Author Topic: Weird Cult Films That Make You Think...  (Read 2641 times)

darkjetti81

Weird Cult Films That Make You Think...
« on: May 28, 2006, 02:48:17 AM »
Okay, I thought I'd start a thread were we can post on neat and artsi films (which I LOVE).
To start with:

"Donnie Darko," a very thought-provoking film about a high school kid's Dark destiny....    anyone seen it??

caiticlu

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Eat Babies! - A Modest Proposal
    • View Profile
    • Llamoo
Re: Weird Cult Films That Make You Think...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 03:07:33 AM »
I LOVE Donnie Darko, its a great movie. One of the groups I was involved in on campus watched it one night and we spent about 3-4 hours talking about it and having philosophical and theological debates about it, until they kicked us out of the union to close it.
And with that... May your days be bright and your contact with stupidity limited...

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 04:44:56 AM »
That was a cool movie. Weird, but cool. Sadly, it's been years since I've seen it, and I'm unable to add anything more substantive.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 04:49:18 AM »
It was weird, not sure about cool.  Same for clockwork orange, not a big fan.  Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, now I love that show, its at least as funny as Dumb and Dumber, a real classic cult film.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 04:52:56 AM »
Haven't seen "Fear and Loathing." It's been even longer since I've seen Clockwork Orange (nearly 10 years). Not one of my favorites, but interesting, for its moral questions if nothing else. I've heard that the book is considerably better, but that's usually the case.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 05:16:05 AM »
Fear and Loathing, the first time you watch it, then its just kind of strange and sort of like Clockwork Orange, you feel it is saying something but you're not quite sure what it is.  But after you keep rewatching it, then it just gets funnier.  If you want to watch it, you best know there is a lot of swearing and such, its about 2 guys who go on a drug binge in Vegas.  It also was a book, same as clockwork.

You better take care of me Lord, if you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

darkjetti81

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 07:24:12 PM »
Here's one for ya:  "Fight Club"
-it did very poorly in theatres, but later on through word of mouth it broke records selling as a DVD.

AND get this, it was taught in my Ethics class last year for our unit on Existentialism.  

It was based on a book, and I think the book has a little better ending, but other than that the movie held it's own.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 08:14:58 PM »
Pi was one I really enjoyed.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

darkjetti81

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 11:54:41 PM »
Oh my god I forgot about that movie! ("Pi"!)    I'm gonna have to rent that again.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 11:57:18 PM by darkjetti81 »

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 09:44:49 AM »
Strange Days is one of my favorite underappreciated films.

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
  • Only one man can kill this many Russians.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 01:09:34 PM »
I've always been a fan of "Santa Claus versus the vampire sorority party babes from the twin moons of Saturn VIII."
Delicious! Like a tall cool glass of Nestle' Quik mixed in Orange Juice!

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 10:40:16 PM »
Or "Mom and Dad Save the World."
No, wait, that one didn't make me think.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 10:43:36 PM »
Strange Days is good because when Ralph Finnes says "Have you ever jacked in?" he really means it, belives it, like the tech is real... Reminded me of a great GM I had once...

Wierd cult film aye... Psycho Beach Party... witty, funny and an interesting take on the American beach flick...
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

caiticlu

• Level 4
  • Eat Babies! - A Modest Proposal
    • View Profile
    • Llamoo
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 10:45:06 PM »
psycho beach party amuses me lots, the first time i saw it i just sat there thinking "what the...."
And with that... May your days be bright and your contact with stupidity limited...

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 10:47:43 PM »
I think its hilarious that the most "educated" person in the whole movie only went to Northwestern for a semester and he's the psychology "major" who figures the whole thing out.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!