Departments > Books

What are you reading, part 3

<< < (368/369) > >>

Peter Ahlstrom:
But...Lloyd Alexander is brilliant. Eddings doesn't hold a candle to him; I wouldn't mention them in the same breath.

maxonennis:

--- Quote from: Peter Ahlstrom on August 11, 2011, 07:02:55 PM ---But...Lloyd Alexander is brilliant. Eddings doesn't hold a candle to him; I wouldn't mention them in the same breath.

--- End quote ---

Agreed. Eddings always came off as racist to me.

mtbikemom:
Yes, I still think Alexander is brilliant.  His best books hold up to the test of time better than any of Edding's.  I only mention them in the same breath, so to speak, because I discovered them at about the same time and they were all the fantasy I knew of for a long while.  Eddings was sweet and wholesome, despite some issues that were not obvious to me at the time and which I believe were largely unintentional. Polgara the Sorceress was nearly awesome, but I agree that Lloyd Alexander is a cut above anything else from that era, especially for such a broad audience.  Timeless classics.

Nessa:

--- Quote from: Sigyn on August 04, 2011, 08:22:29 PM ---I'm reading Across the Great Barrier by Patricia C. Wrede, and I like it so far, though it's hard because I haven't felt much like reading lately. This was the only thing I've picked up that held my attention for more than two minutes.

--- End quote ---

It's on my to-read list. I enjoyed the first one quite a bit. Let me know how you like it.

Pink Bunkadoo:
As much as I love Lloyd Alexander (he kissed me on the cheek once) his non-Prydain stuff is pretty much all the same. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version