Local Authors > Eric James Stone

Screenplay formatting

<< < (2/4) > >>

House of Mustard:
So, I've never tried writing screenplays, but I've read them, and I must say: what the frickin' heck?  What in the world is so complicated about the formatting that it would require $200 software?

Eric James Stone:
Well, it doesn't require such software -- it's possible to format a screenplay correctly using a typewriter.  But it is a lot more complicated than your average novel manuscript formatting.

The Word template I mentioned above helps a lot by giving you styles that handle the particular formatting for different elements.  But since it's in Word, you still have available everything Word can do that is not proper screenplay format.  A well-written dedicated program would restrict you to using proper screenplay elements and formatting.

You might find the list of features for Movie Magic Screenwriter interesting.

House of Mustard:
Hey neat.  You can download the entire program as a demo -- you just can't print.  I'll need to try it out.

guitarbabe:
I need a good screenwriting program! I tried to write a screenplay without it and it's a headache, especially when you go back and edit and you have to put (cont) after each piece of dialogue that drags onto another page. The program will do ALL of that for you. I just have to get some money to get it!

kaimipono:
This looks useful, Eric.  It's light-years ahead of <tab><tab><tab>, anyway -- thanks for the tip.  

Since this is a good tip you've provided, I'll make sure to name one of my screenplay characters after you.  Perhaps the undead kleptomaniac robot.  Or maybe his next-door-neighbor, the dance instructor who gets eaten by an airsick platypus at the end of Act 2.  

Either way, you're in.  There's no such thing as bad publicity.  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version