Author Topic: Revenge of the Sith Bittorrent Discussion  (Read 3286 times)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: Revenge of the Sith Bittorrent Discussion
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2005, 11:50:02 PM »
*nods*

I think this only reenforces everything that Skar was saying.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2005, 11:52:23 PM »
Oh I rarely listen to him  ;D
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Dex1138

• Level 8
  • Resident Star Wars Geek
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Page
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2005, 12:39:20 PM »
I mainly use it like Jeffe said, for catching unreleased or recently missed tv eps.
I  also use it as a demo too for pc games, music and even RPG books. If I like it I'll buy it, if not it gets deleted.
Even if I had Ep3 on my PC I'd still go to the theatre to really enjoy it. I'd likely only use the dowloaded version to rewatch specific scenes.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 12:39:43 PM by Dex1138 »

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2005, 01:47:09 PM »
Osleon might be right about 2nd and 3rd viewings... if you have a copy no matter what the defect, would you spend 8 bucks on the ticket? Heck no.

This is a flaw that Scar has the solution too I think, in a marginal way.

But its still a couple of years off.

Projection HD technology.

Have movie theaters send content directly to homes to be displayed on screens with HD projectors.

Distribute the movie legally with DRM and your set.

Ok its a pipe dream, because movies are one of the few shared experiences left, but I almost prefer seeing movies at home. A larger screen at home would tilt the balance toward home even more.

Sound systems are already better than many theaters at least for the space they occupy.

Oseleon

• Level 8
  • Wie Fieles Russlander Fur Ein Panzer Halten?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2005, 02:01:08 PM »
As to what gets the greater use for BT
Legit
or
Pirate

I really cant say as there are several ways to quantify that.  
Total bandwith dedicated
Total download connections
etc..

A Linux distro can be 3GB in size.. Meaning ALOT of Bandwith is used...
Where Pirate apps can be 32MB to 4GB
Pirate TV 300-700MB
Pirate Movies as large as 4GB

So A bunch of legit downloaders could pull down Terrabytes more data with fewer connections than Pirate users or vice-versa

10 people downloading a pirate 32MB app would not come NEAR the ammount of bandwith used as  1 person pulling down a Linux Distro.  

When the Lawyers start talking, remember that.  Because they will hand-select the figure that meets their needs.  

Its like the figures on Gun use.  Some groups use the number of Fatalities in gun-crime, some use the number of shootings, some use the number of crimes averted by guns,  and some create statistical filters beyond the comprehension of Steven Hawkins
Alles!!!

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2005, 07:14:17 PM »
The FBI shut down the server hosting the starwars movie and are going after the owners and members of the site.  If people were useing their real names to register at an illegal distrabution site then they diserve to be caught.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/crime_starwars_dc
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2005, 08:20:26 PM »
yeah 7 days too late... its global, and on thousands of Servers, servers you dont have to register for. Pirate Bay is a good example, foreign country different laws and currently hosting 8 different torrents of it (both pirates from inside a theater and the screener)  So while they might catch the perp they wont be catching the downloaders.

As for going after members of the site... the FBI is gonna get creamed in court, a lot of bittorrent sites are duel use and the legitimate torrent folks are gonna get ticked. Since its next to impossible to track the downloaders of a torrent unless they are actually involved in sharing it will be interesting to see what happens.

Oseleon

• Level 8
  • Wie Fieles Russlander Fur Ein Panzer Halten?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2005, 10:50:19 AM »
Interesting....Mind Numbingly Interesting
Alles!!!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2005, 11:53:34 AM »
J.T. and I were talking about this the other day. Paying for internet access is more important to us than paying for television. If they uploaded the files with commercials kept in, we'd watch them, though.  If the TV networks uploaded torrent quality files to their OWN websites - with commericals left in - for free download, I'd watch them there.

I would, too, especially for shows that I miss consistently because I can never remember when they're on. I only saw about 3 episodes of Lost last year for that reason. And given the example of the guy who hosted it on his site, it probably wouldn't cost the TV stations too much to maintain.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing