• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: comic
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2005, 12:47:02 PM »
quick! I need ideas for a script! it's lunch time and about the last chance I'll have to make a comic!

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2005, 01:14:06 PM »
Spider-Man looks at a wall, his sense tingles. Enter Venom swinging down from a mouse, Carnage pulls Spidey out of the way and replaces with, Batman! Wham!
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2005, 01:17:56 PM »
anybody? Anyone at all?

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2005, 01:19:29 PM »
Batman runs by Carnage, Carnage looks dumbfounded. Replace last panel with DC and Marvel logos.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2005, 01:22:23 PM »
actually, Batman HAS fought Carnage before. Spidey was taking on Joker at the same time.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2005, 01:45:42 PM »
ok, I threw this together. It's the result of all my toys being in boxes. I hope you enjoy it.

changing the font face to Tahoma didn't help. I'm thinking it's a software issue now.

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2005, 01:47:29 PM »
Spidey standing in front of a sink brushing teeth (could be on a sink in your work's bathroom), combing hair whatever.  Another spidey swings in, fiddles in front of the mirror.  Original spidey turns to look at him.  New spidey finishes, goes away.  Original spidey, looking in the direction the new spidey went thinks, "Who is that guy?"
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2005, 01:58:22 PM »
 I like that. Maybe I'll find a way to make it at home. Or, if I get exceedingly bored, I'll reopen the box.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2005, 02:05:28 PM »
and another thing...

I really need to name it and set up the domain alias so I can install software and test it.

I was leaning heavily to "The Kung Fu Magic Kingdom," but JP told me he doesn't like it. Of course, he ALSO told me the comic wasn't funny, so what does he know (note, I'm not bitter, seriously, I have to expect that people won't like it, but it just seems I should listen to the opinions of people who LIKE the comic when naming it).

So, since it had the most votes, and I like it, that's probably what I'll go with. The url will probably be http://kungfu.herbertlives.com or else http://kfmk.herbertlives.com. I think the first will be easier to remember.

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2005, 02:08:52 PM »
You may hate me for this, but the waterbottle and mouse thing is my favorite so far.  That's hilarious.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2005, 02:12:15 PM »
I don't hate you. It made me giggle when I thought of it. And since I had a lack of other ideas, I went ahead and did it.

Spidey standing in front of a sink brushing teeth (could be on a sink in your work's bathroom), combing hair whatever.  Another spidey swings in, fiddles in front of the mirror.  Original spidey turns to look at him.  New spidey finishes, goes away.  Original spidey, looking in the direction the new spidey went thinks, "Who is that guy?"

You know, I figured out EXACTLY how I'm going to do this. My kids have a Barbie sink. About fifty of them, actually. I can find a way to make the scale work. I just need to see if I can focus the camera my in-laws have.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 02:13:52 PM by SaintEhlers »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2005, 04:12:15 PM »
ok, so I'm almost done with your comic CMS and I have a few questions.

1) How do you want to handle rants (if any)?  PA/S&F style?  PvP style?  MT style?  Or one I'm not thinking of?

2) how would you like to post comics and have the program update them?  I was planning on haveing you enter a date for them, but you can also have it check the comic name (and have that name be a date) or something else.

3) is there anything you want added specificaly that I may not of thought of?  Basiclay I've got a rants/comic and a way to add other pages based of a template for extras or what ever.  Not to many things there, just the basics.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2005, 04:27:57 PM »
I want to put comments underneath. like Irregular Webcomic or Sam and Fuzzy

I also want to be able to key word things for searches. Each character, storyline type. Look at Irregular Webcomic to see that in action. One final neat thing would be if I could enter the dialog so that could be searched to.
A calander showing days there are comics would be great.
And a way to select an avatar for a post would be kinda cool

Honestly, Kamikaze has all the functionality I want, and has an easy interface for uploading the comics. There's only one thing that it doesn't do that I'd like it to do, and that's show an entire week's worth of strips at a time, like Sluggy Freelance or much of Keenspot does. Here's a screen shot of the Kamikaze add comic interface. Edit is very similar, and the rest is easy to extrapolate.

edit: one other feature. I want to be able to upload several comics and have it automatically post them on the date they are supposed to run. I think Kamikaze does that, but I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2005, 01:05:34 PM by SaintEhlers »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2005, 12:48:35 PM »
So, I tried one at home. I used Skar's script and some set design by Jeffe (he came over last night and while here he helped me make the Barbie furniture look to scale). I also used my in-law's camera, which is much more basic than the one at work and, surprisingly, I got the shots done quickly. I also used an older version of the program I was using at work.

I think it turned out pretty darn good.

The old version of the program rendered the text MUCH better, and actually has more callot options.

The simpler camera convinces me that I won't have to buy one quite as expensive as I thought.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2005, 12:57:29 PM »
What's "callot"?

Yeah, that text rendering is much better.

Personally I like comic fonts for comics. blambot.com has a ton of them that can be used for free in independent comics. If you like something with both upper and lowercase, Mighty Zeo is a good free one. (Manga Temple is the only free font I really hate, though I'm not too thrilled with ACME Secret Agent either.)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2005, 12:58:13 PM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!