Author Topic: Ultraviolet  (Read 1615 times)

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
Ultraviolet
« on: March 03, 2006, 12:14:32 PM »
Well, the creator of "Equilibrium" is releasing another film entitled, "Ultraviolet"

Here is Eric D. Snider's synopsis after NOT seeing a screening:

"ULTRAVIOLET"
(1 hr., 28 min.; rated PG-13 for sequences of violent action throughout, partial nudity and language)

From writer/director Kurt Wimmer ("Equilibrium") comes this futuristic sci-fi thriller starring Milla Jovovich as a genetically altered super-woman who must save her race of genetically altered super-people from being wiped out by a government that sort of regrets having made all these genetically altered super-people. (It seems to me that if you're going to create people who are better than you, you should probably expect that they will turn on you at some point.) It was not screened for critics, probably because it's too AWESOME. Sony was probably afraid we'd write all these 4-star reviews, and then audiences would be afraid to see it for fear it wouldn't live up to how AWESOME we said it was. That, or it sucks.

That said, I'm going to see it.  "Equilibrium" being my favorite film of all time is enough to give Wimmer the benefit of the doubt no matter how silly the premise sounds.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 12:26:22 PM by Skar »
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Ultraviolet
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 12:16:16 PM »
This is the third time this movie has come up. It's winning the ward for threads that slip under the radar.

The stills I've seen look like crap. I won't be seeing it, I think.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 12:24:51 PM »
The previews for this movie make me want to gouge out my eyes with blunt objects.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 12:29:48 PM »
I don't think they look that bad. It does look more and more like a really long music video without music, though.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 12:34:21 PM »
Well, wish me luck my friends for I enter the breach tonight at 10:25.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 12:37:25 PM »
Being a fan of wacky sci-fi action starring Milla Jovovich (a genre that, counting Ultraviolet, includes only two movies), I'm very tempted to see this. I doubt I will, but there you go.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 02:57:33 PM »
Being a fan of wacky sci-fi action starring Milla Jovovich (a genre that, counting Ultraviolet, includes only two movies), I'm very tempted to see this. I doubt I will, but there you go.

So is the other one either "Resident Evil"s or not. It is sci fi, and it's wacky.

So after Aeon Flux, and now Ultraviolet, what should the third movie in the trilogy be called and who's should it star?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 06:32:43 PM »
5th element.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 07:22:38 PM »
I consider Resident Evil to be horror, though it definitely has sci-fi in it. But yeah, I was thinking of 5th Element.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2006, 12:16:55 AM »
Yes, I know you were talking about 5th Element. I was just subtly mocking your admiration of Milla Jovovich.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2006, 12:56:03 AM »
And this is what Eric Snider said about the movie AFTER seeing it.

The movie was written and directed by Kurt Wimmer, whose "Equilibrium" (2002) had a little cult following. With "Ultraviolet," it would seem he wrote a coherent, plausible script, then went through and removed every other line. How else to explain this confusing jumble of sci-fi jargon and random plot twists, where the characters know perfectly well what's going on but the audience doesn't?

I love his reviews.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2006, 04:29:33 PM »
I'd just like to point out the movie got an overwhelming 3% fresh rating on Rottentomatoes.  Apparently 29 out of 30 critics think it sucks.  There's this guy in Maine who liked it, though.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2006, 06:38:46 PM »
Shouldn't that be reason enough to kick Maine out of the Union?

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 09:33:47 AM »
That's just the latest in a long line of reasons. The thing is, with just 49 stars, the flag just looks... wrong.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2006, 10:33:27 AM »
The third movie should star Sandra Bullock (with Keanu Reeves) called Slow Police Enter Eateries Dumbfoundedly. Or S.P.E.E.D.!
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo