Author Topic: d20 Future  (Read 4823 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: d20 Future
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2004, 10:58:03 AM »
Actually, I mostly like how the Mass Damage rules work. I get tempted to change it to just a con save instead of a fort save. However, in my D20 modern campaign it fairly rare that my players and my villians can just ignore mass damage saves.

What I would like to see for D20 Modern and Future is more rules to repesent governmental laws. Most players like to go around bruising stuff. However, in the modern world if you beat up someone, even a bad guy, there are legal consequences that get rather severe. And with modern forensic sciences you not very likey to go uncaught. So wish they would expand those legal manuevurings to make things feel more modern. Like how to handle a courtroom, or run a forensic investigation, or be a true criminal mastermind.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Nicadymus

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2004, 11:15:34 AM »
I appreciate the link.  I have a friend who is really big into this system right now and has been trying to familiarize me with it so I will go out and buy the books, but has not had the chance to loan me his copy as he is busy working on a campaign.  This will atleast give me a chance to become familiar with it enough to decide whether or not I want to buy the books.

Any other comments on how it works, likes, dislikes, etc.?

How easy would it be to take the RIFTS style setting and convert if over to D20 Modern/Future, and what books would be needed to accomplish that on the D20 side?
Boogie woogie woogie!!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2004, 11:36:01 AM »
If I were going to do cross-genre role playing, I would probably equip myself with d20 modern and future. Crossing it with D&D or Star Wars or most of the d20 lisence games would unbalance things, which is Rifts' biggest problem. You can do mages and tech guys with the rules, though you might want to customize some of the rules to make it easier.

The biggest sticking point about d20 modern is the economics system, which most people either think is brilliant or trash. I like it,because it lets me ignore things like taxes being due whenever in the game world, and I think it mostly works. It's not perfect, but it handles the vagaries of real world economics abstractly, not over simplifying it like a Gold Piece system would but not forcing me to calculate how mcuh interest is due on the character's home loan.

The other big issue, to me at elast, is that the magic is weak powered, generally speaking. It's not htat big a deal because it's universal and balances everything out.  I just want to be able to plop a high-power archmage in the middle of manhattan.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2004, 02:12:47 PM »
That is the Purchase difficulty class system, yes? Where you get a Money skill and roll against DC's to purchase things? Cybernet stole that, and i think it's quite good. It's main problem is how to reward the players for a mission - its so abstract its hard to work out what rewards to give. The Cybernet Errata recommended a temporary increase - say +2 to your next 3 rolls or whatever.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2004, 02:18:26 PM »
yeah, it works exactly like a skill, though it's not really a skill because you don't buy ranks in it like other skills, and I don't htink it's limited  by your level (been a while since I looked that up).

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2004, 02:42:03 PM »
I've had this book for a while now. Haven't gotten around to actually finishing up on the vast amount of stuff it has. I went through the radiation sickness part, and it's rather quite intersting. There are all sorts of rules for things. They have tons of starships, rules for space travel, mechs, etc. There are 3 different ages of expansion, after our own age (which is labeled progress level 5). Progress level's 6, 7, 8 are the advaced ages. All sorts of nifty gadgets and weapons. They even have certain gadgets that can be retrofitted onto your equipment. So, say you have a scoped rifle. In PL 7 or 8 you can get a video scope attachment. Which is a scope with a monitor on it (fitted into a cylinder that extends) and you can watch your target, record voices or snap a picture.

So yes. Lots of neat stuff. I'll be scoping out the school today for rooms to hold my d20 Future campaign in. And hopefully next week we'll be starting. Until next time true believer's.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2004, 03:46:50 PM »
Oh yeah, Modern is plenty deadly.  Jeez, its not supposed to be Cthulhu deadly, I mean they are supposed to be HEROIC characters.  I think an increased save DC against Massive Damage would have to be a class ability rather than automatic.  Its no so easy to raise your Saves in Modern, its not like DnD where if you put some effort into it then you will be saving all the time.  Modern you put some effort into it, and you still can fail a massive damage roll even by lvl 10.  And even for real high level characters, you will still always fail on a roll of 1, which is 5% of the time.  Higher levels, MAS will also be most rolls, and you will be getting hit a lot more than lower levels.  So just statistically, even if you only fail on a 1, you will likely fail just as much as lower levels.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2004, 03:47:20 PM »
Yeah. Rename those 'Tech Levels' and you have GURP's. They reduced TL's 9 through 14 into 9 through 12 now.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2004, 03:50:02 PM »
Yeah, I know about those tech levels in GURPS, but I haven't played with the system very much.  Not very long ago I picked up a GURPS setting, "New Sun".  Its based on the Book of the New Sun series by Gene Wolfe.  But even though I just bought it, its a pretty old book.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

MoreDew

• Level 6
  • Fire up the woodchipper, it's punishment time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2004, 01:16:34 AM »
Actually you want to talk massive damage rules, I think that the Call of Cthulhu d20 has the best rules of them all: massive damage of 10 hp's , fort. save or die.  Talk about making a lot of characters.

I have to admit that I really enjoy the modern d20 game.  I started a modern campaign where  I basically blended the old Palladium Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles RPG with the modern d20, so that mutants are common.  I think it's one of the best d20 RPG's out there.  The d20 future book rocks because it allows you to incorporate any futuristic idea into your campaign, such as the chapter on Mecha (ie Robotech).
gimme a tattoo of a butt, with a butt-shaped tattoo, right on my butt!

Nicadymus

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2004, 11:21:00 AM »
MoreDew has posted!!  Everybody, grab a snowball and throw it into Hell!!  It may Just have a chance!!   :P
Boogie woogie woogie!!

MoreDew

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2004, 11:33:00 AM »
Is it really that surprising that I finally posted?

Nicadymus

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2004, 02:32:40 PM »
Well, we have been nagging you about it for a while.
Boogie woogie woogie!!

MoreDew

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2004, 11:06:46 PM »
I know, so I finally decided to post.

Rican

• Level 5
  • What the hell am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2004, 12:55:11 PM »
Otherwise you would be a JERRY