Author Topic: Review: Civ Board Game  (Read 934 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Review: Civ Board Game
« on: September 30, 2004, 11:01:43 AM »
reference: http://www.timewastersguide.com/view.php?id=861

Eagle's pretty good at making huge boards. Attack!, with the expansion, has a board easily 6x2... FEET.

Anyway, what's so bad with the money chips? do they not stack? Do you just have too many of them?

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: Review: Civ Board Game
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 08:56:36 PM »
Good review Jam. We've discussed this in our gaming group. One member mentioned that Civ was actually based upon a board game to begin with... so this is the board game of the computer game of the board game...
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 09:39:35 PM »
The only thing wrong with them is that they're crappy little circular bits of cardboard. The sort that fall to pieces just handling them. Using something a tad more substantial and easy to read is just better overall. They stack, but then you can't see how much you have. And yeah, there's a bunch of them.

I love the game, but I played it once and don't see myself having the right conditions to play more than once every three years.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004, 09:44:26 PM »
I play Attack more often than that, b ut maybe I'm just in a different scenario than you. After all, I live in big houses, and you live ina  dorm. THat instantly gives me like, 100 times as much space as you, even if I share it with 7 other people.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2004, 09:49:01 PM »
I don't live in a dorm. I live in a Suburban house with my friends family, which is a two hour trip to the city where I work/go to school/game on a daily basis. And I don't have the money to buy the game, nor friends who I can actually get all in the same place at one time.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 10:16:46 AM »
By the way, did I ever mention that I've played this once? When did this version come out? I played it at BYU, probably 5 or 6 years ago. I lasted about an hour. We had started about 7 pm, and I left at 8:30 or so, having been completely wiped out (first time playing, and nobody was really interested in helping me out)--I got bored watching them play, so I left. I heard later that they went to about 3 or 4 in the morning. It takes FOREVER. I don't remember well, but I think one of the Nates (can't remember which he is--Prometheus?) was in my ward at the time and was one of the players.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing