two documents written before the entire mess started, but there is no logical reason why the "bumps" can't come from something that will be written after all the action has occurred.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 11, 2008, 10:50:50 PM »
EUOL says it's from a nearly omniscient source.  I don't think that is from a document that is written.  I think it's coming from an actual person this time.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 11, 2008, 11:03:13 PM »
I thought the bump sounded more tired than humble. Could just be me pushing for them to be written by Rashek, but if he did write them, I think the bump could be taken along the lines of, "I am, unfortunately, the man who got stuck ruling this degenerate, ungrateful, rebellious world." The duty would have killed all his friends and family hundreds of years ago, and now he's stuck in his palace waiting for the Well to refill so that he can use it to save a people who pretty much resent him. In his mind, all of this could stem from being the Hero of Ages.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 11, 2008, 11:09:35 PM »
I thought the bump sounded more tired than humble. Could just be me pushing for them to be written by Rashek, but if he did write them, I think the bump could be taken along the lines of, "I am, unfortunately, the man who got stuck ruling this degenerate, ungrateful, rebellious world." The duty would have killed all his friends and family hundreds of years ago, and now he's stuck in his palace waiting for the Well to refill so that he can use it to save a people who pretty much resent him. In his mind, all of this could stem from being the Hero of Ages.
Similar things went through my head there too.  I really think that it was Rashek for sure.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 12, 2008, 12:41:56 AM »
I definitely think it is written by Rashek, but something doesn't seem right. Rashek just doesn't strike me as the "reluctant hero" type guy. Or "reluctant villian" i should say...
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 12, 2008, 06:01:14 AM »
I love how you're drawing so many conclusions from 7 words.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!