Author Topic: Ella Enchanted preview out  (Read 2854 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Ella Enchanted preview out
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2004, 07:39:17 PM »
How can you say, as a regular contributor to a review (ie, critic) site, that you don't like critics?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2004, 07:43:57 PM »
I am full of self-loathing.

I've just never seen a review of a movie by a professional critic that had much bearing on whether the movie was really good.

Also, naturally, I can do it because i want free stuff.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2004, 09:39:07 PM »
Well--it's got a 46 on rt so far.

My problem with movie reviews is that they are mostly just a summary of the movie's plot. How's that supposed to help me know if the movie's good or not?
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2004, 06:57:49 PM »
You must be reading the wrong ones, MoD. I read every review Ebert writes, regardless of whether I actually care about the movie, simply because he's a very good writer. I tend to disagree with him in a lot of areas, but I know what those areas so I filter as I read, and I end up knowing exactly what I need to know.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2004, 01:15:02 AM »
It is the responsiblity of the film critic to go over the basic plot of the film. It's what most people are looking for in a review to help them decide if they want to see the film or not. Then the critic should add their opinion of the film on top of that.

Personally, I glean a lot about how a critic feels about a film by how they describe the film. I can usually tell if a critic is in a good mood or not when they saw the film and wether or not they went into the film with a bias.

Also, Ella Enchanted came in at number 9 at the box-office. So it sounds as though the film-makers just made a bad film despite having good source material.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2004, 08:49:44 AM »
Definitely the source material is good. The book won a Newbery Honor and is one of the most original Cinderella stories I've read that still allows her to get the prince at the end. I can't remember, but I think it came out in the early to mid-90s, so it came out before all the other retellings in book or movie (like Ever After).

Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2004, 01:43:52 PM »
I don't like Ever After. Sorry, I feel the need to say that.

Thanks for the tip Fell. I've wanted to start writing movie reviews, but hadn't found a good example. Anyone else know of a critic who writes useful reviews?
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2004, 03:06:23 PM »
To tell the truth, I like Eric Snider's movie reviews. He's a local Utah reviewer, for those non-utahns among us. Like Ebert, I don't always agree with his opinions, but he's very descriptive about why he does or doesn't like a movie, and he's consistent. So I can generally tell whether I'm going to like a movie based on his review.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2004, 09:54:12 PM »
Ditto on everything Tage just said.

His reviews are a very good judge of whether or not I'll like a movie.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2004, 11:28:37 PM »
That's the trick with reviewers--you know you're not going to agree with anyone 1005, so you have to find one you enjoy stylistically and then get to know them. You'll almost always come away from each review with a good idea of whether or not you'll like it, and why.

Sharm

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Drakecastle
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2004, 07:34:49 PM »
<sigh>  I was really hopeing that this would be a good movie, I loved the book so much.  But from the reviews and what I've seen of it, it's going to be horrific.

Yet another reason I wanted to make my own movies as a child.  Too bad I grew out of it...
Sharm @~`~