Author Topic: review: Flightplan  (Read 1358 times)

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: review: Flightplan
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 03:39:34 PM »
I actually heard a case of a woman whose husband died.  She insisted she was pregnant after this, and ended up having a gallstone she had to go into surgery for.  After the surgery, she was convinced she had given birth, and she carried around a doll everywhere insisting that it was her baby.  In her mind, the child was real.

For some reason, I was having formatting issues with it, too.  It wanted to use Latin encoding or some such.  (I shifted it to windows, and now it displays fine).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 03:41:00 PM by JadeKnight »
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 02:45:24 PM »
Yeah this movie wasn't too bad, I think I liked it more than Corpse Bride.  I'm still not sure what that was all about with the Arabs, just some social commentary I guess.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 07:53:19 PM »
Yeah this movie wasn't too bad, I think I liked it more than Corpse Bride.  I'm still not sure what that was all about with the Arabs, just some social commentary I guess.

I really loved the stuff with the Arabs - yeah, it was social commentary, but it wasn't heavy handed, and it was absolutely true. My one complaint with that was that, unless I missed somehting, they didn't explain why she thought she saw them watching her and Julia through their window. I guess it was just paranoia.
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 05:59:45 AM »
Yeah that was what I meant.  She was either making it up for people to believe her, or maybe she did see them walking around at the first and I just didn't notice.  I do remember her watching them either just before or while getting on the plane, so she had "saw them" before... if that counts.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 01:20:55 PM »
Yeah that was what I meant.  She was either making it up for people to believe her, or maybe she did see them walking around at the first and I just didn't notice.  I do remember her watching them either just before or while getting on the plane, so she had "saw them" before... if that counts.

I would like to the see it again - it's always interesting to me to watch this kind of movie a second time, when you know what to watch for, so you can see how well it holds up.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 12:39:57 AM by Patrick_Gibbs »
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 02:43:37 AM »
***Spoilers***

I saw this movie Friday night and really liked it. It kept me in suspense for awhile--wondering if she was delusional or not. What you guys said about the Arabs was the same plot hole problem I had--as we were leaving the movie, I turned to my friends and said, "So who did she see in the window?" I would have liked to have that resolved.

I also have to say that the ending was a little cheesy to me, with her walking through the crowd and you hear comments like, "She never gave up. She always believed." Please. Blatant theme-dropping? Oh yeah.

But overall, I thought it was well-done. One of the heart-breaking moments of the movie for me was when the Air Marshall brings her back in hand cuffs and everyone claps. Okay, even if she IS delusional, she can't help it. She's a woman suffering from a problem, people! I know they were all annoyed and scared by the oxygen masks and lack of electricity, and in all honesty I don't know how I would have reacted. It makes me wonder. But I would hope I would have more compassion for someone who appears to be suffering with something she can't control.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"