Author Topic: Cyberpunk Game  (Read 1283 times)

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
Cyberpunk Game
« on: June 28, 2004, 11:07:44 PM »
It's Cyberpunk day, and since Slant gets away with long posts about all of his sessions, I might try the same thing with my Cyberpunk game, starting with the session last week.

First, meet the Characters.

Seth Streak is who I play - a fixer. He's a short guy, extroverted, a people person. He talks fast and can get stuff. Dresses in Urban Flash or Edge Runner gear, with a massively cool armoured trenchcoat that stops bullets. He's got spiky hair, red and one side and blue on the other, and matching skin tints down his face. That's why they call him streak.

His partner is Headache, a netrunner. Headache is the opposite of streak in many ways. He's introverted, and has a scarred face. Streak gets all the girls, Headache gets none. For the record, Streak is 22, and headache is 17, if I recall correctly.

As the story begins, it's 2040, Brisbane. Headache and Streak have just gone itno business for themselves as Private Invertigaters, with a Hole in the Wall office down in the Valley.

The first customer ever turned out to be an Aquantaince of Streak - another Fixer, Slim Chance. Slim wants us to find a stolen datachip, containing corporate personell listings. Doesn't sound too hard, so we agree. He asks for a price, Streak tells him to name one, forgetting that as a corporate he should now have a standard price. Since Slim is a friend, they agree on the discount price of 280 bucks a day, with a two day advance.

Not wasting time, the two start investigating. Streak hits the streets, and heads down to the Handmaidens bar on Ann. Looking around, he finds a contact, Dianne, surrounded by groupies.

"What is it this time, Seth?"

"I hear there's a market on sometime soon?" (Streak heard this from another contact. He felt the best first step would be to try to track the chip to any black markets that are on soon.

"Market's Tomorrow." She gives him the address, and Streak returns home.

Meanwhile, Headache hit the net. He meets up with a Hacker with an Icon of a greek god.

"Hey Apollo!"

"It'z Zeus, you uncultured Pig!"

They chat for a while. Headache agrees to code him a cool program (That'll take a week to program) in exchange for info on the chip. He starts coding, I meet up and we share findings, and report to Slim.

Next night, Streak hits the markets. He finds a datachip retailer, but not the chip he wants. He does find info on a hacker named "Nail" who seems a good lead. He hangs out  with a prowler in a bar on Ann. Streak makes a customary purchase of a cheap Virtual Girl chip, thinking he can sell it for more later.

Back at home, he interrupts Headache's coding, and gets him to test the chip.

"No man, it's completely borked!" lies Headache, stuffing the chip into a draw.

Anyone, Streak gives him the details on Nail, and gets Headache to get on the net and find out some stuff. He gets an address, and we try to arrange a meeting with another lead, by sending out a message. "Go to the bar, and meet a colourful man" When it gets sent, an strange program tries to intercept it, and Headache destroys it with his Killer.

The meeting is supposed to be at Kyla's bar on Ann. We head down there. Streak is approached by a woman carrying a very mean gun.

"Your informant won't be coming tonight."

"Nice piece. I have one too. What's going on, and who are you?"

"Name's Grey. Get off the case, Streak."

"And why should I do that?"

"Goodbye Seth. Alice says hello"

She leaves, and Streak orders a shot of Vodka before joining his partner at the table and taking it in a single gulp.

"Who was that?"

"Said her name was Grey. Our informant isn't coming tonight, and she said she wants us off the case. And she's working for Alice."

"Alice?"

"Had a girlfriend last year. Corporate by the name of Alice. Her family didn't like her going out with a kid from the combat zone, thought I wasn't good enough. Told me to break it off or they'd kill me. So I did. But now she hates me for ruining her life, and tries to kill me every chance she gets.  Headache, this is bad."
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
Re: Cyberpunk Game
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 11:07:54 PM »

Streak gets scared the next day, as we try to figure out a plan.  Headache hacks the system of the corp for which Alice works.  It's a hard hack, and he encounters a program that turns part of his brain to jelly, permanantly lowering his intelligence. Then he gets traced, and decides to get out of Cyberspace before it gets too dangerous.

He did pick up one document, showing that a Solo (Killer) by the name of "Lily Grey" works for the corp alright. Her number's in the phone book too. We call up Slim, ask if he knows of her. Tells us she's a vicious Solo we shouldn't mess with. We agree, and start planning.

Can we hire our own solo? Too much money. My Solo sister? In another country. Wait, we could make a phone call and fake we have the chip, to see if she does in fact have the chip. Try to sell it to her, sell her a fake chip. But she'd catch up with us. Unless we kill her... Ambush her in an Edgerunner bar? She'd still kill us. A carbomb? No techie skills, and besides, Streak can't streetdeal a bomb at all, even with cash.

Eventually, we decide on our only lead: Nail, who hangs out at Kyla's bar.

We get there, and it's been taped up, a crime scene. We pass through the door, and the entire place is shot up. Streak finds Kyla, asks what happened. Turned out a Solo shot up the place, killed a hacker. His prowler friend got away bleeding. What weapon? The one Grey showed me before.

Streak warns Kyla about Grey, tells her not to try messing with her no matter what. She says she isn't stupid.

One more lead. The Prowler likely got to the illegal surgery by a friend of mine, name I can't remember. We go straight there.

He's security mad, points a gun at us until he relises it really is Streak. We have an ambiguous discussion, realising the Prowler is dead and with him. We need to find if the chip was on his posession.  We intimidate him, tewll him about how Grey wants it and will kill him to get it, without mentioning quite what it is. Eventually, we discover he has no chip, but does have a pocket computer. It's our only lead, and he wants Streak to streetdeal up some drugs for us to look at it.

End of Session

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
Re: Cyberpunk Game
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2004, 03:53:11 AM »
Session 2

Streak gets the drugs for Doctor Franc, and he hands over the portacom, which has a chip reader taped onto the side. We go to inspect it, when the lights cut out.

"It's just a brown-out, happens all the time" says Franc. "The Generator should kick in soon."

It gets even darker, and the generator doesn't kick in. Franc moves over to inspect it. In the dark, we hear odd shuffling sounds, and the sound of a table turning over.

Streak moves in the direction Franc was, and sees him on the ground, alive. A sound behind him...Spin! unfortunately, Streak misses his switchblade attack, and gets hit on the thigh. The cut is enough to take him down.

Meanwhile, Headache moves to another door, in the hopes of letting some light in.  He's confronted by a large, tattood man with a monowhip. Pulling out his gun, he fires two shots, taking the guy out with  few holes in the arm.

Headache moves over to the downed Streak, and sees the second attacker fleeing. he tries to take chase but loses him as he gets into the street. As Streak gets to his feet, they look at the body, and it appears to be just a booster gang member. The portacon is still around.

As Franc comes to, Streak and Headache make a big deal about thanking them for saving his life, and how he owes them. While doing so, they get him to fix up Streak's wound, and have a look at the portacon. It leads them to a right wing political activist group in South America.

Home. Headache boots up his deck, and makes a few jumps over to South America. (Melbourne, Tokyo, Salt Lake City, and another I can't remember). Inside, he sees an oddly shaped room full of rather abstract icons.

Headache looks around, and finds the only datagate guarded by a watchdog. Instead, he rezzes Jackhammer, and punches in through the Northside. No good. Second attempt - in.

Inside, he finds a number of datastores, and a worm shaped Ice. Not good.

Headache rezzes his Killer, and attacks. He fails, gets dumped, and his deck fries - or at least one chip.

Streak hits the street, down to the Handmaidens of Destruction. (Which still sounds like a strip club, albeit a gothic one). Diana isn't there, but he leaves a message. A day later, Streak has a new chip for cheap, and an eye out for some other hardware and software.

Headache installs, and jumps across again. This time, he Jackhammers in at an alternate point, and is confronted by some more ICE.

Rezzing killer, he sets it to attack as he searches the datastores. He starts downloading, and one ICE derezzes from killer. Still downloading, he dumps a program he has backed up on disc to make space. Eventually, he gets dumped again, dry-retching from dump shock. The chip is fried again.

He sorts the data. Looks like he got the file - it's a partial datalisting from the right company. Calls Slim, tells him to take a look.

Slim verifies it's the right file. He's not worried about the possibility of copies, he only wants info on one individual.

Hmm...The listings included info on various corporate spies.  Grey wasn't to be seen.

The plot thickens, but we got the cred.

Case closed.