Author Topic: Geek Girl #8  (Read 15795 times)

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
Re: Geek Girl #8
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2006, 07:34:22 PM »
No. It isn't. Not in the modern Spanish, which is the way I originally read it. Don't try to correct the biggest Quijote fan.

Verily, sirrah, I know not of this "modern" of which thou spake. Be it some region near Andalusia?

And I'm not touching the "biggest fan" comment.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2006, 08:08:27 PM »
And I'm not touching the "biggest fan" comment.

It would be like tilting at windmills.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2006, 02:39:08 AM »
Hey Pete, where the *heck* have you been?
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2006, 09:06:49 AM »
Modern, as in the primary version of the Spanish language spoken on the Iberian peninsula.

Anyway, you'll be seeing Quijote very frequently, so cope.

Mister M

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2006, 01:09:56 PM »
The problem with "Quijote" is that we then get "quijotic" as an adjective, and that just looks weird.
"When in Rome, do as the barbarians do. They won."

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2006, 01:27:47 PM »
YOU look weird.

JenaRey

• Level 7
  • Give me chocolate...or. ..there is no or.  Gi
    • View Profile
    • Reality By Pass
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2006, 01:30:01 PM »
Not to completely get off of getting back on topic...muddle that one out and I think it makes sense.

This was a fun article, MsFish, though I think you have more patience than I do.  It might have to do with me being slightly older, but a guy like your harasser gets about 5 minutes leeway before I would have talked to him myself in no uncertain terms.  

I'm glad your co-players took steps.  That makes for a much more comfortable environment for everyone in the long run.

*chuckles*  Now, if your fear of gaming stores lurches back up I'll happily go wander with you.  I love walking in and having guys stare.  Went into Games People Play the other day and asked for Polyhedral dice.  It took about a minute and a half of the salesperson staring before he realized that yes I was talking to him, yes I knew what I was talking about and yes I was female.  It was hysterical.

If you're ever up in the SLC area Hastur's Hobbies is another fun venue to visit.  Decent stock and the folks that run it are nice.

~J
http://realitybypass.8m.com

You know you wanna...

Prometheus

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 8
  • The Threadslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2006, 06:30:01 PM »
Is a dragon that's not breathing fire even hot enough to register for a heat-seeking missile? They're tuned to seek out the engines of other fighters and I doubt the body of the average D&D dragon is that hot. Even if you turned up the sensitivity you'd be just as likely to hit the nearest large rock with the sun shining on it or somesuch.

I'm also going to vote for DR/magic applying in this case. However, given the damage of a missile or fighter-mounted cannon, I'm not sure it'd make much difference.

Being able to kill from 30 miles away is a good trick too, but in that scenario we're probably giving the fighter the advantage of spotters.
"Shoot Everything. If it blows up or dies, it was bad." -- Things you Learn from Video Games poster

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2006, 07:56:45 PM »
(Sorry JenaRae) To continue the dragon vs. jet debate, I think we need to further define our assumptions. What kind of missiles does the fighter have and how much/what type of damage do they do? What is a fighter pilot's bonus to hit with a guided missile? Does it have unlimited ammo/fuel? Because if we're going for "realism" here, the average jet will run out of missiles before a dragon runs out of spells, and will certainly run out of fuel before a dragon has to land.
So if the missiles do enough damage and hit often enough, then yes, the F-16 will win a quick fight. In a protracted fight, it doesn't stand a chance.
Oh, and a spell like displacement makes the dragon even more likely to survive until the fighter runs out of missiles, unless it's ruled that the guidance system has a true seeing effect.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2006, 10:11:48 PM »
I still maintain that since every tactic you've given the dragon to survive is spell casting, you're talking about a wizard taking on an F-16, not a Dragon.

If you're going realistic, then there's no way the dragon can fly. Since we're not doing that, it only takes a first level cleric spell to make the weapons temporarily magical, thus DR isn't a factor. I'm sure we can get the base chaplain out to take care of that.

We're going with AMRAM missles, since it has been definitively pointed out to me that the dragon is definitely not hot enough unless it's breathing fire. Apparently, there's also some time for the dragon to react, assuming that the dragon knows about the missle, which, in most cases, I'm goign to say no, not if the pilot is anything more than stupid.

bullets may be a factor, but fuel probably won't be.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2006, 10:34:39 PM »
then again, Pilots arent exactly trained on how to cope with a real dragon in flight school. I mean the shock of seeing a live on might just make a pilot do stupid things....

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2006, 09:34:02 AM »
And dragons are unused to seeing mechanical things that can fly faster than a hasted quickling can run. If you want to factor that in, the dragon is going to have issues as well. Since the shock of bizarre opponent can't really be calculated, we should just assume they are equally shocked and eliminate it from the suppositions.

jeffday

• Level 2
  • Yar, must be exploding tuesday.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2006, 02:18:39 AM »
*le sigh* While my actions for that day were inexcusable, what people have failed to notice is that my behavior since then has changed. I must respectfully disagree with Ms. Fish's analysis of my motives. Is it so much of a stretch to think that, perhaps, I did in fact feel bad about what I had done and changed my behavior based on that? Does a change in behavior not partially make up for the fact that I was a complete jerk the first time I met her? Must we vilify someone who changes and shows remorse, albeit only after the fact?
"Are you in danger of becoming a good man, Proximo?"
--Gladiator

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2006, 04:36:36 AM »
Hey hey!  I didn't villify you!  (Well, not much.)  

And congrats for being brave enough to post.  I hope you stick around, because I've decided you're cool.

:P
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2006, 04:57:24 AM »
indeed we must villify you, its in our jealous nature. You will forever be the Snidely Whiplash

to our dear Ms. Fish's Nell Fenwick

That may date me a little.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 11:43:58 AM by ElJeffe »