Author Topic: Happy holidays, everyone!  (Read 10514 times)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Happy holidays, everyone!
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2009, 09:44:26 PM »
wow that is pretty intense. "Hey look, I just ate the state senate!!"
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 0
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2009, 10:07:52 PM »
wow that is pretty intense. "Hey look, I just ate the state senate!!"

heh, you calling it intense immediately brought one thought to mind.

XTREME CAKE EATING!!![/i]

This is cake eating wherein you have to eat cake while snowboarding on a monster truck made out of vipers through a snowy mountain side covered in hot lava. Or something there abouts.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2009, 10:40:53 PM »
Know what would be awesome?? XTREME CAKE EATING OLYMPICS!!!!!!!!!! LOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2009, 08:24:48 PM »
Happy Valentines/Single Awareness Day everyone! Maybe we'll get some cake out of it anyway....
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2009, 09:02:19 PM »
Always been a confussing day for me.  Well, when I was younger anyhow.

Happy Valentines Day!
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2009, 09:06:14 PM »
I've always wondered this, but have never taken the energy to actually find out… :P is the holiday called 'Valentines Day' or 'Valentine's Day'??
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2009, 05:07:42 PM »
I've always wondered this, but have never taken the energy to actually find out… :P is the holiday called 'Valentines Day' or 'Valentine's Day'??

It was originally called "Saint Valentine's Day", but now people just call it Valentine's day, with the ' i think.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2009, 07:54:11 PM »

It was originally called "Saint Valentine's Day", but now people just call it Valentine's day, with the ' i think.

It's still St. Valentine's Day, but corporations take the St. off because if people realize that it's a Catholic holiday they will lose a lot of business from non-Catholics.
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2009, 09:31:39 PM »
Holiday names and apostrophes confuse me.  For instance, is it Mothers Day or Mother's Day or Mothers' Day?
  • If we think of it as a day to celebrate mothers, or a day in which mothers are the theme, then we would use the adjectival form and say Mothers Day.  This would be a similar concept to Independence Day, Memorial Day, or Thanksgiving Day.
  • If we think of it as a day belonging to one particular mother (presumably mine), we would use the singular possessive and call it Mother's Day.  This would be like Someone's Birthday.
  • If we think of it as a day belonging to all mothers, then we would use the plural possessive and call it Mothers' Day.  This would be like the twins' or the octuplets' birthday.

I like the first and third options, but I can never decide which I prefer.  Whichever we use, though, we ought to be consistent and apply the same apostrophe pattern to holidays like Fathers(') Day, Veterans(') Day, All Saints(') Day, and Grandparents(') Day.

This brings us to February 14.  As Eerongal pointed out, the original name was St. Valentine's Day - so, etymologically speaking, the singular possessive form seems correct even when the St. part is dropped.  However, I might argue that either of the other forms could also be correct, if you think of the word valentine as having evolved to mean "special someone".  In this sense, the holiday can be seen as either celebrating or belonging to those special people in our lives whom we love - so it could be Valentines Day or Valentines' Day.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 10:50:20 PM by SarahG »
He ate my horse.

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2009, 10:36:21 PM »
Holiday names and apostrophes confuse me.  For instance, is it Mothers Day or Mother's Day or Mothers' Day?
  • If we think of it as a day to celebrate mothers, or a day in which mothers are the theme, then we would use the adjectival form and say Mothers Day.  This would be a similar concept to Independence Day, Memorial Day, or Thanksgiving Day.
  • If we think of it as a day belonging to one particular mother (presumably mine), we would use the singular possessive and call it Mother's Day.  This would be like Someone's Birthday.
  • If we think of it as a day belonging to all mothers, then we would use the plural possessive and call it Mothers' Day.  This would be like the twins' or the octuplets' birthday.

I like the first and third options, but I can never decide which I prefer.  Whichever we use, though, we ought to be consistent and apply the same apostrophe pattern to holidays like Fathers(') Day, Veterans(') Day, All Saints(') Day, and Grandparents(') Day.

This brings us to February 14.  As Eerongal pointed out, the original name was St. Valentine's Day - so, etymologically speaking, the singular possessive form seems correct even when the St. part is dropped.  However, I might argue that either of the other forms could also be correct, if you think of the word valentine as having evolved to mean "special someone".  In this sense, the holiday can be seen as either celebrating or belonging to those special people in our lives whom we love - so it could be Valentines Day or Valentines' Day.

this, here, is one of my major beefs with the english language. The fact that it is one of the most (THE most? i think it is, but i could be wrong) languages in existence, because there are so many rules that, when taken independently, have no overall impact, and convey their meaning without a doubt. However, at some point, the rules begin to overlap, and through speech and writing, the words original intent can become muddled.

This happens anytime you introduce a rules-intensive system. Eventually, they start stepping on one another's toes, and start causing problems. Language is no different. Since language is the art of communication, individual understandings get flipped and changed as to how one perceives what was meant.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2009, 09:35:12 AM »
Wrong thread for that.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2009, 12:07:42 AM »
Ok so back to the happy holidays. . . . . St. Patricks Day is coming up there folks!!! I know it might not be that important to everyone but it is a huge one for me. Let us all gather around a pitcher of green beer and listen to bagpipes while we dress in green and skip work on a Tuesday to get drunk while the sun is still up. Yay!!!
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2009, 12:09:36 AM »
Today is the most important holiday of all…………CHUCK NORRIS'S BIRTHDAY!!!!!! YEAHHH!!!!!!!!

(He's 69.)
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2009, 05:07:03 AM »
I celebrated St. David's day.  Probably won't celebrate St. Patrick's.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2009, 01:55:39 PM »
I celebrated St. David's day.  Probably won't celebrate St. Patrick's.

My family is Scott-Irish, so we celebrate it. We always make a big meal out of corn beef and cabbage!
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard