Author Topic: Movie Downloads  (Read 2462 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Movie Downloads
« on: April 04, 2006, 11:49:18 AM »
So, according to the rumor, several studios are going to start selling downloads of their moves.

One may say "yay! At last!" except that movie studios are going to great lengths to prove they're still stupid.

The movies will be $20-30 and cannot be copies or burnt to DVD. So you have to pay more, for fewer special features, and no relative permanance. This is stupid.

Even dumber is the rumor that Universal will be charging around $40 (the extra cost is apparently to offset the money they'll save by not having to package or physically distribute their DVDs).

I swear, if they'd just sell downloads we could burn to DVD at a reasonable price piracy would start to disappear. But instead they're trying to prove some moronic point about how pirates will still steal their stuff.

Rosencrantz

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Just ramblin' on....
    • View Profile
Re: Movie Downloads
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 12:49:53 PM »
I dunno, even if they sold 'em for like 2 bucks I'd still download movies from P2P sites soley.  I mean, if I want to rent a movie, I want it imediately on DVD so I can watch it on my much larger than computer TV screen.  Other than that I see no reason to pay squat for a flick.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 01:12:03 PM »
I don't think your view is universal. The success of iTunes shows that people are perfectly willing to pay for their downloads. When you buy a download you can put on DVD, then you *have* the movie for the big screen. It's different from just downloading to watch on your crappy WMP or whatever. That's why the price and not allowing it on DVD are going to be deal breakers. There are absolutely *no* advantages to downloading over picking one up at WalMart, and several disadvantages.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 02:38:49 PM »
The problem with Itunes is that it's nowhere near the quality of a DVD. It's only really clear at the resolution of an ipod screen. Thus, I only download TV shows that I don't care to keep--like Lost, I don't mind not keeping long term; I just want to see it now. I might eventually buy it on DVD, but it's unlikely. Movies, I'll rent or buy on DVD. There's absolutely no sense to me in downloading a movie, paid or not, because of the high bandwidth it'd take up, and because I don't have a DVD burner and don't feel a need for one. I certainly wouldn't pay $30 for a one-time viewing, that's for sure.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 02:50:41 PM »
I was using iTunes more as an example of a venue, not as a movie source specifically.

My thought is more like this: $5 for a film that you can download and then burn to a CD. I'd buy that.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 04:21:12 PM »
Actually Stacer, the video files on iTunes are formatted for a regular TV screen and an ipod. They don't look great on a computer which has a higher resolution screen but everyone I've talked too says that they look great on a TV. Now if you've watched it on your TV then I take it all back. :D

You are right that they aren't DVD quality which is a higher resolution than most TV screens. But they apparently are broadcast quality.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 04:53:44 PM »
they're not broadcast quality but close enough it's hard to tell on most tvs.  We discussed iTunes videos a while ago in class.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 06:01:39 PM »
I didn't watch it on my TV, but it would still look bad, because I have an HDTV. So they need to start giving me my shows in high res, I say!

Speaking of watching it on my TV, does anyone know how to hook my laptop up to my TV? I just found out you can do that, especially if your computer has Media Center (which mine does). Do you just need the cables for audio and video?
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 02:49:13 AM »
I'm not sure how to do it with just the TV, but with an Xbox 360 all you have to do is press a little button on a Xbox universal remote and it will connect auto, or sort of. Of course thats probably only going to help you if you happened to have an Xbox, which you probably don't. Oh, and you need them networked.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 02:50:04 AM by OneEyedGreenPerson »
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 09:08:24 AM »
not knowing your computer well, you probably just need an s-video cable. but that may be off, so I'll shut up.

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 09:21:30 AM »
e's way is much more simple, I think. But still, if you happen to have an Xbox...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 09:22:12 AM by OneEyedGreenPerson »

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 12:23:19 PM »
S-video only gives you video--not sound. But I do have a hookup for S-video on my computer. And no, I don't have an X-Box.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2006, 03:07:49 AM »
You should have RCA audio jacks by your headphone jack, if not just run a y-splitter from your headphones to your tv.  
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
  • Only one man can kill this many Russians.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2006, 03:50:05 PM »
What Spriggan said for sound. You can get them from RadioShack or any other adapter/DIY electronics-based shop. Just get a headphone to to Phon (RCA jacks) and then use regular sound connections... unless you are super on top of it, and need a Digital Coaxial, or Fiber Optic, or direct sound.

As for the HDTV.....

The first question is why do you want to do this? If it is for fun, just to say you did... see #1.  If you want to surf and type see #2 If you want a gigantic monitor that makes use of the money you spent for HDTV see #3

#1: If you want the quickest easiest way, it is to grab some cables, use cheap adapters and plug it into the T.V. and tell the computer it has a new/second monitor. You should be warned, No matter what T.V. you have, the quality of video is GREATLY diminished to the point you will probably not be able to read anything in writing or understand anything except you have a large blurr that is supposed to be an icon or a person on the screen in a movie)

Result? Screen looks like crap (you can't read anything, and the icons/images look like the middle of a color pallete from a first grader). This is due to screen resolutions, I can with 90% accuracy say your laptop will send the signal with 480P in 60Hz (really really bad). The picture will be fuzzy, out of proportion (X/Y scale) and it will flash a lot. Not worth the money and time and future headaches you WILL have from looking at the screen.

#2: Buy a cheap converter.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104194&cp=&origkw=pc+to+tv+converter&kw=pc+to+tv+converter&parentPage=search
$100 is gone like that, but you have a quick, easy connection with a pretty good picture (as a general rule of thumb!! generic HDTV doesn't say enough, there are waaaay to many variables still to say whether or not it will work, like your HDTV resolution and hz., is it 720p/35hz.? 1080p/75hz.? 1080i/85hz.?etc...)

Result: Picture is decent, you can surf the web, write a paper etc... maybe watch a movie, if you like seeing the quality diminished and it looks like a regular T.V.

#3: Finally,... Buy a $100 DVI cable, a $400 HDTV ready/graphics card and throw away your old laptop and tell a sales guy you want the biggest baddest machine (make sure it is a desktop) ever, go home and make sure you are uninterrupted for 6 hours to set up your new system.

By far this will get you the best picture and your T.V. will resemble a monitor.  You will get a picture your T.V. was made for, although you will not be able to tune into HDTV signals until the next generation of graphic cards come out.

I am an electronics geek. Feel free to ask any other questions.. ..

....Suppose I got on a little rant......

ummm... Yeah!! I agree with EB, Stupid Universal. Noone would buy those.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 03:51:20 PM by FirstMateJack »
Delicious! Like a tall cool glass of Nestle' Quik mixed in Orange Juice!

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2006, 06:51:23 PM »
Who the heck is EB?

By the way stacer, if you happen to take the #3 route I sure do like laptops, hint hint.