Author Topic: Actor you hate, Movie you love  (Read 7428 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Actor you hate, Movie you love
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2003, 10:46:15 PM »
I think we're giving all three of these actors too much credit.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2003, 11:12:53 PM »
I actually quite like Leo--he's done some excellent acting work in some very challenging roles. If he wants to go throwing his career away with teen idol junk like Titanic and MitIM, well that's his own fault. But don't judge him by his bad stuff, just his good stuff. Him as Alexander, though? Give me a break.

An actor I hate in a movie I love...well, Affleck would be a good one except I don't think I like anything he's in. It's always so depressing to see a commercial for a cool-looking movie and then suddenly realize that he's the star. I hate that.

Ooh, I've got one: Tomorrow Never Dies with Teri Hatcher. It's not my favorite Bond by any means (it's not even one of the better Brosnan ones), but I liked it and I like Bond, and Teri Hatcher really soured the whole experience. Come to think of it, maybe she's why it was so bad...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 11:13:15 PM by Fellfrosch »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2003, 01:15:48 PM »
Going along the Bond movie thread with Fell, I'd have to say Madonna in Die Another Day. I don't like her acting style at all, but luckily Halle Berry completely eclipsed her, therefore saving the movie for me. It also helped that the main bad guy was played by Toby Stephens, who also played the Count Orsinio in Twelfth Night with Ben Kingsley and Helena Bonham Carter, one of my favorite movies of all time.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2003, 04:50:25 PM »
I liked Gattaca despite having Uma Thurman in it. I like signs despite Mel Gibson. I liked Minority Report despite Tom Cruise. I like A Beautiful Mind despite Russel Crowe.

I think a lot of it has to do with appropriate casting. For example, Kevin Costner cannot act in suspense/action movies (Robin Hood, Waterworld, Dragonfly). But he does all right when he is playing average American Joe (Dances with Wolves, Field of Dreams). Or another example, Meg Ryan kind of sucks when she leaves the romantic comedy genre.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2003, 06:55:13 PM »
i don't have such a problem with Gibson, though I can't think of anything I LOVED with him (Signs being the closest, though).

Costner though, did do a couple good movies. Not the least of which was co-starring Clint Eastwood (can't remember the title).

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2003, 07:46:04 PM »
Gibson is also good in Mad Max, but over all I just don't care for him. Perhaps because I saw him in Forever Young, which was just an awful movie.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2003, 07:58:21 PM »
Yeah, strike Forever Young from your memory. Unfortunately RT was not around to warn us how bad that movie was.

I have to agree with 42 on Beautiful Mind. I really don't like Russell Crowe, but the movie was well done.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 07:58:48 PM by Treyva »
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2003, 09:09:45 PM »
Ah, Mad Max. Mel will forever have a special place in my heart, based solely on Road Warrior.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2003, 03:09:46 AM »
The thing is that Mel shouldn't get too far from the Mad Max persona.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2003, 08:58:04 AM »
Ya right are you crazy?  Wait you are.  Anyway I like Mel.  He's great in the lethal weapons, Ransom, payback (wich is an awsome movie), conspericy theory and *gasp* braveheart.  
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2003, 09:24:40 AM »
see, I knew I liked Gibson, I just couldn't remember what I liked him for. Mad Max is kinda hard to like him for, since Thunderdome was such a snoozer and the original Mad Max was such a B-Movie. But Lethal Weapon, yeah. It may be just an action flick, but they're A LOT of fun. He's not the best, but he does some interesting things. And admit it, even his Hamlet was pretty good.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2003, 09:31:02 AM »
I haven't seen A Beautiful Mind and don't ever plan on seeing it. I'm sure it's a great movie, and no one can understand why I haven't seen it, yet I can't make myself bother with it. Even people who know about my mom can't understand why I won't see it. Oh well.

I do like Mel Gibson, though I didn't like Ransom. I've liked so many of his other movies. I think we've mentioned our guilty pleasures before, and one of mine is Bird on a Wire.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2003, 10:29:45 AM »
you should cacth payback SE, TBS and TNT play it often enough.  It's kinda a dark lethal weaponish style of movie (with Lucy Lu I might add) where Mel's a gangester out to get 10,000 dollers back from the people that stold it.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2003, 12:29:20 PM »
I like Gibson. He's done some good stuff.

And stacer, I was like you with A Beautiful Mind at first. Then I sat down and finally watched the movie, and ta-da, it was a good movie.

Now to bring an old debate to a new topic. I don't care what anyone thinks, but Alyson Hannigan is hot. She's a redhead too. She was the girl that played Willow in Buffy and was the "bandcamp giril" in American Pie, and other various roles I choose to forget at the moment.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2003, 01:05:18 PM »
I understand why you don't want to see it, stacer. But then, I think you explained that when we discussing Radio.

Allyson Hannigan is pretty. However, I'd rather not be subjected to American Pie or any of its ilk.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 01:05:45 PM by Treyva »