Author Topic: The Academy  (Read 1085 times)

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
The Academy
« on: March 28, 2005, 06:24:25 PM »
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: The Academy
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 07:35:29 PM »
Yes, yes he does. And he can rock hard with me anytime.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 07:43:54 PM »
Haha! The fun bit would be the studio trying to 'reimagine' old ships and stuff without the fans going mental :)
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 07:57:31 PM »
Yes, yes he does. And he can rock hard with me anytime.

I have no response to that, although it cries out for one.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 08:04:55 PM »
On, "The Academy:"  It would be best, I think, if they came up with a story arc, 3-4 years, like B5.  They could do SUCH cool things with character development in that setting.  They could follow the guy that drops out and becomes a trader or a mercenary or a whatever.  They could follow the guy who gets a field commision to captain on a training cruise when they run into a klingon battle cruiser outside the neutral zone and he ends up the only officer left and then wins the battle.  They could...do so many cool things.  

It boggles the mind.

-Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 10:33:04 PM »
Only Shatner can sell cool nowadays, and even then he doesn't really want to sell it.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 06:27:28 AM »
The Academy is a much better idea than Enterprise, with the potential to actually grow the Franchise rather than shrink it. I mean its a chance to do John Corbitt Space cadet in the Star Trek Universe...
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 07:51:10 AM »
INVASION IOWA
Tonight at 9, Spike TV.

When the makers of "The Joe Schmo Show" mounted their fake reality series, everyone was in on the practical joke but one guy, whose unexpectedly sweet reactions made the show more playful than mean.

For their new effort, the same producers have targeted an entire town, mounted a faux film - and enlisted as their chief co-conspirator William Shatner.

The result is "Invasion Iowa," a four-night, five-hour reality TV series (premiering tonight at 9) that has little to do with reality. It does, however, have something to do with oddly endearing and entertaining television.

William Shatner's delicious role as Denny Crane won him an Emmy as a guest star on "The Practice" last year, and he's doing even better work continuing the part this season on "Boston Legal."

Yet in "Invasion Iowa," he risks all that accrued goodwill by punking the folks of Riverside, Iowa, pretending to be an eccentric exaggeration of himself while filming a low-budget sci-fi movie - and casting many of the townspeople as co-stars and crew members.

To be fair, the residents of Riverside - population 928 - sort of asked for it. Years ago, a "Star Trek" fan and enterprising city council member (and in this context, "enterprising" may be one of my all-time worst puns) picked up on a piece of "Trek" trivia identifying Iowa as Capt. James T. Kirk's home state.

He got the town to pass a resolution proclaiming itself as the fictional character's "future birthplace."

"I don't think anybody who's interested in 'Star Trek' is nuts," Shatner says during his introductory remarks to the Riverside citizenry. "I just think they should get a life."

Shatner launches into his role, the role of being an over-the-top Shatner, with obvious zeal. Seated at a lunch counter, he starts poaching the French fries of the guy next to him - then bites his burger. He hands out color-coded berets called "Shats" (basically, mood rings for your head). He carries his Emmy around and displays it prominently. And when he runs auditions for supporting roles, his remarks and requests are more capricious than anything Simon Cowell pulls on "American Idol."

"Do it again, and do it with a Cajun accent," he tells one wanna-be actor.

"Sing 'Pinball Wizard,'" he tells another.

Some Riverside townspeople, like blond Brooke Lemke, get fat speaking roles and get to interact with the Hollywood "stars" of the fake "Invasion Iowa" film. Desi Lydic plays an actress named Gryffyn, who has a shoplifting problem, as well as a problem pronouncing the name of her character, a futuristic assassin called "the disintegratrix."

Shatner, in character as himself, can't say it either. He also rails against cell phones, enjoys homemade pie with Dale Cooper-ish enthusiasm, and counts on his own charm to take the sting out of this sting, when it's revealed.

"Invasion Iowa" runs nightly through Friday, when its two-hour conclusion reveals the joke, and the reaction. I'm surprised, but I'll be there. I may even be displaying the ultimate sign of approval: a green Shat.

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2005, 11:48:38 AM »
The Academy is a much better idea than Enterprise, with the potential to actually grow the Franchise rather than shrink it. I mean its a chance to do John Corbitt Space cadet in the Star Trek Universe...

Dude.  John (I always remembered it as Tom) Corbett, Space Cadet was my absolute favorite Sci Fi when I was a kid.  Do you by any chance remember the author's name?

Edit: Never mind, googled it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 11:50:52 AM by Skar »

-Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2005, 09:54:43 PM »
it prolly was Tom,..