House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
London
« on: July 07, 2005, 09:35:39 AM »
Hey Ent -- what are you hearing about the attacks?  Everything I've seen so far is very sketchy, and I doubt a lot of it -- how can a bus be blown apart and only two people die?
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: London
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 09:39:15 AM »
if only two people were on it?

He's at work right now so he probaly dosen't know that much and since everything on TV right now is comming from Brittish Press I doubt he'd know any more then us.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 09:41:57 AM »
I want to state unequivicobly that no ninja monkeys have been spotted at the scene.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 10:12:18 AM »
Two people on it makes sense, of course, but it was rush hour -- plus it was two deaths, total for all the attacks, not just the bus.

www.robisonwells.com

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 10:54:00 AM »
There you go... CNN now has it listed up to 40 deaths.

An al-Qaeda group has claimed responsibility.

www.robisonwells.com

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 11:16:12 AM »
I just saw CNN say 33 deaths at this time.  And that is from all of the explosions, which they can't seem to tell how many there were.  First it's four, then eight, then six...
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 11:17:41 AM »
This is because the media is being manipulated by several government, coportations and secret societies, and the facts are being lied about.

If you didn't see it with your own eyes, you can't believe it.

That said, I'm sick of idiots killing people.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 12:32:26 PM »
Okay, at the press conference they said that there was four explosions damaging a bus and four or five trains, if I remember correctly, killing upwards to forty people.  All of the explosions were close to each other time-wise, and there was nobody still trapped.  They are still unsure how many are dead because there was an error made or something, but now they are sure it is at least forty, said CNN.

They also said at the press conference that the buses will be up and going to most of London regularily later today, most likely, but they are asking people to stagger their usage of public transfer so that they aren't trying to cram a lot of people on a few busses.  Tommorrow some of the trains should be coming back online, and the others will be down for an indetermined amount of time.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 03:20:45 PM »
Well. What a most british pair of days. We won the Olympics 2012, then there is a terrorist attack.

Try tuning into the BBC world service. They are running constant news on it.

The attacks were from 8:30 or so until about 11:30. There were 4 bombs. 3 were on trains, and mainly exploded in tunnels rather than stations (thankfully). Another one then exploded on a bus. The casualty list is about 37 dead, 700 wounded, with about 150 of those being seriously wounded or critical. More information here

My dad went through one of those stations an hour before the bomb went off, and I think he is currently up to his hips in emergency meetings - he's one of the governments most senior civil servant for the railways.

The G8 summit will continue as usual. Chirac looked deeply disturbed at the press conference. Perhaps london is just a little too close to home.

The Olympics 2012 is still ours, but the team that won it for London are quietly flying home from singapore. Talk about a bittersweet day for those guys. Still, if the bombs had gone off 2 days earlier, we would not have the Olympics. Another silver lining.

Tony blair gave 2 speeches, one at the G8 and one at Downing street. You can find the transcripts here.

They picked the wrong country. We've been bombed before, by the IRA. We took that on the chin. And we are a country of stoicism by default. The BBC bulletin mentioned that for londoners, 'things would never be the same'. I feel that things will never be the same for those responsible, as the short sharp shower of ALARM missiles they will soon be recieving will make them live in most interesting times.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2005, 03:25:12 PM by Charlie82 »
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 03:36:48 PM »
Not just IRA bombings, too. It goes all the way back to the Blitz. Is your family all safe then, Ent?
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2005, 03:48:38 PM »
Yeah. No relatives in london. And I suspect dad's surrounded by a battalion of coppers in some government facility...
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2005, 06:01:09 PM »
And we are a country of stoicism by default.

I think it's very telling that, while they interrupted programming for a while, BBC's Radio 4 was running radio dramas again by the afternoon.  Considering how terrorism thrives on media coverage, that's very blatant nose-thumbing.  Kudos to the British.

www.robisonwells.com

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2005, 06:34:45 PM »
This is interesting reading -- an article from the Evening Standard a year ago.

"As far as I'm concerned, when they bomb London, the bigger the better," says Abdul Haq, the social worker. "I know it's going to happen because Sheikh bin Laden said so. Like Bali, like Turkey, like Madrid - I pray for it, I look forward to the day."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/londonnews/articles/10329634?version=1

www.robisonwells.com

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2005, 04:57:53 PM »
Not to poke my head into an area that I am only slightly knowledgeable in, and to possibly excite some heated political arguments, but I can't help myself. (Curiosity killed the Chimera, I guess.)

Entropy and anyone else (but Ent specifically 'cause he's a Brit), how do you think this will affect the political sentiment toward war in the Middle East? When I was in London on Study Abroad last summer, we were told to not to draw attention to the fact that we were American because the public was decidedly anti-war and anti-Bush (and thus often anti-US). I had the feeling that this was still the case--that most people in the UK and Europe were against US involvement in the Middle East. Will these bombings change that, do you think?
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2005, 05:23:04 PM »
It won't, I think. There will be a lot of 'who do they think they are?' and 'hah, they think they can affect us?'. Both sides will claim it as part of their case, and it will cancel out I suspect.

Too soon to really tell though.

Fellfrosch