Author Topic: Peter Jackson and a New Fantasy Series  (Read 2206 times)

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Peter Jackson and a New Fantasy Series
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2006, 12:35:05 PM »
From the interview with Peter Jackson just posted on AICN, it looks like he's quite interested in doing the Hobbit, and has some interesting ideas for the movie--filming it more as a prequel to LOTR than as a kids film.  Well, he read that they wanted to make it two films, and that's how he would approach it.  I'm still ambivalent to the idea, but he also said he'd only do it if he could have continuity of cast--meaning we'd see the same Gandalf, Saruman, Galadriel, Elrond, Arwen, Legolas and Aragorn.  Basically, his idea would be to show the events leading up to LOTR.  Show the wizard's council concerned about what's happening with the apparent return of Sauron, show Aragorn protecting the Shire--that sort of thing.  That would all be the backdrop against which the story of the Hobbit is portrayed.  As a fan of Tolkien, it would be cool to see all of that as shown by Peter Jackson.  As a fan of The Hobbit . . . it just strikes me as odd and unnecessary.  Hence the ambivalence.  Anyway--read the interview for yourself here:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30085

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2006, 09:00:03 AM »
I dunno. Might be worth it just to see Jackson's dragon.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2006, 03:09:46 PM »
I can see that working pretty well, actually. The wizard council swooping in to take down the Necromancer would be awesome. And I admit that I'd love to see an army or two of dwarves.

As far as that goes, I think that doing some of the older Middle Earth stories would be way cooler than doing The Hobbit. How about Balin and his group trying to take back Moria? You could get a killer epic adventure romance out of the story of Beren and Luthien--that would rock.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net