Author Topic: review: Meet the Robinsons  (Read 1816 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
review: Meet the Robinsons
« on: April 13, 2007, 03:59:37 PM »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: review: Meet the Robinsons
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 07:06:33 PM »
What does "So Disney’s little money baby, Pixar, has grown-up and left he nest" mean?

Every commercial I've seen for this move makes it look stupid and unwatchable. How does the actual movie compare to the commercials? I see the review says not to think too hard; that is not a good sign.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 04:51:32 AM »
What does "So Disney’s little money baby, Pixar, has grown-up and left he nest" mean?

Every commercial I've seen for this move makes it look stupid and unwatchable. How does the actual movie compare to the commercials? I see the review says not to think too hard; that is not a good sign.

First question: Pixal and Disney are no longer the same company after Pixar made Disney a lot of money. Pixar's contract ended with Disney and they no longer make films for Disney. Meet the Robinsons is made by Disney, not Pixar. Many people thought Disney's computer animation films would die once Pixar left.

For the second question: The trailers that I saw, had very little to do with the story. In fact, the trailers didn't really tell much about the main plot line at all. The movie does deal a lot with time-travel. As with all time-travel stories, if you think too much about the logistics of time-travel, you're going to have your suspension of disbelief ruined. Meet the Robinsons make wanton use of time-travel with very vague rules that are left unexplained. However, the crux of the story is not about time-travel, it's about not-giving up and having hope and just being funny, IMO. If you get caught up in the time-travel business making little sense, you should have a good time.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 08:06:08 AM »
42: Pixar and Disney did not use to be the same company--Disney just distributed Pixar's films (and owned the sequel rights). The contract never ended, but was going to run out after Ratattoile, and Steve Jobs was unhappy with Michael Eisner and so was looking for a new distributor. But then Eisner left, and Bob Iger became Disney's new CEO, and he and Steve Jobs get along a lot better—and then Disney BOUGHT Pixar (in January 2006), making Jobs Disney's largest shareholder, and John Lasseter who ran Pixar's animation is now the man in charge of Disney's animation department. (I guess you never heard this news?) So the statement "Pixar has grown up and left the nest" does not make sense—Pixar is now totally and inseparably in the nest. However, Meet the Robinsons was well into production by the time the Pixar deal was done, so any effect Lasseter had on this movie was limited to tweaks. (Oh, Karen tells me she heard on NPR that the movie was about half done, and that Lasseter took one look at it and said "this has serious problems" and thus did his best to fix them—the disjointedness in the movie probably comes from this, they said.)

It's good that the movie has a plot beyond what's in the trailers, because neither Karen nor I could tell at all what the plot was from the commercials.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 10:09:13 PM by Ookla The Mok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 10:04:49 PM »
Fine, I'm ignorant. I would change the statement if I had editing rights for the article.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.