Games > Role-Playing Games

A few notes on Lejendary Adventures.

(1/3) > >>

Slant:
The other night I came to the rpg page and found a review of the Lejendary Adventures game written by (if I remember) Kid Kilowatt.  From the review, it seems that KK is under the impression that this is a brand new game, but it isn't.  The game, written by industry creator Gary "I Am The Diceman" Gygax first appeared on shelves in 1999. The first book, Lejendary Rules, was available in two versions: the normal version for $25 and a deluxe version signed by Gygax himself for $35.  The Game Masters codex and the Beasts of Lejend books soon followed, as did half a dozen or so adventures which ranged from "real damned good" to "what, was he on drugs when he wrote this?"  The game, although beloved by the old school gamers who went wild over seeing GG's name on a game book, was a financial disaster.  The books did not sell well due to a combination of no ad campaign and (I hate to admit it) the fact that the books were poorly laid out and contained some of the worst rpg artwork this side of Errol Otus.  The worst problem (in my own opinion) was the absolute lack of a game world.  We were given races, monsters, ships, weapons, and everything but the kitchen orc, but there was no context to use them in.  By mid-2000, the game was long gone.  Lately, though, there seems to have been a resurgeance on interest in Lejendary Adventures due to Gary Gygax going on record as admitting that the original game was flawed and that there would be new products for the game in 2003 that would be more in line with what has become the industry standards.  Sooo, let us wait and see what develops.  I will say that I really enjoy the game, which is simple, easy to pick up, and encourages role-playing over dice rolls.  Creating a character is simple and fun.  It takes only a few minutes and when you are finished you have a character who is really good at one thing, not bad in a couple of others, and has some small proficiency in perhaps one more realm.  The magic system is quite flexible and allows anybody to learn a spell or two to compliment their other skills or abilities, not just mages.  My own character is a high-strung kobold duelist who fancies himself a cavalier (when he isn't out tomb raiding and the like).  Oh, and before I wrap this up, let me tell ya: the first of the new books to come out in 2003 is a complete worldbook!   Joy  :o)

Spriggan:
Thanks for the background on that game, sad that they didn't bother fixing many of the problems with this release.

Mr_Pleasington:
Actually, Slant, I hang out on a lot of boards that Gary frequents and that motivated me to look into this game a few months back.  While it was never a big hit, it has sold well for EGG to keep writing for it steady.  I don't think it was ever long gone as there has been a steady stream of product produced for it after its release.  Lately he's been publishing adventures for it which are dual statted for LA and d20.  Also, I saw ads for this game all over the place.  Dragon, KODT, etc...  I don't know how long they ran though.

Not trying to contradict you, it's just that what I found out doesn't match up with you history... :)

They're even making a MMORPG based on it and Lejendary Earth.  There's screenshots up at Gary's site (which I don't have the address to right now).

Someday I might pick the game up, but right now I'm busy planning out a AD&D 1E (with some Hackmaster) campaign!

Kid_Kilowatt:
Thanks for reading the review, Slant.  I'm well aware, though, that Lejenjary Adjenjures is not brand new.  When I called it his "new" game in my review, I was referring to it in relation to D&D and Dangerous Journeys (i.e. it's the game he's currently working with.)  The system has only been around for 3 years and is still picking up steam, so I don't think it's wrong to call it new.    It's fanatically loyal online following is growing, and then there's the MMORPG that's being developed, at Mr P mentioned.

I've reconsidered my review, though, and I think I may have been too kind initially.  The lack of a game setting is inexcusable, the char gen system is execrable, and the system is no more "simple and fun" than any rpg rule system designed with the smirking condescension that comes from thinking that all RPG gamers are morons.  It's a TERRIBLE game.  The art is perfect, though - in that it's half-baked, just like the ideas that goes with it.  Worst of all, here is nothing in it that lifts it above other fantasy RPGs - its mediocrity is its most damning attribute.  I think I like "World of Synnibarr" better, and it's widely known as the worst fantasy RPG ever written.  

Just goes to show: yesterday's fair-haired wunderkind is today's demented, out-of-touch crackpot.

Mr_Pleasington:
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... KK...don't let him hear you say that!  Otherwise he won't team up with Rob Kuntz and finally publish the legendary Castle Greyhawk.  :)

In all seriousness, nothing he has produced after D&D has been a much of a success, although LA does seem to be doing okay.  From what I can gather from his frequent posts over at ENworld, Dragonsfoot, and Pied Pipers boards, though he is a friendly, humble man who just loves games.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version