Author Topic: Abridge Speculists Meeting Coordination  (Read 48889 times)

maisie

Re: Abridge Speculists Meeting Coordination
« Reply #135 on: June 30, 2005, 10:25:51 PM »
well im exhausted now but if anyone wants a comment or two .. you can email me at [email protected] and i will do my best.. :)

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 01, 2005, 12:39:23 AM »
SE, if you want, you can email me your piece, and I will email you back.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #137 on: July 04, 2005, 01:41:11 AM »
Major apologies.  Life got busy, with two siblings showing up in town this week (one just off his mission - first time the family's been together for 2 years), and us leaving for vacation come Tuesday, and my Dad in town last night for a MoTab concert (he's in the choir) and everything...

And I forgot to check the board.  If you want I'll read ch16 and get back to you when I'm in town again in two weeks, Saint E.

Sorry about this all, really.

In other news, I think a few of you might be glad to hear we've shelved the Orcs in our world for a more original enemy sort.  At least, we think they're original.

I still haven't figured out if I want to do more with the Dark Elf theme with Talyon's Quest, or cut the Elf references out of the story and gloss over that part.  Elves aren't vanishing from the world anytime soon, however.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #138 on: July 05, 2005, 10:53:11 AM »
well, if I'm going to just get email comments, I'm just going to finish the draft first.

so you'll hear from me on that in a while.

Reigheena

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Leaving documentation is totally blasphemous
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 12, 2005, 10:46:02 PM »
So, how could I get involved in this writing group? I'm in charge of my own writing group, but I'm interested in reading new things, as well as hearing new opinions.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #140 on: July 12, 2005, 11:02:09 PM »
well, we'd have to arrange meetings again, and make sure we're gettings submissions regularly. I think we have enough people, but we may need to wait until end of summer for JK to be back into things. What about it folks, who still wants (and CAN commit to) a weekly AS meeting?

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 13, 2005, 06:48:21 PM »
I'd still like to do it.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #142 on: July 16, 2005, 10:42:47 PM »
I'm back for this week.  Just in case we have a meeting this week.  Not likely, I know...

But I'm here for now.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2005, 04:46:16 AM »
Okay, I'm back for (relative) good now.  FYI.

So I can meet whenever the group in general can.

Out of curiosity... do we do poetry in this group, too, or just fiction?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 04:46:31 AM by JadeKnight »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #144 on: August 14, 2005, 09:53:56 AM »
well, that makes you , me, and MoD, by my count. If we all three show up, that's enough for me. Was anyone else interested in joining?

(edit: I looked back, looks like Reghiena (sp?) was interested too. Do you still check this thread?)

So when do we want to do this?

Poetry's just fine, I should think. We exist to help each other write and improve that writing. If one chooses to write poetry, I have no problem reading it. Just remember that as far as rhythm and meter go, I'm the whitest white boy ever. I can count syllables, but stresses are a bit beyond me for some reason (not for lack of trying).

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #145 on: August 14, 2005, 03:09:57 PM »
I'm generally good whenever.  Give me a tentative time, and I'll tell you if there are any conflicts.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #146 on: August 17, 2005, 02:22:51 PM »
Ok, I finally remembered to talk to MoD. We're looking at Tuesday at 9 AST (That's eastern for you left coasters). so, are we good to go? If so I'm sending out some chapters for The Heir of Ungrith.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #147 on: August 17, 2005, 02:48:49 PM »
Next week is Cabin Week for us (we have a cabin up at Lake Tahoe for the week).  There's no internet access there, and I'll probably be up there.

I might be in town, though.

Reigheena

• Level 1
  • Leaving documentation is totally blasphemous
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 17, 2005, 07:34:59 PM »
I'm interested, but once fall semester starts up, I'm going to be super busy. If you don't mind me coming for only one week, I should be fine for Aug. 23.

Some semantics questions though - how do submissions work? Where/how do we meet? How are the stories critiqued? Do we get them before hand or read them in the meeting?

I think that covers it. If I have any more questions, I'll let you know.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #149 on: August 18, 2005, 09:28:52 AM »
how do submissions work?

Submisisons are passed out via email. When that breaks down, they can usually be put online somewhere.

Where/how do we meet?

We meet online, since I'm an east coaster, MoD is a left-coaster, and the rest of you'se are somewhere in the middle. Time is usually given as AST (Abridge Speculist Time) which has traditionally been corellated to Eastern. (originally most of the participants were east-coasters). If you are familiar with IRC, connect to the UnderNet (eu.undernet.org works) and join #speculists. If none of that last sentence made any sense, then go to http://writer.herbertlives.com/modules/xpjirc/ let it connect, then type (without the quotes) "/join #speculists" That'll get you there.

How are the stories critiqued

The author controls the conversation. Usually by asking for general impressions and then asking specific questions about passages or ideas. There's always an opportunity for the reader to make mention of anything else they have noticed and for the writer to get feedback on specific issues.

Do we get them before hand or read them in the meeting?

Before hand. usually at least three or four days. Reading them at the meeting is impractical, since we're online.

Now here's the issue. I have a whole manuscript to blow through. Obviously a 53000 word manuscript is not something that can be handled in one session. I'd kind of like the same group all the way through. Since JK won't be there next week, I'd rather not start with mine unless Reigheena changes her mind and will meet with us after the semester starts. I'd rather wait till he can be in on the first chapter.
This does not mean I don't want ot meet next week. But does anyone else have something they want to submit?