Author Topic: X-Men -- ***Spoilers***  (Read 14885 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: X-Men -- ***Spoilers***
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2003, 01:47:04 PM »
Why would her body reject the new adamantium and keep the old? How does it recognize the difference between an intentional implant and a combat-based injection?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2003, 02:10:01 PM »
The "old" adamantium is fused to her skeleton, the body can't eject it without ejecting every bone in her body. Assuming that the adamantium has holes in it to allow the blood vessels in and out, the body could adapt. That "new" adamantium, however, is filling up lots of places where it isn't supposed to be. It's a foreign object.

But on that subject... if Wolvie ends up fighting "himself" again in X3 I'm goign to write a letter to Mr. Singer demanding he come up with something more clever. In the first, he fights Mystique when she's in his shape. In the second, he fights someone exactly the same as him (but oh so female...) It's at once freudian and narcissistic and masochistic. How weird.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2003, 02:16:27 PM »
Maybe Mr. Singer is subconsciouly channeling "The Infinity War."  

*shudders*

Let's hope that material never finds its way to the big screen.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2003, 02:17:24 PM »
Maybe Magneto sucks all of the Adamantium from her body.

The most likely explanation for her appearence is Mystique.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2003, 02:33:13 PM »
Or maybe she's learned to replicate herself and there's a hundred copies of her fighting Keanu Reeves and...

oh. Wait....

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2003, 02:35:45 PM »
Why would anyone ever copy a movie???? ???
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2003, 02:39:37 PM »
Good filmakers create, great filmakers steal. ;D
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Chaosman

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Pie, oh yeah, I like pie
    • View Profile
    • Ledgermain Comics
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2003, 11:52:06 PM »
Deathstrike was already ejecting the adamantium. In the last frame where Wolverine goes to stop the base, from flooding, you see that the tank Deathstrike fell into is filling with little silver filaments -- Hot Adamantium!

As for other easter Eggs, the computer Mystique hacks also has a folder marked Sentinals and one marked Lazarus (Prehaps forshadowing Apocalyse?)

When she seduces the guard of Magneto's Prison, she calls him 'Lo-baax', prehaps a mockery of the name Leabeu, as in my favorite mutant. I think This guy is some relation to Gambit (prays for his apperance in the next movie, as his cameo was cut)

The was the Stark Industries logo and I heard the name mentioned on the museum PA as well.

I've heard lots of rumors -- from Sentinals to Omega Red to Muir Island and Apocalypse for X3. One thing is for sure -- we will see Phoenix, though how thier going to change the ancient Alien Guardian of the Shie-ar is anyone's guess
A plan is something you make before its needed. A good plan is one you make two seconds before you need it.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2003, 04:34:23 AM »
So I saw X2...well, it was okay, in my opinion.  Lots of great action, but it lacked a definitive conflict for me.  There was a lot of conflict, but perhaps too much, because I felt that in trying to treat too many sub-plots it took away from the movie as a whole.  But I like my movies pretty tight plot-wise.  And these powers all of a sudden growing...Jean Gray's was a little believable, but all of a sudden Prof. X is powerful enough to kill everyone on Earth?  I know, he could probably do that before, but whoa, Nelly!  You'd think that's the first thing someone would tell you about a guy.  Top of the resume kind of stuff.  I thought that they were trying to get him to use Cerebro to try and find all of the mutants to hunt them down.  But that he could kill them...that just seems a little too much for me.

Lest I come down too hard on the movie, let me mention that I think that the introduction of Kurt Wagner was awesome.  I know next to nothing when it comes to overall X-Men storyline, so I hadn't been too familiar with Nightcrawler.  His character was the best thing about the movie, in my opinion.  The faith and idealism and general niceness about him, besides the fact that his opening scene was the best of the movie, made him my favorite character.  I'm writing this as a general response to the movie without having read the whole thread previous so I'm probably repeating some things.  Maybe my biggest complaint with the movie was that Kurt did not take more of a leading or assertive role.  After he expressed his idealism to Storm (where he seemed to become a very strong character,) he got pretty passive.  So that's all...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2003, 04:36:12 AM by Lieutenant_Kije »

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2003, 02:24:43 PM »
Oh, and I would have thought that Storm would know a little bit more about using her powers responsibly...I wonder how many people she killed by creating dozens of tornados over New York State, or wherever they were at the time.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2003, 02:33:13 PM »
And while I'm thinking about it...

That "new" adamantium, however, is filling up lots of places where it isn't supposed to be. It's a foreign object.

Filling up her lungs, maybe?  Would her body know to reject the adamantium from the lungs, which are accustomed to accepting foreign objects (air particles, for example?)  Perhaps she could be killed (and wolverine as well) by suffocation.  Unless her body can manufacture oxygen to keep itself alive.  But I don't know enough about the X-Men to know if ex nihilo nihil fit applies.  So I don't know if she comes back or not, but that's how I justify thinking she's dead.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2003, 03:55:59 PM »
I think you're thinking about BOTH those events too much. Well, three, counting the whole major powers things. X-Men falls into a little respected category of SF called Superheroes. It has two sets of physics: one for normal people, and then a second for superbeings. Batman can stay awake for weeks at a time with no diminished performance. Unexplained things happen to superbeings, which is why in X-Men is scares people to death. If you want to pick on it like that, how does an altered gene allow Storm to alter weather, something that is completely external to her? etc. There are too many highly unlikelies, even given a few changes to the science system in the body of fiction to pick on things like that. Yes, when you've established that something COULD do something, (for example, even someone with a neat healing factor can die) then yeah, you have to justify an exception. However, part of the genre is that you don't have to explain variations of the anamoly or objections to your explanation. Another part of it is that people not on the page don't exist unless it becomes directly germain to the story.

You'll enjoy SPB fiction a lot more if you stop thinking of it as "normal" science fiction.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2003, 09:15:15 PM »
Oh, and I would have thought that Storm would know a little bit more about using her powers responsibly...I wonder how many people she killed by creating dozens of tornados over New York State, or wherever they were at the time.

Responsible or not, wouldn't it have been a lot more effective to start tossing lightning around?
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2003, 10:54:22 PM »
Yes, but lightning's been done to death. Tornados made for a more interesting visual.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2003, 01:02:42 AM »
If I remember right, her tornadoes never touched the ground, so they weren't really all that destructive to innocent bystanders. I lived in Denver for years and saw a lot of tornadoes, the ones that never touched the ground were just shrugged off by everyone (someone might have to get a new roof or something, but that's about it).

Actually think the tornadoes would be a lot more effective than lightning. One of the many reasons that tornadoes are so dangerous is that they tend to act like a blender to everything they hit. Course what amazed me is that they had Storm dogfighting the best pilots and jets ever to exist. Most pilots won't get anywhere close to a tornado because of the amount of turbulance would tear them apart before they even hit the thing.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.