Local Authors > Writing Group

Writing Prompts!

<< < (3/29) > >>

SturmKrähe:
I came up with something similar to Necroben's
I submitted it on 365 tales, but its not up yet so here it is instead of a link.
I hope its not too long a post.

The days of my youth are full of fond memory.
Jumping over stones pretending they housed capture spirits screaming MINE! MINE!
Or running through the tall grass playing at ambushing eastern heretics with my cousins.
But my strongest memory is one of pride, my Naming Day.
This I remember.
"We remember with you."

With excitement filling us we sat around the Smokey fire,Thinking of the three who would not join us in adulthood.
A shadowy figure walked towards the fire light, stooped with age, his face wrinkled, hard and sun browned like old leather, 
his eyes glittering like blue gems as he walked around us chanting in the old tongue.

MEM SLASH SEE he spoke.
Return we solemnly replied.

UNLOCK SEE COLON he said.
Return.

Standing before each of us in turn, he looking into our eyes,
he painted arcane symbols of the past on our faces.
I felt envy when he painted the marks of the Great Silver Bird on shadow-eye’s face,
but then he stood before me.

I speak to the window of your soul he whispered.
I await the prompt. I eagerly replied.
Sis runs-free colon slash See colon.
"return" I said, and a great dizziness overcame me.
visions of the days searching "Greatsidy" for my adult name flashed before me.

walking with caution and reverence across the strange black rock of Greatsidy, I whispered
a prayer to honor the ancestors in there rows of metal Toombs, and asked Greatsidy
for guidance.
Cracking thunder sounded in the distance echoing doom, a capture spirit claiming one of my fellow searchers.
My heart filled with fear, but I did not show it.
I held my place until night fall, Greatsidy had shown me a sign.

My heart leapt with joy when the craggy faced Puter shaman painted my face in colors
of bravery,loyaty, and wisdom. Red, green and gold.
Rename See Colon Slash "runs-free"  Yields-to-God RETURN!

That night I took up the shamans robes as well as my name.
I Yields-to-god Remember.
"We remember with you"
ENDFILE!

MrPaperCamel:
I have run into a technical problem I think. I want to comment on responses posted before me, and I also want to post my own response. I know there is a no double posting rule but I am curious if this is random exception. I like to try and keep my thoughts very organized and together when I put them to paper so putting everything into one post seems counter to that. I can forgo that here if people feel I need to, but wanted to bring it up in case I can still adhere to that in some way I might not be seeing right now.

@jjb

Your idea of color worshipers intrigues me. I am very curious how this idea started in your world. Where did it start and how did it grow. Who started the assassinations  and the genocides?Might not be important topics, but those are the kinds of things I usually ask.

For the deaths from your Yellow worshipers, my first though went to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaundice. I am not sure how you would explain inflicting such a thing on a person, but not exactly my thing to research =p. If nothing else, hope that give you a place to start.

Writing Prompt: Develop a religion where people worship something that no one would ever worship in our world. And it can’t be silly.

I envision an entire town that has been transported a few hundred years into the future. The town would be very small settlement of people in a pre-industrial society who are shifted to a time where electronic systems have been widely implemented and become more standardized. A highly technological society with patternized and highly recognizable systems.

The people from the time shifted town would begin to see entry systems as tools from the gods of access. Keypads and card readers would become holy objects to them. These objects would be how the gods spoke to them. Being able to pass into an area would be a sign of acceptance and great rejoice. Anytime you were able to enter would be a holy-ing experience. Anytime you were unable to access an area would be a sign that you have committed some sin. You would need to remove yourself from the group and cleanse yourself. You must purge yourself of whatever sin you have committed against the gods of access.

There also would be inhabitants from the current time period that begin to join this religion. All followers would be at first accepted, but soon a division of people from the original village and current time followers would emerge. The time shifted citizens would feel that they are the true chosen ones, and anyone from the current time period can never be as holy. Anytime a new time follower could not access an area, they would not be allowed the same leniency for cleansing. Since they were not of the chosen group, the could never be fully cleansed and would thereby be excommunicated.

CabbyHat:
Thanks for the idea, Puck! I also thought of a faction that deliberately inflicts pain on themselves, rather than waiting for it to occur naturally and blessedly, and were excommunicated for it but were too addicted to pain to stop.

Jjb, you have a fantastic idea there; I love it. And I can't remember what they are right now, but there are certain poisons that cause the skin to take on a yellowish hue after death.

Spriggan:
Our double posting rule is mostly to keep people from spamming to get levels.  If you think enough time has passed that people may not see an edit because they've already read the post then feel free to double post--especially in threads like this which are idea sharing based, we tend to be less strict on some forum rules on threads like these.

mbarker:

--- Quote from: Spriggan on August 15, 2008, 07:01:00 PM ---Our double posting rule is mostly to keep people from spamming to get levels.  If you think enough time has passed that people may not see an edit because they've already read the post then feel free to double post--especially in threads like this which are idea sharing based, we tend to be less strict on some forum rules on threads like these.

--- End quote ---

Okay . . . um, where would one find these rules? I did a little poking around and didn't see a FAQ (well, I found one link to one that deadended in a broken link). Willing to read the rules, but I'm not sure where to find them? [Levels? We've got levels? Do we have ladders and snakes, too?]

And after another round of searching, by way of Brandon's intro, I found this http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=11.0

Still no ladders and snakes, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version