Author Topic: ELANTRIS Paperback  (Read 4023 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
ELANTRIS Paperback
« on: May 30, 2006, 03:20:45 PM »
Well, today is the official release date.  I'm curious to see how paperback sales go--I've been through the hardback thing once, but paperback is a whole new world for me.  

I was waiting to see what the Amazon numbers were today, and there's be a lot less fanfare than there was for the paperback.  In hardback, we got to about #2500 in books the first few days.  The paperback is around 40k right now, which is lower than it's been before, but hardly stunning.  

Makes me wonder, however, how people even find new books on Amazon.  There's really no way a small, genre book like this is going to get any sort of publicity on their site.  My guess is that people have to go browse bookstores, see the book and want to buy it, then go order it off of Amazon.  However, I see that happening far less frequently for paperbacks than hardbacks, since Amazon offers HBs at significant discounts, but paperbacks are at their regular prices.  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: ELANTRIS Paperback
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 06:45:36 PM »
Amazon often sends out marketing emails for things like this, though it's a limited number. Mainly, I think what drives people to buy paperbacks via Amazon is a book they read at the library but didn't want to spring for the hardcover, or a book they'd been meaning to read but hadn't, or a book a friend or someone else recommended to them to look up. Not sure how else, except in the connections on things like "the page you made." I know that Melusine often comes up when viewing Elantris ("people that bought this also bought this"), and that's another way that traffic gets pulled in to other books, I think.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 03:16:16 PM »
I buy hardbacks almost exclusively from Amazon, and paperbacks almost exclusively from bookstores. I don't know if that's typical, but it makes sense to me, since paperbacks are the same price, and if I go down to the bookstore I can get it now.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 05:30:17 PM »
I'm guessing that is very common, judging on the sales numbers via Amazon.  That's what I'd do too.

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 06:10:12 PM »
Isn't Elantris selling in bookstores as well as Amazon? I do the same as Tage: i.e. buy paperbacks in the bookstore (if I buy paperbacks. Usually I buy hardbacks because they're nicer and I don't usually buy a book unless I really like it. They're heavy to move!).

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 11:12:40 PM »
Well, regardless of where people buy it, having Elantris in PB is cool. Congrats on having your first softcover run! :D
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 10:14:55 PM »
Sorry for the doublepost, but how's this for cool: I found 2 copies of the PB of Elantris at Boston's South Shore B&N. They were even face-out too. Not bad.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 09:50:18 PM »
From the paperback:

Apparently, EUOL has an evil twin.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 09:59:22 PM »
This Brandon Anderson person is brilliant!  Though to be honest this wouldn't be the first time people have printed "Sanderson" as "Anderson", it was a fairly common occurrence when I was in school.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 01:02:01 AM »
Is there an accent on the A in Brandon? Even thought it won't change the pronunciation, I'm going to always say his name with an accent now.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 01:16:21 AM »
The thing is, a lot of people still call me Brian Sanderson in reviews and the like.

So, it looks like I've got my pen name chosen for me.  Brian Anderson.  

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 03:43:50 AM »
I'm sure I'm going to inadvertantly insult someone who has that name, but "Brian Anderson" sounds like he writes technical manuals for toaster ovens, or something equally mundane.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 04:24:05 AM »
Actually, he writes about prisoners rehabilitating.

And he's also a major league baseball player.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 10:36:50 AM »
hahaahahaa. Goodness, who proofread that section? One would have hoped that the big, bolded name would be correct. I bought the PB yet I hadn't looked at the endmatter yet. Huh. That's funny.

Ah well, maybe in the future, EUOL could eventually evolve into Bran or Brain Anderson and not just BrĂ¡ndon Anderson. That could prove entertaining, though, um, the undiscerning reader might go looking for Mistborn on the wrong shelf....
--Spriggan

Eric James Stone

• Level 12
    • View Profile
    • Eric James Stone's Website
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 01:04:24 PM »
Just make S your middle initial: Brandon S. Anderson.
Eric James Stone
Nebula Award Nominated Author
Read my serialized novel Unforgettable for free online.