Author Topic: House of Flying Daggers  (Read 1159 times)

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
House of Flying Daggers
« on: February 21, 2005, 07:21:17 AM »
From the same director as Hero, which I'm still yet to see.

I saw it today, and I'd reccomend it - it is EASILY as good as Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. The effects are well done, the martial art scenes beautiful in their coreography. A special mention for the settings, which show off nature to the full, a brilliant ending, and, well, go and see it.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: House of Flying Daggers
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 08:09:20 AM »
I saw it a few weeks back.

It's a silly pompus movie thats decided that its above such things as 'plot', 'sensible endings', 'making sense'. The cheography was nowhere near as interesting as CTHD, the daggers were apparently heat-seeking missiles or contra-gravity or some such, and the entire movie reeked of the scriptwriter having ideas for a few scenes and struggling to fit them together into a cohesive movie. And all the nature shots, thats what the discovery channel is for.

The end fight was fairly realistic looking but i was shifting in my seat in boredom by that point.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 08:56:22 AM »
Comeone Entropy, even you have to admit the Bamboo fight scenes were cool.

I think this movie did for sound what Hero was for cinomatogrphy, and was the most intersting thing about the movie.  Though I agree with entropy that the plotting was a little contrived, but I still liked it despite that and the dumb ending.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 08:58:24 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 09:03:11 AM »
See, I thought the ending was the best bit. Maybe you aren't approaching the film with the open mind needed to experience film from a different culture. In other words, it seems like a bad ending to us western people because we're not used to movies that end that way.

Personally, the bit where it changed from Autumn to Winter was one of the most brilliant pieces of cinematography I've ever seen.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2005, 09:58:40 AM »
**Spoiler**

No I understand that Asians like endings like that, and there are some I do like.  But I just don't like this one.  I mean holy crap, how long were they fighting and was she supposdly dead?  It was cheesey and stupid and my likeing it has nothing to do with not being "open minded".  Not likeing things other do isn't being closed minded, it's called haveing an opinion.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2005, 10:11:24 AM »
CTHD is one of my favourite films...
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 10:51:49 PM »
I'm not saying it's being closed minded, I'm just saying that viewing the movie closed mindedly would cause you to not like the ending most likely, not that it was the only reason you couldn't like it.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 08:39:27 PM »
I don't think this movie is really about plot. To me, it seemed more about beautiful movie making and emotion. I didn't like it as well as Hero or Crouching Tiger, but it was still better than most films out there.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 08:58:29 PM »
Ok, see, I hated Hero. So if you guys are saying this is WORSE than Hero, then I'm crossing it off my list.  Beautiful is fine, but I don't need to pay $7 to see "beautiful" in a nonsensical (to me) context.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005, 09:26:29 PM »
Before you say that more JP, go watch Das Boat. It's a german film, set on a UBoat. Very dark, and has a extremely grim ending. One of my favourite films of all time.

Yes, I can handle bad endings. I'm a Cthulhu fan remember? And Cyberpunk. Neither of those are known for their happy contrived endings.

Fellfrosch