Author Topic: Geek Girls Survival Guide #2  (Read 4453 times)

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: Geek Girls Survival Guide #2
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 05:06:55 PM »
Another awesome installment. MsFish, you have a great voice. Very funny.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 05:38:57 PM »
The heathens.

Haha. You are hilarious. Ditto stacer.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

cyan10101

• Level 6
  • the spice is vital for space travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 11:44:44 PM »
i liked the article a lot.  though i would have to say that i never thought girls would have a fear of going in a game store.  I can relate to the victoria secret comment though.  Even when i was going out with a girl i don't know if i would go in there.  

I had to get my sister some hand lotion with some gloves you wear at night that victoria's secret came out with and i couldn't do it.  I got one of my girl friends in high school at the time to get the items for me.  So hats off to you girls for actually going in.
On a side note, I would be happy to go with ms. fish if she ever wanted to go back and check out some white wolf books. ;)
everything was going fine, until i critically failed my intelligence check!

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 03:00:35 AM »
Bravo for facing your fear. And for patronizing local businesses, though I'm not sure there's a superchain out there that carries WW. Or any dice that aren't cubes. Anyway, huzzah!
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 03:24:29 AM »
Excellent article.  Glad to have you here at TWG.

Interesting note:  I have never GMed a group that lacked a girl.  Sometimes, I have even had 2 girls in my group at once (I am trying to remember if I've ever had three.  I may have, but I'm not confident.  I know I've been in a group with 3 girls, though).

One of my female friends is über-geek to the max.  She has a "+1 Shirt" which she wears frequently.  She drools over the thought of getting stone dice (such as opal dice).  And she's Muslim.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 06:01:51 PM »
Another interesting note... before White Wolf I never met a woman gamer. After they got popular I met a lot... But the women afraid of geek shops is an all too common occurance. Yay to fish and Chimera for assaulting it head on.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 06:12:04 PM by ElJeffe »
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 06:57:42 PM »
I'm same as Jade. In the perhaps 100+ sessons of RPG's i've been in, only 10 or so didn't have a girl in them.

My GM expounded to the group in the pre-game meet & greet that having a girl at the table changes the group dynamic of a RPG instantly - makes the men less competitive, he said. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 06:58:06 PM by Charlie82 »
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 07:50:49 PM »
It depends... is the girl at the table the GM's girlfriend?
Cause that just causes all kinds of suck for everyone but her.

GM-"So, you walk into the cave and see a Dragon"
All- "We attack"
GM-"Well the dragon attacks first with his breath weapon and kills everyone but Shanya the Elf who walks up the flame and stabs the dragon in the eye killing it!"
All but Shayna's player- "I hate the GM's Girlfriend"

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 08:08:18 PM »
Haha. I've heard that sort of thing, only it was the GM's PC (ie, it was the NPC who was uber, never failed and tagged along with the group). I've decided to do my best never to play in the games of the two GM's guilty of that again. Got boring being second fiddle :P
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fangirl

• Level 2
  • Join the Dark Side - We have cookies!
    • View Profile
    • The Smith Geeks
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 08:16:39 PM »
This was a highly entertaining article  ;D ... and now I know a game store to hit when I make it back to Utah, unless MsFish is talking about Provo in some other state (in which case, I'm going to hope it's on the way back to UT from NC).  

~Danielle
(Gamer Chick, Web Nerd, Marine, adaptable to many situations ... )
"The Sith can throw lightning from their fingertips; this makes any one of them a Darth and stormy knight."

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2005, 08:17:59 PM »
Now I will give my friend Beth credit, she was the GM's girlfriend, but never let it get in the way of messing with his mind. She was definately one of us, a player out to mess up his best laid plans. Didnt hurt that she played Malkavian crazy vampires all the time...

leaving a trail of childrens bodies behind her much to his dismay. :P

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2005, 08:19:01 PM »
Theres plenty of Gamestores in NC Fangirl.
Heck theres a great on in Greensboro,... Cosmic Castle!

Oh and dont forget to introduce yourself

http://www.timewastersguide.com/boards/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=news;action=display;num=1051196804
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 08:21:07 PM by ElJeffe »

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2005, 01:25:59 AM »
See, I've never had this "GM's girlfriend" problem, because my GMs have all been married to players, so it was more a GM's wife thing,  and if anything they went harder on their spouses than on the rest of us.  Mostly, I think it was pretty equitable though.  I guess it changes the dynamic when you're married.

Also, now our GM is a girl.  And she's married to a player.  And she definitely has fun picking on Mr. M, though no more than the rest of us, I don't think.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2005, 02:33:22 AM »
See, I don't get the "be nice to your girlfriend in a game, because you'll hurt her in real life" thing. It's a game. It's not personal, it's business--so to speak. I think, if anything, it's more fun to really challenge someone you're dating. Not necessarily *beating* them, per se. Just... sparring, but in a healthy, nonconfrontational, nonpersonal way. And when the game is over, you laugh about it together. Just like with any other friend. Right?
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing