Author Topic: Root Beer  (Read 3167 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Root Beer
« on: January 10, 2006, 10:49:58 AM »
So I've got this new brand of root beer I tried for the first time yesterday. Virgil's
It has some very strange herbs for a root beer. It tastes something like a cross between Boylan's birch beer and a strong herbal tea. I think I'll be buying it again, though it's no Dominion.

Now, if you mention a root beer on this thread that comes in a plastic bottle, I will mock you.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Root Beer
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 11:43:41 AM »
A&W!
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 12:36:54 PM »
I've already mocked you.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 03:56:56 PM »
I don't like root beer.   I think it tastes like it's already gone bad.  

Let the mocking begin.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 04:07:08 PM »
I've hosted a few foriegn exchange students from Spain over the years, and all of them have disliked root beer.  When I asked Alejandro, one of them, why, he replied, "This drink tastes like the oil."  When I inquired further in spanish, I found out he meant that he thought it tasted like motor oil.  Apparently this is a pretty common consensus aomng spaniards, who don't drink root beer or Dr. Pepper (which they dislike because they think it tastes like medicine, which it kinda does).

Naturally I had to take his coke and replace it with a root beer a day later.  Totally worth the spanish cursing that ensued...
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Tink

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 04:16:12 PM »
I personally don't understand it. I've been told by Australians that root beer is gross as well. I realize that they haven't grown up with it, and so are not used to the taste, but it's not like everything we don't grow up with we hate when we try. All I know is it's my soda of choice and I think it tastes divine. (Although I once tried the root beer at Brick Oven and I thought it tasted like root beer candies and I didn't like it. It's the only root beer I've tried that I didn't like.) Yummy root beer.

And e can tease me if he likes because although I love root beer, I usually drink the cheap stuff because I'm cheap so I can't contribute to the discussion of good root beer that come in glass bottles. Sorry. (It's not that I've never had glass-bottled root beer, just not much or often.)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 04:22:53 PM »
Most MExicans that I've met hate Root Beer as well, for the same reason that "it tastes like medicine." Once I introduced them to root beer floats, however, that opinion usually changed quite quickly.

And as for the debate of glass vs. plastic, well, I think that's a silly and pretentious place to draw the line of quality. It's like people who say indie movies are inherently better than Hollywood movies--just because the manufacturing process is different, or smaller, doesn't make the product inherently better.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 05:31:09 PM »
The best root beer (Stewarts) comes in glass, though I don't know if I'd put the compliment on the container or the recipe (however, I love drinking from a cold glass bottle -- so much better than plastic).

A&W is the best plastic bottle brew.  Barq's is okay, but too much of a bite.  Mug is like drinking straight corn syrup.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 05:31:47 PM »
It may be pretentious but it's not silly.

A&W is the only remotely good root beer that comes in a plastic bottle. There are only one or two brands I can name that aren't better than A&W that also come in a glass bottle.

It's not a predisposition toward glass, it's the statistical chance of getting a decent root beer.

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 11:26:29 PM »
Dad's. Or Hires.

I wish I knew of a place around here that carries them.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 11:55:12 PM »
I JUST finished an A & W Root Beer Float, right before I found this thread.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 12:57:00 AM »
Whatever it came in originally, pour it into a glass mug that's been in the freezer for a while. Scrum-diddely-umptious!
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 04:57:41 AM »
Just grab a pint of proper British beer people. Honestly, drinking beer thats non-alcholic? Whats the point in that? :P
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2006, 06:37:38 AM »
I do enjoy the Barq's, lots of bite and full of vigor and spit and vinegar. Never had British brews though. Could you name a few so I might pick some up at the local market Ent?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2006, 07:04:02 AM »
It's easy to pick out the British brews, they're the ones that look like dirty dishwater.  The more chunks floating in them the better.  ;D

In all seriousness the only British brew I know of is one that's a very "thick" brew for lack of a better word, it's very dark and isn't opaque.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.